Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Olympic: Odd distance, same feulling as HIM?

• 28-05-2012 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭

A stupid question this close to an event.

But for the double, how much food gels etc should you be taking,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I am sure its different for everyone but for the Humbert I had one just before the swim start and then one every 20 minutes on the bike, then had one every 4 k on the run.

That was way up from the previous year and it seemed to work as I didn't blow up last year

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

BennyMul wrote: »

I would say don't go mad on them unless you've been taking them a lot in training. Last longish event I did I took a pack of gel blocks on the bike and three gels on the run, and still I was sick as a dog. Its a personal thing based on how well you tolerate them. If its hot I think hydration will be the bigger issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Thanks all,
    I usually only take water training for the bike and run never take gels in training. during the marathon I did take a gel ever hour along with water every 3 miles.

So i may aim for every 30min, and see how it goes on the day.
    what the worst that can happen ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

BennyMul wrote: »

If I was racing this distance in this heat, plenty of isotonic fluids in the time up to the event, gel 10 mins before the swim
    On the bike drinking more isotonic fluids for first 15mins, have a gel & some water. Nibble half a protein based energy bar every 20m and a second gel on the hour mark, repeat until you get to the run, drinking all the time.
    On the run, I would change to lighter isotonic gels such as High 5 or Kinetica to avoid cramping from sugar.

Body can only abosorb 60g of glucose per hour which is roughly two Powerbar gels. If you have a mix of sugars (fructose / sucrose) you can increase this to 90g per hour. Also protein does help in longer endurance races to help fight muscle fatigue.

If its not as hot as the past few days reduce the amount of fluids. That's 2c worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

If I was racing this distance in this heat, plenty of isotonic fluids in the time up to the event, gel 10 mins before the swim
    On the bike drinking more isotonic fluids for first 15mins, have a gel & some water. Nibble half a protein based energy bar every 20m and a second gel on the hour mark, repeat until you get to the run, drinking all the time.
    On the run, I would change to lighter isotonic gels such as High 5 or Kinetica to avoid cramping from sugar.

Body can only abosorb 60g of glucose per hour which is roughly two Powerbar gels. If you have a mix of sugars (fructose / sucrose) you can increase this to 90g per hour. Also protein does help in longer endurance races to help fight muscle fatigue.

If its not as hot as the past few days reduce the amount of fluids. That's 2c worth.

jesus i really need to give this stuff more time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

If it's High 5 gels you take on the run, what gels do you use on the bike & before the swim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice and simple then :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Yeap all sugars aren't the same, first thing you learn as a diabetic !

Apples etc have fructose its a natural form of sugar and doesn't play havoc with my blood sugar level. If you can mix the sugar types you should get better results in energy release.

A lot use flat coke as a source of fructose as its made corn syrup. I've seen guys have a bottle of flat coke on the bike as they body can take it when the glucose.

I hope this makes sense:)

Yeap all sugars aren't the same, first thing you learn as a diabetic !

Apples etc have fructose its a natural form of sugar and doesn't play havoc with my blood sugar level. If you can mix the sugar types you should get better results in energy release.

A lot use flat coke as a source of fructose as its made corn syrup. I've seen guys have a bottle of flat coke on the bike as they body can take it when the glucose.

I hope this makes sense:)

thanks,
    I should have asked this a few weeks ago.

An Olympic should be 2 to 3 hrs and the body stores enough for 2.5 hrs so not much is needed i believe for this level of race.

Proper eating leading up to the race and hydration during/before is much more important in my view.

• Advertisement

PWEI wrote: »
    If it's High 5 gels you take on the run, what gels do you use on the bike & before the swim?

Me, I use Powerbar or GU early on, I find them more concentrated and can absorb them easily when on the bike. On the run they are too thick and need water to wash through. I've stomach cramped a couple of times on the run, and I put it to the gel.

I'm suggesting the High 5 or Kinetica as not needing water thus being easier on the tummy and I doubt there will be isotonic drinks on the run (open to correction).
    Nice and simple then :rolleyes:

It is double olympic the question was asked about and in this heat the main thing is to stay hydrated, and easiest to take carbs in with the fluids at same time. He'll sweat loads and use carbs in the swim that need to be replenished on the bike early or his system wont take them in.
    An Olympic should be 2 to 3 hrs and the body stores enough for 2.5 hrs so not much is needed i believe for this level of race.

Depends on the intensity of the race too. Again hydration is key I think.
    Proper eating leading up to the race and hydration during/before is much more important in my view.

100% in agreement.

I don't think gels are the answer either with the long distance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do yee not suffer from taking a gel before the swim? The back of gels tends to recommend taking one 30 mins before starting a race, tried it once and suffered badly.

This being said, I don't know why I persevere with high 5 gels when there are so many to choose from. Always have probs with gels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I take the High 5 gels & never had any problems with them.
    I'm having more difficultly in finding a suitable energy bar to take during races. Have any of ye tried one of the following;

http://www.triradar.com/2012/03/15/energy-bars-review/

I find the Powerbar energize good and recently started using the High 5 4:1 protein bar on long spins (3+ hours) with no gels just Zero electrolyte drink in one bottle and a second bottle of carb drink which I can refill if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I find the Powerbar energize good and recently started using the High 5 4:1 protein bar on long spins (3+ hours) with no gels just Zero electrolyte drink in one bottle and a second bottle of carb drink which I can refill if needed.

AFAIK the 4:1 is supposed to be a waste of time. A lot of studies have shown that protein gives no benefit during endurance events. All you need are the carbs. Asker Jeukendrup and others have done a lot of studies on this. Here's one.

pgibbo wrote: »
    AFAIK the 4:1 is supposed to be a waste of time. A lot of studies have shown that protein gives no benefit during endurance events. All you need are the carbs. Asker Jeukendrup and others have done a lot of studies on this. Here's one.

