Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 3 week 8 results

Options
  • 31-05-2012 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭

Raiders 63-14 Browns

Jesus christ I have never seen such a negative team. It was almost as bad as the real life Browns. Every single offensive play was either a 5 yard dump pass, an inside run or a throw out of bounds if no one was open within 5 seconds. Huge passing stats as usual, 7 sacks, 3 interceptions, and unfortunately Timmons is out for 3 weeks, but he'll be back for the next non-CPU game.

Seriously, EA needs to sort out the Browns. It's the one area I do not want to be true to life. It was just torture to play them. I even had a long stretch of 3 and outs because I was falling asleep.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Chargers beat the Steelers 35-7. Not much to talk about really, Blount and Hernandez had excellent games as usual.

I'm going away tomorrow until July 2nd so I'm going to leave the franchise later on. Thank god I have a late bye week, should minimize the damage :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Lukebray wrote: »
    Chargers beat the Steelers 35-7. Not much to talk about really, Blount and Hernandez had excellent games as usual.

I'm going away tomorrow until July 2nd so I'm going to leave the franchise later on. Thank god I have a late bye week, should minimize the damage :pac:

MJD should put some distance between himself and Blount thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

The wild west is beginning to look like the best division in the AFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

MJD should put some distance between himself and Blount thankfully!

Well I doubt there'll be many more 150+ yd games for Blount with the next few games being simmed. Well...that's my excuse anyway :pac:

Well, lots of CPU games help the AFC West this season but in saying that the only user game I've lost so far is against yourself matthew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

matthew8 wrote: »
    Raiders 63-14 Browns

going a bit overboard on the cpu? considering you havent rushed for a single play in the last 2 games.

• Advertisement

empacher wrote: »
    going a bit overboard on the cpu? considering you havent rushed for a single play in the last 2 games.

What's wrong with giving the CPU an ass-kicking? And rushing plays are far more injury prone I find, and I can't lose Bell. The CPU Browns are assholes anyway, it's their own fault they lost so badly.

Funnily enough this is only brought up when the Raiders do it. No one cares when the Jets and Packers do it. And they do it all the time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Lads, have tidied up the thread and deleted the non results posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

Lads, have tidied up the thread and deleted the non results posts.

Can this be done on the main forum? Maybe delete some of the dead threads or trade blocks?

For what? The newest threads are always on top of the main page

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

For what? The newest threads are always on top of the main page

Just general housekeeping really, I'm a bit of a neat freak, maybe a little OCD.:)

• Advertisement

etloveslsd wrote: »
    Just general housekeeping really, I'm a bit of a neat freak, maybe a little OCD.:)

Honestly i dont think there's a need, new stuff on the main page and at the top.. old stuff disappears off into obscurity..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Raoul

matthew8 wrote: »
    What's wrong with giving the CPU an ass-kicking? And rushing plays are far more injury prone I find, and I can't lose Bell. The CPU Browns are assholes anyway, it's their own fault they lost so badly.

Funnily enough this is only brought up when the Raiders do it. No one cares when the Jets and Packers do it. And they do it all the time.

Ha, everyone against the Raiders again? :pac:

There is no rules against running up scores against the CPU. So carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

Raoul wrote: »
    Ha, everyone against the Raiders again? :pac:

There is no rules against running up scores against the CPU. So carry on.

would you consider bringing one in for madden 13.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think if are giving out "awards" for stat based achievements like yards passing or best running back then it shouldn't be decided by whoever has the most CPU games.

Ideally we would have close to 32 players and there wouldn't be to many CPU games anyway.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I think if are giving out "awards" for stat based achievements like yards passing or best running back then it shouldn't be decided by whoever has the most CPU games.

Ideally we would have close to 32 players and there wouldn't be to many CPU games anyway.

It doesn't matter who gets the most stats, no one wants to give an award to the Raiders anyway.

I understand what you are saying adrian and i really do agree. But it will effect other stats too if you have to cull your attacking. 3rd down ratio, yards per runs ratio etc. plus one of the main reasons that we dont have a score cap against the cpu is that, quarters are 8min long, if you are up by a good lot straight away, it is going to be incredibly boring just to have to play and not score.

As you said ideally we would have 32 people and no cpu games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well I think it is completely unrealistic to have teams winning by 60 points and putting up huge numbers, but in the gereral context of the season it doesn't really matter unless it is a case of someone drops out because they are on holidays or whatever.

In that case I wouldn't like someone to run up the score but it's not really going to affect playoff chances or anything so I guess it doesn't matter either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I played in the Immature Gamers league for a while and they have a cap on scoring against the CPU. It was 21 or 24 points IIRC as the maximum winning margain. It was the most mind numbing and boring 45 minutes ever trying to keep within that score. A cap on CPU scoring in this league would be awful and I'd be willing to wager that people would leave the league because of it.

Of course it's unrealistic to have teams winning by 60 points, but I think it's really just a one off season due to lots of people being away for the summer. We usually have 24-26 teams when the league is at it's peak and there's very few CPU games for the vast majority anyway.

The IG frantasy fran has a lot of CPU teams and tbh i wont be rejoining it, have to run/pun rinse and repeat is a pain.

At least in the real fran pretty much all of your games will be human.
    If we put a cap on CPU games, I wouldnt play to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

I cant see me buying madden 13. I need to learn how to play this game first. lost to vikings. had chances but threw too many picks.

• Advertisement

Vikings are actually decent. I just about beat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

I always Find it hard to play the Vikings as well been lucky to beat them a few times and lost to them a few times as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭notyalc666

Falcons lose to the Panthers, just had a terrible game with two fumbles and like three interceptions, thankfully was only 21 - 14

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ibmax

Bucs have just returned to Tampa from a challenging game in Missouri against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Both Josh Freeman and Vince Young must have been thrilled when they woke up to find 19kmph winds greet them at Arrowhead.

The Chiefs won the toss and elected to receive. Following four 3 and outs to start the game, Young connected with Gonzalez (for the first of 20 times in the game) to wake the crowd from their slumber. However, the next pass wasn't as successful as it was thrown straight to DJ Williams for an int. The Bucs went 3 and out again and the Chiefs marched into the redzone where another errant Young pass was picked by Lofa Tatupu. The Bucs finally got their previously high powered offense going, marching into the Chiefs half before a pass to rookie 3rd string TE Worley was caught (6 drops last week!!!) and then fumbled in a tackle with Ed Reed. The Chiefs recovered and once again marched into Buc territory when Young's 3rd int of the day, this time to Tercel Aaron, ended the drive and the quarter.

The second quarter began with the Bucs deciding that the passing could wait until the sunny, calm Florida climes or the New Orleans and Atlanta domes of te NFC south and began to grind away through Demarco Murray. A 6 and a half minute drive was ended with Murray powering through the B gap for the first TD of the game. 7-0 Bucs. On 3rd and 19 a big pass to Gonzalez (who else!!!) saw the chiefs into buc territory. With 40 seconds left the Chiefs decided to go for it on 4th down on the Bucs 30yd line, knowing the Bucs would be receiving in the second half. The pass was batted down by Keith Rivers and the half ended 7-0.

The second half began with another long Bucs drive ending in a Freeman QB sneak for the TD. 14-0. The Chiefs responded and Young hit Gonzalez deep over the middle to leave the scores 14-7 as the half drew to a close. From the next play of scrimmage the chiefs ran an outside blitz and following some excellent blocking from both Brandon Albert and Chris Snee, Murray was sprung for a 70yard TD run making it 21-7 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

The 4th began, much as the previous 3 had gone with Young completing pass after pass to Gonzalez. A short drive saw Gonzalez get over he top of Suh (who drops Suh into coverage :eek: ) to score and make the game 21-14 with 5:30 on the clock. The Bucs managed to use only 3 minutes of the clock before the drive stalled at half way forcing them to punt. The chiefs got the ball back with 2:30 on the clock and 70 yards to tie the game. Young drove the team towards that goal before an ill advised pass into double coverage was picked by Tyrrell Johnson and returned for 6. The extra point made the score 28-14 with 2 mins to go. The Chiefs went into 4 down mode but the Bucs Dline stepped up and sacked Young 3 times forcing a long 4th down attempt which fell incomplete. The very next play saw Murray run through the A gap and scamper 30 yards to seal the game 35-14. There was still time for the Chiefs to give it one last go to breach the Bucs defense but with Gonzalez off the field and each receiver covered, Tamba Hali sacked Young once more with Suh recovering the Fumble and returning it 10 yards to end the game 42-14.

