Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Olympic: Odd distance, same feulling as HIM?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Its the stomach cramping, I should have clarified that rather than leading to confusion with muscle cramping. Generally undigested, slush jiggling around in the stomach leading to stomach cramping & voiding.

I'd have argued that the issue was consuming more gels that you can absorb.

the 60g and 90g guidelines are just that - guidelines. Some are less, some are more. Most overeat anyways and have way too much.

I think you are adding 2 + 2 and getting 5 here TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

BennyMul wrote: »
    Thanks all,
    I usually only take water training for the bike and run never take gels in training. during the marathon I did take a gel ever hour along with water every 3 miles.

So i may aim for every 30min, and see how it goes on the day.
    what the worst that can happen ;)

that sounds like a good plan to me. follow your marathon strategy as you know that will work rather than going for the unknown.

you sound like you have a slow metabolism the way you describe your marathon nutrition strategy. and not everybody needs a gel every 20min ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Guys Ref: having 2*750ml bottles of carb drink on the bike - are you going to wash powerbar gels down with this?! PB gels are fairly sticky and need a good swig of water IMO. With a combo of PB gels and 1.5 litres of carby drink on the bike you will be gasping fo water by the run... particularly if the sun comes out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    I'd have argued that the issue was consuming more gels that you can absorb.

the 60g and 90g guidelines are just that - guidelines. Some are less, some are more. Most overeat anyways and have way too much.

I think you are adding 2 + 2 and getting 5 here TBH.

The general gist of my original post was what I would do and I was offering my opinion as a guide to the OP on fueling this kind of distance in the conditions applicable at the time of answering.

I switch to lighter more water based gels on the run to avoid any 'heaviness' in the stomach and with the water base it tends to help get the gel through to the intestine for absorption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Guys Ref: having 2*750ml bottles of carb drink on the bike - are you going to wash powerbar gels down with this?! PB gels are fairly sticky and need a good swig of water IMO. With a combo of PB gels and 1.5 litres of carby drink on the bike you will be gasping fo water by the run... particularly if the sun comes out

I have read about the problems with using a carb drink in conjunction with gels, and they do not mix well,
    That why I was looking at a weak carb drink for one bottle and normal for the second, I may revise this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

I'll probably be slated for saying this but I train without gels and take on very little fuel on long cycles and runs. I go for more solid foods on the bike so might eat two cereal bars on a 4 hour cycle (but I'd also drink 1.5 litres of fluids). I don't take anything on a run shorter than 28km (not even water...unless it's mad hot).

I've been doing this for years but the most recent example is Tri An Mhi's Half Ironman distance CXIII just a few weeks back.

On the bike I had 750ml iso drink and 1 fig roll bar on the first lap (47km) then 750ml water and 1 oats and honey granola bar on the second lap (47km).

On the run (21km) I had half of a 250ml bottle of water with 1 gel around the 11km mark.

I finished strong with a 1.26 half marathon and didn't hit any wall or bonk or do any of that weird crap.

I ran the Dublin marathon last year in 2.52 taking on just 2 gels and drinking both sports drink and water whenever it was available.

When I did an ironman a couple of years ago I think I had 6 bars of various description while on the bike and 2 gels on the run. No idea what I drank but it was a lot.

The solid food is probably harder to digest than the gels but I've never had stomach cramps (I hope I haven't just jinxed Saturday's race!). Maybe I'd go faster if I took on more gels....but then again maybe I'd get sick all over the place if I took on more gels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I think you've hit the nail on the head Clum - people need to find out what works for them. We're all very different and as mentioned earlier, it's guidelines that are generally communicated.

Yep what I've learned over the years is that I don't need half the fridge in my pockets going out fo r a3hour training ride or 2 hour run. I don't fuel either except for water.

On the day for a 5 hour race I'll trust that my glycogen store + a good top up breakfast wil cover most of the race. I'd imagine I'll need 600-800Kcals tops to see me home and the idea will be to getthese on board early.

Sip a bottle of Lucozade sport an hour before the race
    1 PB gel before the swim washed down with a gulp of water.
    4-5 PB gels diluted in a bottle of water that I'll take on the bike more than half of it in the first hour.
    Sipping water from anothre bottle all the time.
    1 PB gel about 40 minutes into the run with plenty of water.

Thats it approx 750Kcals

1x500ml water mixed with Nuun - prior to race start
    2x750ml of high 5 2in1 - 540kcals - both on bike
    7x powerbar gels - 770kcals - 1 prior to swim, 3 bike and 3 run
    1x nutrigrain bars - 120kcals - on bike

That is 1430kcals over 5hrs and 286kcals p/hour.

Overkill IMO :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Maybe its just me but i find i don't need to chase the PB gels with anything. yes they are a bit more gluppy than others but i find them ok to take without water.
    Sip a bottle of Lucozade sport an hour before the race
    1 PB gel before the swim washed down with a gulp of water.
    4-5 PB gels diluted in a bottle of water that I'll take on the bike more than half of it in the first hour.
    Sipping water from anothre bottle all the time.
    1 PB gel about 40 minutes into the run with plenty of water.

Thats it approx 750Kcals
    Not a fan of the bolded bit, how do you know how much you are taking in when diluted. You might get nothing for the first hour or vice versa, dilution roulette it should be called:)
    Overkill IMO :cool:
    Not that much overkill i don't think. Nutrigrain bar to keep the hunger demons at bay and when you think of it over a third of my kcal intake is fluids. We shall see how we go.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I'm trying new nutrition on Saturday. Give me a wide berth just in case it doesnt work out. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
    Followed the strategy pretty well,
    1 gel 30min before the start with water, and a PB gel ever 30min or so on the bike washed down with a very weak high 5 drink, a second bottle with more concentrated mix.

I did have sever cramps on the run from the start, not sure if its related to the above, lack of solid food or just plain bad stomach muscles.

Did manage to get a high 5 gel down during the run.

I will need to start practicing this in training to get it correct, a bad plan to leave it to race day.

Advertisement