Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof By Contradiction

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

What proof is everyone learning for this? Does it have to be related to Geometry?

Would this one be ok?

http://educ.jmu.edu/~taalmala/235_2000post/235contradiction.pdf

We did both the root of 2 is irrational and the geometry one in class to be covered in case they ask for a geometry one. That looks fine though anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

ChemHickey wrote: »
    We did both the root of 2 is irrational and the geometry one in class to be covered in case they ask for a geometry one. That looks fine though anyway!

Sound :) Could you point me in the direction of a Geometry one? Just to be on the safe side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

Anyone know what you say to explain proof by contradiction? i.e. the question that was in the 2012 sample? (6A)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

ChemHickey wrote: »

Sound :) Could you point me in the direction of a Geometry one? Just to be on the safe side!

I don't have a link to it atm I'm on my phone but if you check up one of these on Google

to show a tangent only touches a circle once
    or to show a tangent touches a circle at 90 degrees to the centre.

i think it's the second one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

K_1 wrote: »
    Anyone know what you say to explain proof by contradiction? i.e. the question that was in the 2012 sample? (6A)

To show a proposition is true, assume its opposite is true and then show that leads to a concussion that is false!
    Thus, the original proposition is true because its opposite is false.
    (it is assumed that a proposition is either true or false)

if that makes sense :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement