Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Bank Accounts

Options
  • 30-05-2012 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, but i have had no luck in finding a topic on this as of yet.

Straight to the Point: I need to know, what the "Best" Bank is, to open up a new student account with.

There are many out there to choose from, some offer more than others but are generally the same, apart from a few that i would stay away from, here is a list of what i think would be the best to be with, but i STILL cannot make my mind up.

>> Bank of Ireland
    >> AIB
    >> Ulster Bank
    >> PTSB

Thats about all i can think of, so, if any of you know of more, or could offer advice about opening a new student account that would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

I have a student acc with BOI, AIB and UB.

If i had to choose one to keep it would be BOI, mostly because they have a branch on campus but also because it was very easy to get a credit card from them and the credit card has good rates when being used abroad compared to the others. Also they do student travel loans €2000 interest free for 9 months.
    Also BOI have a boards rep which is handy.

Having said that ive nothing actually bad to say about the other 2

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

IMightKnow wrote: »
    I have a student acc with BOI, AIB and UB.

If i had to choose one to keep it would be BOI, mostly because they have a branch on campus but also because it was very easy to get a credit card from them and the credit card has good rates when being used abroad compared to the others. Also they do student travel loans €2000 interest free for 9 months.
    Also BOI have a boards rep which is handy.

Having said that ive nothing actually bad to say about the other 2

Sounds good to me - i suppose, its generally, what you prefare etc.

you say they have one on campus, i never mentioned what college i was going to.. how'd you know? :P :D

Hopefully, this topic will attract other responses - so i can other opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

personally i have ulster bank student current account and credit card. accounts were opened and operating within 15 mins of walking into the bank with my documentation. applied for student overdraft and student credit card & had both within the week.

never had any problems with ulster bank! Id defo recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'm with AIB and Ulster Bank.

Current account and Credit Card (mastercard) with AIB, walked into a branch was had both cards within a week. Credit card has a limit of €600 and I was offered an overdraft with the current (i think up to €1500?) but didn't take that.

Visa debit with Ulster with interest free overdraft of €650, applied online and had my card in about a week.

Prefer AIB myself just because most people I need to transfer money to are also with AIB so its instant and no need to wait 2-3 working days for the funds to transfer.

I suppose its personal preference for alot of people on here.

And for a simple fix i could walk into whatever branch, is closest to me, regardless of the Bank - but in today's economic climate, i don't want to just give any bank my custom.

With student accounts, we don't pay fees regardless of the bank your with, right?

I know BOI is releasing a VISA Debit soon, so that's a plus, not sure about AIB, but i have heard they are to follow suit, as to when, no idea..

urghh... still not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Mr.S wrote: »
    Prefer AIB myself just because most people I need to transfer money to are also with AIB so its instant and no need to wait 2-3 working days for the funds to transfer.

There was a law came in 1 January 2012. It only takes one day now to transfer money between european banks

• Advertisement
Advertisement