+1 I read a fair bit about this before the IM last year. Your body is going to waste some of the feul just to help break the proteins down. Feic that, carb all the way for me.

In terms of fuel for the race it may be useful to start by determining approx how many Kcals you will need. Assume you burn circa 600 an hour for 5 hours and have a gycogen store of 2000Kcals minimum to begin with (300g carb breakie and 500ml water to top up), you are looking at approx 1000Kcals (just using round numbers to illustrate). So thats 9 powerbar gels or 2 bars and 5 gels etc...

Rule of thumb is wash everything down with water and drip feed the feul. If your body can absorb 300 Kcals an hour then thats the equivalent of a gel every 20 mins, but not for teh entire race, obviously.

pgibbo wrote: »

Depends on what you are doing. From that study (my highlighting):

So, a strict interpretation of the research to date would be that if the goal is to ride a bike as long as possible at a fixed intensity, then ingesting protein along with carbohydrate during exercise is advisable. On the other hand, if going faster is the goal then there is no evidence that adding protein to carbohydrate is worthwhile.

Sorry that this is dragging the topic away from the thread. Maybe split into a new discussion?

Yes could a mod split this thread into the nutrition and what it started out as. I want to throw up the qualifiers for the comp but will wait until its split:)

Mod: Done you can find the original thread here

Doesn't look like the heat or dehydration will be too much of a factor on Saturday.

Doesn't look like the heat or dehydration will be too much of a factor on Saturday.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Provided the isotonic fluids are sugar free I would agree. Otherwise no.
    Something like nuun.

So a gel, 1.5 energy bars and energy drink on the bike every hour? I couldn't stomach that many bars. Too much solids, too much staying in your tummy.

How does sugar cause cramping?? First I have ever heard of this?
    Body can only abosorb 60g of glucose per hour which is roughly two Powerbar gels. If you have a mix of sugars (fructose / sucrose) you can increase this to 90g per hour.
    Powerbar gels are fructose/glucose mixes in 2:1 so they are the 90g ones. High5 gels are the ones that are not a mix. GU too I believe. Torq and Powerbar are the mix ones.
    Also protein does help in longer endurance races to help fight muscle fatigue.

Never proven.

Its going to piss. Bring winter gear!!!

On the contrary I'd imagine it will be very warm and muggy, dense humidity so you could still sweat buckets. Err on the side of sunny day hydration IMO. Plus according to ME the first half of Saturday will by mainly dry. Oh how I'd love sunshine on the bike and then clouds and drizzle to roll in for the run :)

Realistically I may just bring a jacket

Swishing a concentrated carb drink around your mouth and spitting it out releases a surge of energy. Not everything is simple calories in calories out :) Sometimes to get more out of your body the brain has to be reassured, or fooled, that there are enough calories to keep it and the heart going (Central governor theory)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Need to double check the numbers later but for me something like this,

1x500ml water mixed with Nuun - prior to race start
    2x750ml of high 5 2in1 - 540kcals - both on bike
    7x powerbar gels - 770kcals - 1 prior to swim, 3 bike and 3 run
    1x nutrigrain bars - 120kcals - on bike

That is 1430kcals over 5hrs and 286kcals p/hour.

If you have not tried and tested nutrition/hydration in training its a bit late now worrying about it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3955179;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Interesting thread on Slowtwitch for Jordan Rapps IMTX nutrition execution. Plenty of salt sticks:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭Bambaata

tunney wrote: »
    Swishing a concentrated carb drink around your mouth and spitting it out releases a surge of energy. Not everything is simple calories in calories out :) Sometimes to get more out of your body the brain has to be reassured, or fooled, that there are enough calories to keep it and the heart going (Central governor theory)
    I might try this again in the Sprint. But i might also carry a very small amount of water in case my mouth needs the rinse out towards the end!

Here's the piece on it - http://blog.trainingpeaks.com/posts/2011/4/26/carbohydrate-drinks-should-you-swallow.html

Its pretty interesting.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3955179;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Interesting thread on Slowtwitch for Jordan Rapps IMTX nutrition execution. Plenty of salt sticks:eek:

If you are planning on using the in Roth trial them. They shred the stomachs for some people.

(i have some)
    Bambaata wrote: »
    I might try this again in the Sprint. But i might also carry a very small amount of water in case my mouth needs the rinse out towards the end!

Here's the piece on it - http://blog.trainingpeaks.com/posts/2011/4/26/carbohydrate-drinks-should-you-swallow.html

Its pretty interesting.

Needs to be more concentrated than normal.

Also doesn't work for women. Seemingly swallowing is required there.

Thanks for all the info,

so my plan for Saturday, please correct me if im wrong

1 bottle 500ml of high 5 zero tablets drank an hour before the race.
    1 Gel (powerbar) consumed with water 30min before the swim start.

On the bike, I will have two bottles with High 5 zero tablets, 1 table in one, 2 in the other, consuming the weaker one first,
    a Powerbar gel every 30min or so.
    I will bring something solid to eat, as not sure what effect all the gels will have.
    and consume if needed.

For the run, I will have high 5 gels as there are not as concentrated aiming for 1 every 5 k
    Was considering carrying a small bottle of flat coke so a bit of buzz later in the run if needed. ot the good old fashioned "bonk" bottle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Needs to be more concentrated than normal.

Also doesn't work for women. Seemingly swallowing is required there.

Behave

• Advertisement

How does sugar cause cramping??

Its the stomach cramping, I should have clarified that rather than leading to confusion with muscle cramping. Generally undigested, slush jiggling around in the stomach leading to stomach cramping & voiding.

Advertisement