Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocking Eircom Speeds

Options
  • 31-05-2012 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Hi so I was just browsing another forum and came across a thread which people were posting their Speedtest scores, which I know is not 100% correct, but came across appalling results.

1980882761.png

Surely there must be something terribly wrong on my line to receive such low speeds? My mobile phone scores considerably higher with around 5mb DOWN and 2mb UP.

What could be the problem? I've found it's been like this for the past two weeks, with the modem infrequently disconnecting (although all the lights illustrate everything is fine).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

LukeS_ wrote: »
    Hi so I was just browsing another forum and came across a thread which people were posting their Speedtest scores, which I know is not 100% correct, but came across appalling results.

1980882761.png

Surely there must be something terribly wrong on my line to receive such low speeds? My mobile phone scores considerably higher with around 5mb DOWN and 2mb UP.

What could be the problem? I've found it's been like this for the past two weeks, with the modem infrequently disconnecting (although all the lights illustrate everything is fine).

How anyone can be shocked by eircom speeds is beyond me..youll call eircom, theyll 'test' the the line, say something about congestion etcetc advise you to buy their NGB which wont fix the problem, theyll send out an engineer, he'll say everything is now fixed, within a week you be suffering at the same speeds, youll call customer care asking what happened to non congested 8mb, theyll say anything over .1mbs is considered broadband, you complain, back and forth a while, you cancel the dd, switch to another provider, enjoy reasonable speeds while eircom double bills you for a while, before they finally are forgotten, apart from the occasional oh so chirpy young one at the door promising your own fibre cabinet outside the driveway....

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    How anyone can be shocked by eircom speeds is beyond me..youll call eircom, theyll 'test' the the line, say something about congestion etcetc advise you to buy their NGB which wont fix the problem, theyll send out an engineer, he'll say everything is now fixed, within a week you be suffering at the same speeds, youll call customer care asking what happened to non congested 8mb, theyll say anything over .1mbs is considered broadband, you complain, back and forth a while, you cancel the dd, switch to another provider, enjoy reasonable speeds while eircom double bills you for a while, before they finally are forgotten, apart from the occasional oh so chirpy young one at the door promising your own fibre cabinet outside the driveway....

Quite a humourous response, thanks for that chuckle! Yeah, I've been through the run around before, not very satisfying. Previously I was on UTV getting speeds of about 7/8mb which is fairly adequate. Just curious, what ISP would you recommend if these abysmal speeds persist? Don't mind paying a bit extra if I'll be getting good speeds.

I look forward to a response from an Eircom representative to see what they have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

UPC all the way for me, i get a 25mbs package here. Usually its between 15 and 20 down and 2.5 to 5 up. Couldnt tell you about their customer service because ive never needed them in 5 years usage. Only time i heard from the is when the were upgrading the speed for free!:D

Edit; just tested it now -4 tests to dublin, birmingham, roubaix and frankfurt. Dublin slowest at 17.3 frankfurt fastest at 20.1

• Registered Users Posts: 40 cc181187

Quite a humourous response, thanks for that chuckle! Yeah, I've been through the run around before, not very satisfying. Previously I was on UTV getting speeds of about 7/8mb which is fairly adequate. Just curious, what ISP would you recommend if these abysmal speeds persist? Don't mind paying a bit extra if I'll be getting good speeds.

I look forward to a response from an Eircom representative to see what they have to say.

Go for the satellite **** Niall quinns company is offering, good speeds but a rip, easy game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

cc181187 wrote: »
    Go for the satellite **** Niall quinns company is offering, good speeds but a rip, easy game

wish i seen this before i just signed up to eircom :(

• Advertisement

Just fiddling around on within the router settings and came across this. Why is it showing 2mb as the max speed?! Surely that's 6mb slower than the advertised lowest broadband package. I wouldn't expect the full 8mb, but at least half, or even a third of that would be sufficient. But to show that the max I can avail of is 2mb is just horrendous.

Have I been throttled perhaps?

migxuc.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

wish i seen this before i just signed up to eircom :(

No you don't. Satellite is a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

Just fiddling around on within the router settings and came across this. Why is it showing 2mb as the max speed?! Surely that's 6mb slower than the advertised lowest broadband package. I wouldn't expect the full 8mb, but at least half, or even a third of that would be sufficient. But to show that the max I can avail of is 2mb is just horrendous.

Have I been throttled perhaps?

migxuc.png

that does look a bit lower then you would expect, looking at the attenuation id guess the line could do about 4-5mb. your not being trottled but it looks like something is restricting the speed
    try disconnected everything from the phone line including the splitters and filters and only connect in the modem and see if the spped on the modem page increases

Baneblade wrote: »
    that does look a bit lower then you would expect, looking at the attenuation id guess the line could do about 4-5mb. your not being trottled but it looks like something is restricting the speed
    try disconnected everything from the phone line including the splitters and filters and only connect in the modem and see if the spped on the modem page increases

Does that include Sky boxes etc.?

Also you say something about the attenuation - does that mean that is the fastest speed I'll be able to get on any ISP? UPC in particular.

1982097451.png

Another shocking result, this doesn't look like it's improving at all. I'd rather be on dial-up at this stage!

• Advertisement

1982114273.png

Best result I've received today. Perhaps I'm stressing the line with all these tests or something?

it includes anything that has a physical connection into the phone line. so phones, skyboxs ect

upc dont use the phone network so the speeds that can provide are completely serpate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Perhaps I'm stressing the line with all these tests or something?

lol

if that was the case, I wouldn't be even managing that speed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I'm having serious troubles the last couple of days. I've had eircom for years and no problenms. I sync at 15Mbit but I'm only getting an unstable 1Mbit transfer rate on anything. I've done all the usual, resetting modem, connecting one device, etc etc. It's absolutely terrible. One thing that has changed is that a sales rep rang with an offer that was slightly cheaper for 6 months but the exact same service, just get locked into another 12 month contract. Wonder have I been moved onto some stupid throttled package.

Grrrrr.

1982542727.png

Disconnected all of the wires except the line going to the router and the results are significantly better. The thing is - I need the other cables in as they're for the phone and multiple Sky boxes (using these funky plug phoneline things). So is there any solution to keep the speed and keep the boxes/phone running?

The router is back to acceptable speeds too:
    mt5ge1.jpg

you should have a filter on everything you plug into the phone line
    you can try putting them back one at a time to see if one of them is causing the line to drop
    it could be as simple as something not being filtered or one of the filters not working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Does that include Sky boxes etc.?

Also you say something about the attenuation - does that mean that is the fastest speed I'll be able to get on any ISP? UPC in particular.

Yes LukeS, it is important that you temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. For example: Long private telephone cables or secondary phone sockets in your house /premises.

Remove the adsl splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket.

connect_splitter.jpg

Take a quick look at our Community forum to view our Broadband Setup and Checklist (below):

eircom Community Forum

If still having an issue with your broadband please contact :

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will help if you need to follow this up.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Not sure Eircom will be able to help with sorting it out for you, from my experience, they are good at copy and paste though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

iPhone. wrote: »
    Not sure Eircom will be able to help with sorting it out for you, difference between an Arse and an Elbow from my experience would test their collective ability and reliability, they are good at copy and paste though!

Well seeing as its syncing at a good speed when he sorted out his internal connections I don't see how you can blame eircom here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

gpf101 wrote: »
    Well seeing as its syncing at a good speed when he sorted out his internal connections I don't see how you can blame eircom here.

I wasn't blaming anyone, read my post again... but he sorted it out himself anyway without input from Eircom fair play to him

• Advertisement
Advertisement