Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Mayer

Options
  • 31-05-2012 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭

Has anyone heard John Mayer's latest album, "Born and Raised"?

Its really good. OK yes, its middle of the road, American mainstream, but its actually a really nice little acoustic based album. All the guitar historonics he's known for are gone, in place are nice little songs and very warm production.

The sound is a lot like a Neil Young album, specifically "Harvest" - acoustic guitars, pedal steel, harmonica, slow mellow songs, and some nice singing. Its probably his best album, certainly on a par with "Continuum" but its very grown up and very adult, and his lyrics aren't as embarrassing as they could've been. In fact they're very honest and revealing.

He's more known as a "celeb" (he dated Jessica Simpson and Jennifer Aniston) but he's a great talent and is HUGE in the States - he just went to number 1 in the Billboard charts after this album sold over 200,000 copies in one week!

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

I am a massive John Mayer fan, I think his new album is great, don't think its been the best one but nice to see him with a new album again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Just saw that this album went into the UK charts at number 4! That's mighty impressive, considering his low profile in the UK. His last album went to something like number 35, and the previous 3 didn't even go top 40 (which is also interesting considering that 3 of his 5 albums have hit number 1 in the States).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

I'm well impressed how far up it got in the UK charts. I think John Mayer should be bigger than he is, it is brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

"He's the Sheryl Crow of our generation!"

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭UserName 217

I like john mayer as a guitarist but not enough to listen to his mainstream stuff.
    Love when he does stuff like this tho.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Has to be the best live version of this song..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I listened to most of Continuum the other week.

I really rate him as a songwriter and he's a very good guitarist too.

At least 7 top class songs on that album.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

As a guitarist, the guy can play and he has talent.

That said, he tends to be a mish-mash of Clapton, Vaughan and Hendrix. I hear nothing fresh or new.

Outside of that, I find him arrogant and immature for a man approaching his mid thirties. His interview in the Rolling Stone (I think it was Rolling Stone anyway) was a disgrace and he burnt a lot of bridges with his n*gger comments which were completely uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 beepop

I love this guy, Where the light is has to be the best album. Nice to see an album last year though too!

Advertisement