Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who wants to Gok Wan my '07 MBP??

Options
  • 31-05-2012 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭

ok so after years of loyal service,my poor old MacBook Pro is getting a bit tired
    I think it's time for a mid-life upgrade of sorts as I'm going to be using it to edit video soon as part of a new Job,

I have done Zero maintenance over it's life span,other than sticking an extra 1gb of ram in it a couple of years ago and upgrading to Leopard 10.5.8

I'm looking at a ram and HDD upgrade,any thoughts?

do I Go SSD or S-ATA for a new HD?

Snow Leopard or Lion/Mountain Lion??

thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

punchdrunk wrote: »
    ok so after years of loyal service,my poor old MacBook Pro is getting a bit tired
    I think it's time for a mid-life upgrade of sorts as I'm going to be using it to edit video soon as part of a new Job,

I have done Zero maintenance over it's life span,other than sticking an extra 1gb of ram in it a couple of years ago and upgrading to Leopard 10.5.8

I'm looking at a ram and HDD upgrade,any thoughts?

do I Go SSD or S-ATA for a new HD?

Snow Leopard or Lion/Mountain Lion??

thanks for the help!

As it stands, there's not a whole lot you can do with it. Laptops are pretty difficult to upgrade, and macs are even worse. 3GB is the max RAM it takes without resorting to 3rd party workarounds, and even then you can only get 4GB in it. The best you could do is to throw in a fast SSD like a Crucial M4 or Samsung 830. As for the OS, you're best off asking the mac forum tbh.

Btw SATA is a type of interface, not a type of drive. You can have SATA SSDs (most of them are) and SATA mechanic drives.

deconduo wrote: »
    As it stands, there's not a whole lot you can do with it. Laptops are pretty difficult to upgrade, and macs are even worse. 3GB is the max RAM it takes without resorting to 3rd party workarounds, and even then you can only get 4GB in it. The best you could do is to throw in a fast SSD like a Crucial M4 or Samsung 830. As for the OS, you're best off asking the mac forum tbh.

Btw SATA is a type of interface, not a type of drive. You can have SATA SSDs (most of them are) and SATA mechanic drives.

Gotcha! sorry I'm not too up on my computer tech these days,I somehow managed to build myself a P.C about 15 years ago but I'd long given up that hobby!

I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel,it's just I have a machine that I love the build and feel of and I'd like to prolong it's life and get my moneys worth (over 2k new) from it

also forgot to mention that the fan has been kicking into higher revs lately (up to 6000rpm) for short bursts every now and then,any ideas why this would suddenly start to happen?
    do SSD's generally operate at lower temps?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Oh yeah, a lot of the macbooks from that era have way too much thermal paste on the CPU, causing overheating problems. If you want to have a go at reapplying it that would probably drop your temps down and help with the fan noise.

SSDs run a bit cooler than mechanical drives, but neither would be a major contributor to heat anyway.

deconduo wrote: »
    Oh yeah, a lot of the macbooks from that era have way too much thermal paste on the CPU, causing overheating problems. If you want to have a go at reapplying it that would probably drop your temps down and help with the fan noise.

SSDs run a bit cooler than mechanical drives, but neither would be a major contributor to heat anyway.

Excellent,cheers for that info!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Excellent,cheers for that info!

Most likely its dues a clean out of the headsinks and fans or all the crap that gets sucked into them

I've been reading about cleaning those,sounds like im long overdue doing that

what about this thermal paste lark?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I've been reading about cleaning those,sounds like im long overdue doing that

what about this thermal paste lark?

I've seen this myself. They put way too much thermal paste on to were it ends up looking like an oreo cookie. Just go on to YouTube for instructions on how to reapply it.

upgraded to 4gb ram,opened her up and hoovered up all the shíte inside
    deleted the windows partition,and did a wee clean up of the HD and she's running much better now,
    should be good for another few years yet!

feck it,just ordered snow leopard too,it's very annoying that you can't just d/l it! :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement