Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSc Information Systems and Information Technology (DT249) Part Time

• 31-05-2012 9:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23

I am thinking of enrolling in the BSc Information Systems and Information Technology (DT249) course in DIT.

http://www.comp.dit.ie/dt249/

Can anyone give me an idea of what i would be getting myself in for, I am a little concerned about juggling full time work, commuting and studies, 4 years now looks is a long haul. I would like an opinion other that DIT's website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

I would like to share my opinion/story if i may - it may give you an insight, and help you decide what to do.

Basically, i have worked in the IT sector for the past year with a large multi-national company (Hewlett-Packard) - i do not have a degree (BSc) in Computing, but i hold many certs. and a FETAC in Computing.

When i started here last year, i had just finished up a second year in FETAC college (Full Time) and through work experience, i got offered a job with HP, naturally i took it and there right arm... in the intermitt i applied for DIT's DT211 (Computing) full time, and low and behold, a few months later, i got accepted.

At that stage, i was happily working away busy busy... so i deffered the college offer to this year.

at that stage, i was thinking that id probably not take it up at all... and eventually go back part time.. so looked into the same course you mentioned above.

After waying up all my options, and due to stuff changing in work, i have decided to quit work and go back to college this coming September.

a few points that helped my decided:

>> Full time is more enjoyable, you feel your learning at your own pace, V a rushed part-time course that you have to balance between work/personal life etc.

>> with full time you have more freedom, and more resources at your disposal

>> Grants

>> Social aspect to it aswell

Now, i don't know how young you are, but for me , i am still fairly young, and i want to go and enjoy college while i still can.

my advice would be: to go back full time (If you can, and can afford to do so) maybe you have family to support, so that is a completely different situation.

just my two cents. :D :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

As far as content - very good mix, programming, databases, mobile apps, security, project management, networking, distributed systems etc

if you have no interest in the topics above then forget about it

have worked too over the 4 years and it is a slog, practically a token gesture showing up in lectures after a days work

your weekends will be taken up with assignments and studying stuff from lectures

if you're a nerd like the rest of us and driven by the dollar then you'll do fine - a social life is overrated anyways, just think M3 and contracting for absurd rates to get you through the dark days

Advertisement