Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macs

Options
  • 31-05-2012 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I'm curious.

Back in the day Macs where a discrete platform based on Motorola silicon. These days they just seem to be PCs with a different operating system. Why are people paying 3x the price for hardware just because it has a Mac badge on it. Is it just because Apple make bit proprietary or can you not buy the OS separately? Could you not just build a PC and install the Mac OS on it?

I'm not disputing the e-peen factor of Macs or the fact the OS might be the second coming of Christ just the cost. (Only having used it for 15 minutes I can't really comment - people always insist it never crashes so I take them at their word.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Ah found a Hackingtosh thread - I'm now enlightened :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I've wanted to dual boot MacOS for a while now just to annoy some friends, but my hardware is too advanced to handle it :o

it doesn't play nice with most of my stuff, but doesn't play at all with a 6990 :(

Advertisement