Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I liked but didn't love Lords of Shadows so not altogether convinced but I'll give Mercury Stream the benefit of the doubt since LoS was far better than I expected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I would say Lord of Shadows was a God of War clone that was actually a bit better than God of War. A fairly punishing but rewarding game on higher difficulties. Great production values and art design, though.

Curious to see how they get on with the old school Castlevania template.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Are the 3D Castlevanias any good?

I love all the "metroidvania" ones, and just finished symphony of the night again last week actually :D.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Are the 3D Castlevanias any good?

I love all the "metroidvania" ones, and just finished symphony of the night again last week actually :D.

Not really. Lords of Shadow only has a very light 'Metroidvania' feel to it (mostly collectible chests you can go back and get if you want), and is mostly more similar to God of War than any of the previous Castlevania games. Still very enjoyable on its own terms though.

Full Lords of Shadow sequel announced too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wouldn't even call it a light metroidvania feel, it's pure God of War really.

The other 3D Castlevaniasare disappointing with the best being Lamennt of Innocence on PS2 and the most remarkable thing about that game is that it has the worst plot twist ever, up there with Bionic Commando.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'm not overly excited about this sequel, becuase I wasn't really mad about the first LoS. It was a good game, for sure. But I just wasn't anything special. Mind you, it's early days for this one. On the other hand, that's one of the best trailers I've seen in a very long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I loved Lords of Shadow, my favourite game of 2010! Gabriel was much easier to sympathise with than Kratos, which is probably why I enjoyed it more than GoW. The trailer for 2 is amazing, but it doesn't tell us much about the game! Hopefully will contain more exploration and nods to old Castlevania games.

Don't read if you haven't finished LoS:
    if we play as Gabriel in 2, there are some very cool gameplay possibilities, with his new powers. It looks like he still uses the whip anyway.

Looking forward to seeing more details about Mirror of Fate, love them Metroidvania titles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

So this is out on Friday. The only 'review' I can find is on the Guardian website. The game is out in the States tomorrow, but none of the main sites have a review up yet.

I hope that isn't a bad sign. I've really been looking forward to a new portable Castlevania.

Anybody heard anything? Really hoping this is good.

Heard some negativity. Enemies are sponges for damage and the combat doesn't really work that well in 2D.

Also the Metroid type elements are badly implemented where it might as well be a linear game. Not sure I trust those reviews but the demo has major pacing issues with the enemies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Wasn't a fan of the demo at all. Another one to pick up cheap I think.

• Advertisement

The frame rate in the demo was shocking, and particularly pronounced given the reliance on fast attacks, dodges and blocks. I really wish they'd have downplayed their ambitions graphically if it meant stable FPS.

Hard to call other than that, demo was a mere teaser. Curious to see how reviews turn out, but such a tight embargo can more often than not be a cause for concern.

I'm excited to play the final game. The combat is quite different to the Metroidvania games, but I loved LoS once I got used to it so I'm hoping MoF is a similar experience. The demo hinted at the exploration possibilities, hopefully it delivers.

I'm in States at the moment though, so a friend is shipping over an EU copy to me here...the 3DS region lock is so irritating.

First few in. Very very mixed (ouch at IGN)

Eurogamer
    7/10
    Metro
    8/10
    IGN
    4.7/10
    CVG
    8.4/10
    Nintendo Life
    8/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That IGN review was savage, but you can tell the reviewer loves Castlevania, so I think it all seems pretty fair.

Several reviewers point out its the best (handheld) Castlevania in years. Which is a completely meaningless statement since the last 'traditional' Castlevania games is around five years old!

Strange how different the IGN review was, but they're good overall. Looking forward to getting stuck into this!

Jeremy Parish should be putting up a review of the game on 1up as a last hurrah for the site and isn't impressed at all with it it sounds from his blog. He is an big Vania fan though.

Some quotes from jeremy parish on his blog:
    Even if you like Lords of Shadow, Mirror of Fate is a different game. And a worse one.

That being said, I did confess to enjoying Lords of Shadow, so my perspective may be a bit different. I still want another IGA-vania, though, dang it!
    Unfortunately I feel like it’s lackluster by any definition. I’d hoped for better.

http://telebunny.net/toastyblog/2013/03/nobody-loves-grant-danasty/#comments

• Advertisement

I picked it up today. I'm weak :pac:

Me too. :)

I'll post some feedback tonight when I've played an hour of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

cloud493 wrote: »
    I picked it up today. I'm weak :pac:
    Mr E wrote: »
    Me too. :)

I'll post some feedback tonight when I've played an hour of it.

Its Castlevania, its hard to say no. Let us know what its like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Decent enough game. Very little challenge and some retarded level design bits, but it's fun if you're into brainless stuff

This is actually my first castlevania game, apart from the lords of shadow demo on the PS3.

cloud493 wrote: »
    This is actually my first castlevania game, apart from the lords of shadow demo on the PS3.

Christ sake man, get yourself Symphony of the Night as soon as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

€49.99 in Gamestop it's not in the trade two games and €9.99 deal neither.

Probably 33 euros on playasia. That US 3DS is coming in handy.

OK I've played the first 1h55m of the game (up to beating the 2nd proper boss). Sorry IGN and Jeremy, I'm firmly in the "Damn, this is a great game" category. Don't get me wrong, I'd love another 2D sprite-based Castlevania from Igarashi-san, but don't piss all over this game because it doesn't look or play exactly like the others.

The reviewers that gave this 8/10 and 80% ratings were bang on the money.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Christ sake man, get yourself Symphony of the Night as soon as possible.

I agree, this statement applies to anyone who hasn't played SOTN. It's on XBLA and PSN!

Incidentally, SOTN art is among the items Konami UK just posted on Pinterest, some lovely stuff here: http://pinterest.com/konamiuk/castlevania/

Advertisement