Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PPE - where to buy?

• 31-05-2012 9:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭

I've gone through the FAQ and not found anything other than pointers to Cotters and Bikeworld in a post last edited in 8 years ago. So just in case there are other retailers worth looking at could people please let me know what shops (name+location if they're not on the web) they would recommend in Dublin for me to check out for buying PPE (helmet, jacket, gloves, etc....)?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Cotters are even better now then they used to be - took on some staff, and they have time for you now :P

I beleve Bikeworld still do dainesse stuff (v nice, pricey)

Megabikes is worth a look in

And have bought stuff over the web from motorcycleshop.ie (lee motorcycles, cork)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I bought a helmet from http://www.louis.de/_10a312b2f7dcbfde115a7d7f38baf8e883/index.php?lang=en recently. Im expecting delivery today/tomorrow. There are some bargins to be had on their last chance offers. I will prob go to cotters for my jacket, pants & gloves though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

there are plenty of online places fc-moto.de louis.de, but you can't beat going and trying on stuff in a good shop like cotters/bikeworld but they can be a bit pricey but sometimes its worth it as if you have a problem you an just bring the stuff back the next day whereas if you have a problem with an online store it can a bit longer to sort out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The thing with buying online or even from the North is that you aren't paying 23% VAT on the helmet.
    Thats the real pisser, if helmets were 0% vat rated like other PPE then bricks and mortar shops here could be competitive but no we pay 23% to the govt for the privilege...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

If you're buying a load of stuff it's worth heading up to Hein Gerick in Newry.
    Just over an hour from Dublin http://goo.gl/maps/J2kF
    Their own brand stuff is really good quality. For a helmet, my advice is to try one on, get the size and buy online.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Aldi and Lidl sell some good gear,like waterproof protective leggings,jackets and gloves.They also sell bike boots and tank bags too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

paddy147 wrote: »
    Aldi and Lidl sell some good gear,like waterproof protective leggings,jackets and gloves.They also sell bike boots and tank bags too.

They only get them in once a year though don't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

chrismon wrote: »

Nah, it's two or three times a year, if not more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

chrismon wrote: »

Ive seen bike gear in twice allready this year.

Some of the Lidl and Aldi shops are still selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Goin to take a visit there today so, could save a few quid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I bought a helmet from http://www.louis.de/_10a312b2f7dcbfde115a7d7f38baf8e883/index.php?lang=en recently. Im expecting delivery today/tomorrow. There are some bargins to be had on their last chance offers. I will prob go to cotters for my jacket, pants & gloves though.

have bought a good bit from them - great service and really quick delivery. They also have great sales!

I really like Halvarssons stuff and I think Megabikes on Wexford street are the biggest bricks-and-mortar supplier. I have the odyssey jacket and matching pants. For the lid I got a Shoei XR-1100 from Crossan up in Newry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

baz8080 wrote: »
    I really like Halvarssons stuff and I think Megabikes on Wexford street are the biggest bricks-and-mortar supplier. I have the odyssey jacket and matching pants. For the lid I got a Shoei XR-1100 from Crossan up in Newry.

Little off topic but I got one of them lids too. Do you ever get insects in through the front mouth vent and flying around the inside then? I seem to get a few of them. One little prick bit me between the eyes, left me with a lump there for a few hours!

Keith186 wrote: »
    Little off topic but I got one of them lids too. Do you ever get insects in through the front mouth vent and flying around the inside then? I seem to get a few of them. One little prick bit me between the eyes, left me with a lump there for a few hours!

Yep, they're also good at flying in the top vents and straight into my mouth too! When it happens I crack open the visor and do a quick look left and right to get rid of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

+1 for hein Gericke. Try their eBay shop too. Plenty of seconds for bargain prices with little or no flaws but check what the flaw is before bidding.
    I bought a jacket from motoin.de too. Saved €150 from UK prices.

Advertisement