The game could have been completely different without the int's in the first quarter. The Chiefs could have conceivably been 21-0 up and given Freemans inability to throw in the wind that would have been game over! The final score completely flattered the Bucs who move to 6-1 and a commanding 3.5 game lead in the NFC South.

MOTM:

The entire Bucs Dline: Kerrigan, Suh, Ratliff and Hali - 10 sacks (9 in the last 3 mins), 1 forced fumbled, 1 TD and only 37 rushing yards allowed (28 of which were a Vince Young scamper in prevent defense)

Notable mentions
    - Tony Gonzalez (20rec, 382yrds, 2TDs)
    - Demarco Murray (22rus, 205yrds 3TDs)
    - The wind... what a douche!!!

Goat of the game:
    - Luis Vasquez, Center: never have i ever seen a DT run through a center with such ease on such a regular basis that you only have 2 passing options; checkdown pass or sack!!!

Thanks for the game Darbey. I'm glad i wont have to play you again unless we both make the Superbowl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Really enjoyable first non-CPU game in the league (apologies for not having my headset, we've just moved into the house and it's in a box somewhere.... where I don't know!).

Excellent summary of the game from ibmax, although I'd have used harsher words on Mr. Young and his O-Line! O-Line couldn't even block effectively enough to give Young a panic run lane to escape with!

Long drives ruined with interceptions in your oppenents half does not constitute a good gameplan!

Gonzalez was constantly getting open and the D-Line gave me a pounding which made dump offs (to Gonzalez) a necessity and interceptions an inevitability!

Very enjoyable game!

Nelbert wrote: »
    I'd have used harsher words on Mr. Young and his O-Line! O-Line couldn't even block effectively enough to give Young a panic run lane to escape with!

I thought your OLine was pretty solid tbh. It was only towards the end when you had an empty back field and the Gonzalez injury forced you to look deep that my guys had any joy.

Also, for Young to accumulate all those yards in those winds was some achievement. I had guys open on 3 or 4 occasions 15-20 yards downfield but the wind killed freeman's accuracy and balls kept falling incomplete!!!

Oh and Gonzalez had nearly 20YPC so it think you're doing yourself a disservice calling them dump offs or check downs.

Great game all the same! Even if there were a ton of turnovers and errors ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

ibmax wrote: »
    I thought your OLine was pretty solid tbh. It was only towards the end when you had an empty back field and the Gonzalez injury forced you to look deep that my guys had any joy.

Also, for Young to accumulate all those yards in those winds was some achievement. I had guys open on 3 or 4 occasions 15-20 yards downfield but the wind killed freeman's accuracy and balls kept falling incomplete!!!

Oh and Gonzalez had nearly 20YPC so it think you're doing yourself a disservice calling them dump offs or check downs.

Great game all the same! Even if there were a ton of turnovers and errors ;)
    Sacks reigned late but the pressure was constant from the start. Which rushed me and I picked the wrong passes!

Gonzalez is a beast! He had a similar game for me in the CPU game against the Broncos. If you under a bit of pressure in the pocket he's the guy! Doesn't have much speed in the open though!

Nelbert wrote: »
    Gonzalez is a beast! He had a similar game for me in the CPU game against the Broncos. If you under a bit of pressure in the pocket he's the guy! Doesn't have much speed in the open though!

agreed though he has more than enough speed to be a matchup nightmare for opposing LBs!!!

Its good to see another player in the AFC!!! There have been a lot of CPU games in that conference recently!!! The chargers and raiders have a bit of a head start on you in the west but I reckon theres enough games left for you to make things interesting for them!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

High quality game here, lots of top play and few mistakes
    Tight, nervous and exhausting, it's AFC North football!

Both teams start with the run game but neither offense can put together a drive

Ravens went play action and got punished, Jake Locker flattened and Sedrick Ellis collects for a TD
    BIG MAN WITH THE FOOTBALL!

Ravens drive up the field, Michael Bush effective in the run game and Demond Briscoe collected a 39yd PA pass for a TD

Quarter one 7-7

Ravens score a FG to take a narrow lead but it's shortlived

Cam Newton was very effective today and picked apart the Ravens blitz to send Danario Alexander down the field for 65 yd TD

Ravens missed a FG and Bengals failed to get a play off, would have been an easy three points but the clock ran out

Halftime 10-14 Bengals

Danario Alexander won game MVP and he scored again in the third quarter.
    Cam Newton floating a medium pass to the end zone with my DB ready to pick it off.
    6' 4" Alexander made the most of his height and hauled it in, very Plexico Burress-esque. However the Ravens DB realy should have done better!

Eddie Royal led the league last season with yards per reception, he's my long bomb threat.
    Ravens took advantage of a single safety and Royal beat the CB for a 80yd TD

Quarter 3 21-17 Bengals

A Bengals FG was the only score

This was very nervous.
    Bengals missed a chance to make it a two score game with a FG hit the upright

And Ravens were robbed when a fumble got overturned :mad:

Ravens made a good attempt to drive down the field with one minute to go, gained about 65 yds through the air but not enough and threw a pick at the end

Cam Newton 21-29 288yds 2TD 0INT
    Jack Locker 7-16 188yds 2TD 1INT

Michael Turner 12 att 44yd 0TD
    Jahvid Best 8att 56yd 0TD
    Michael Bush 15att 94yd 0TD

Game MVP: Danario Alexander 3receptions, 100 yds 2 TDs

Bengals are a frustrating team to play against. Don't mean that in a bad way, they just are :pac:
    Lots of short dinky passes, very little chance of blowing them up for sacks and tackles for loss.

Bengals have a commanding lead of the division, Ravens now have five losses and must go on a streak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Big game up in Cincinnati battling for AFC North supremacy. A win here for either team shifts the momentum in the division. Windy conditions as per normal around here.

Ravens take the kickoff, and after three runs decide to punt on 4th & inches. Good D then by Ravens to force a punt. They take the ball n their own redzone and on 2nd down, Locker is under heavy pressure... takes a sack... and the ball comes loose and Sedrick Ellis runs in the fumble recovery.
    7-0 CIN

Ravens get the ball back from the kickoff and mix it up well with Bush making easy yards until Locker fakes the handoff and finds Briscoe free for a 39yd passing TD.
    7-7

Bengals punt, Ravens score a FG.
    10-7 BAL
    Bengals get ball back, Newton senses blitz and finds Alexander on a quick slant, he runs free for a 65yd TD.
    14-10 CIN

Ravens miss a 45yd FG in the wind to the right, and hand the ball back as the Bengals drive up the field and get into the red zone. Some split-second clock management issues mean the clock runs out for half-time as Newton tries to spike the ball. Half-time.

Bengals get the kickoff, and drive up the field with short timing passes and one bomb to Gates down the middle. In the redzone, Newton throws a pass towards Alexander, immediately regrets it as the safety eyes it up but the 6'3" Alexander jumps up and makes the catch falling into the end zone.
    21-10 CIN

Ravens mark the kickoff, and lightning Eddie Royal takes the first pass and outsprints the Bengals defense for an 80yd TD.
    21-17

Bengals manage a FG after getting stopped in the red zone.
    24-17

Nervy exchanges towards the end as Michael Turner fumbles the ball on potential game-sealing drive... booth review... call is overturned!
    To no avail however, as Bengals stopped on third down and miss the winning FG, hitting the upright in the strong wind.
    Ravens drive to seal the game, Locker throwing deep to get a couple of first downs, but the game ends with a pick by Brandon Carr, then Newton kneels it out.

FINAL SCORE: CIN 24-17 BAL

Bengals now 6-2 atop the AFC North
    Ravens at 2-5 with an uphill battle ahead.

Good chatting to you Mike, best of luck with the season

Advertisement