Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OL english. ( answer's needed ) ????

• 30-05-2012 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi ;)
    Im wondering what are peoples predictions for the poetry for pass level?
    And does 1 prescribed from the pre. nearly always come up?
    Because i dont know what poems i should be looking at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭lynchy101

If you are asking questions like that at this stage then you are dead for the exam.

My advice would be to cut your losses and repeat next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭david....

lynchy101 wrote: »
    If you are asking questions like that at this stage then you are dead for the exam.

ah shut the hell up lad. ud swear u knew it all! im only doing OL and got 60 in the pre without any study. and iv done a small bit already for english so hopefully il be getting that anyway again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

lynchy101 wrote: »

That's not helpful or useful. Having a pessimistic attitude at this stage before the exams is only adding to stress the students are experiencing.

David, the mocks are not related to the actual state exams, their main interest is making a profit selling the papers to schools so I wouldn't rely on that. There are not always patterns...some people infamously believed Boland would be a definite in a Higher Level paper one year but she never appeared. Your best bet is to have a good idea of 2-3 and be able to do one more reasonably, that way there is a good chance of one that you know coming up. Don't even attempt trying to learn poets you haven't covered already, you won't be able to do it in time. Rather than learn answers try to have an understanding of the poems and their theme and meanings, that way you can attempt any sort of question asked about them. Quotations are not necessary in a good answer so having the odd quote is fine, just make references to the poem as you talk about it. Make your point and explain it and always relate back to the question otherwise all you're doing is summing up a poem.

You have 6 days from here to get yourself comfortable enough to answer a question with confidence. Head down and best of luck.

david.... wrote: »
    ah shut the hell up lad. ud swear u knew it all! im only doing OL and got 60 in the pre without any study. and iv done a small bit already for english so hopefully il be getting that anyway again!

Look it sounds like you're not too intelligent so I will keep it simple.

You are screwed for your Leaving Cert,an exam which determines the rest our your life.

Have fun working in Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

lynchy101, abusive comments will not be tolerated. Anything further will result in a ban.

If you have nothing helpful to add to the thread, do not contribute.

• Advertisement

lynchy101, abusive comments will not be tolerated. Anything further will result in a ban.

If you have nothing helpful to add to the thread, do not contribute.

Sorry,I may have overstepped the line.I really do have his best interests at heart though.I read a recent statistic that people who do pass for Leaving Cert English are 50% more likely to go to prison.Crazy stuff.

Won't happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ah, lynchy, lynchy ... some things are immutable parts of the circle of time!

The LC rolls round each year and so do you!

You really should get over your fascination with this forum! ... d'ya know, I think a holiday from it might help?

Let's say a month, to be on the safe side! ;)

Ah, lynchy, lynchy ... some things are immutable parts of the circle of time!

The LC rolls round each year and so do you!

You really should get over your fascination with this forum! ... d'ya know, I think a holiday from it might help?

Let's say a month, to be on the safe side! ;)

No I apologize.It won't happen again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just in case anyone paid any heed to some recent foolish posts, very few people in prison have attained anything near Leaving Cert. standard education.

Some people make themselves feel good by making others feel bad. Learning how to spot these types early on in life is a useful skill to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

david.... wrote: »
    Hi ;)
    Im wondering what are peoples predictions for the poetry for pass level?
    And does 1 prescribed from the pre. nearly always come up?
    Because i dont know what poems i should be looking at?

There's really no way to predict what will come up for OL poetry. I'm assuming you know that the 36 poems are split into two camps - the ones that are also prescribed for higher and the ones that are only prescribed for ordinary. Of the four poems that come up on the exam two are taken from each camp. I would suggest that you choose one of these groups and statistically you can leave out one of the poems ensuring you'll know at least one really well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement