Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice please.

Options
  • 31-05-2012 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Hey. I'm in 3rd year science studying physics. I failed 4 exams (which includes 2 resits from last semester). My gpa now stand at 2.33. I need a gpa of 2.48 at least to get into 4th year.

So what are my opinions now? Will I be allowed to repeat exams I failed to bring my gpa up to above 2.48? Will have have to take a whole year to repeat them and be allowed into 4th year in 2013/14 if I pass them?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Yes, having been in that exact position 3 years ago. If getting those fails up to passes will get you to a 2.48, you can repeat them. You can also do some of the fourth year material alongisde it, but there's a risk there that you're liable to pay for it (or something like that - I didn't take that option). I imagine you could also do semester 2 stuff after the repeats, but I figured that would be unwise (a lot of stuff seemed to feed from 1 semester to the other) and so didn't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Any repeat subjects have a GPA capped at 2.0, so they wont bring the GPA up much. If they're not core modules, I'd suggest dropping them (especially since you've failed them twice) and take a different module, where the GPA wont be capped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Any repeat subjects have a GPA capped at 2.0, so they wont bring the GPA up much. If they're not core modules, I'd suggest dropping them (especially since you've failed them twice) and take a different module, where the GPA wont be capped.

F's have a GPA of 1 and E's 1.6, so if the OP repeats and passes, the failed subjects will go from 1/1.6 -> 2, raising the GPA by a min of .4 per failed subject. If that's 4 modules that have their GPA raised, you would imagine that would be enough for a .15 average gain.

[Jackass] wrote: »

These are core subjects I've failed, unfortunately. But if I pass them I'll get a 2.88 gpa which will get me into 4th year. Each of the failed will go from a 1.0 (or 1.6 for an E I got) to a 2.0 which really improves my chances. The reason I created ths thread was to find out about the bureaucracy of the whole thing and to find out about the expenses I'll have to pay etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Well the fees involved would be 4 repeats and a of the the fees for the extra semester to do them in, so I would imagine that it would be:

4 * repeat fee + 1/2 (reg fee + student levy)

I'm in my phone so won't link it but if you go to the UCD fees page you can get the numbers.

In terms of bureaucracy, if you know what you're doing I've found it quite straightforward for these kind if things. The student advisors and the programmes office are the help as well if you need them.

So let's say that I took next semester to do the 4 repeats, pass them and qualify for 4th year, will I have to pay full fees in 4th year on top of the reg. fee and student levy? As far as I know, the state only pays for 3/4 years of your degree. Am I right?

Raphael, could you give me a little bit more insight into the fees situation you went through.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

What I did was took a year, paid reg fee and cost of 2 repeats that I needed, sat 2 resits in semester 1, then qualified for fourth year. The next year I paid reg fee again and did 4th year.

Advertisement