Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd year stage GPA of 3.07

Options
  • 31-05-2012 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I'm a third year arts student and just got this utterly depressing result. Has anyone else been in this boat before? Naturally I'm going to try my best to get it pushed up, but I've got a question or two:

If I want re-checks do I specify before or after the final results are released? Has anyone else been in a similar situation and successfully had their GPA bumped up? And I heard something about an interview for people who are borderline 2.1/1.1. Will I qualify for this?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

If that's for Stage 3 though surely it's not your overall degree grade, that would be taken from a combination of Stage 2 and 3 would it not? Or has Arts changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

ShytePryde wrote: »
    I'm a third year arts student and just got this utterly depressing result. Has anyone else been in this boat before? Naturally I'm going to try my best to get it pushed up, but I've got a question or two:

If I want re-checks do I specify before or after the final results are released? Has anyone else been in a similar situation and successfully had their GPA bumped up? And I heard something about an interview for people who are borderline 2.1/1.1. Will I qualify for this?

Cheers.

You'll need to wait for the final results in June are released before you can appeal. They'd be v harsh if they didn't push you up - iirc 2:1 standard is 3.08-3.67 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ShytePryde

LUPE wrote: »
    If that's for Stage 3 though surely it's not your overall degree grade, that would be taken from a combination of Stage 2 and 3 would it not? Or has Arts changed?

Stage 2 is second and third year.

You'll need to wait for the final results in June are released before you can appeal. They'd be v harsh if they didn't push you up - iirc 2:1 standard is 3.08-3.67 or so

Yup, 2.1 is 3.08, stings pretty hard. I guess I'll just have to wait out the 3 weeks.

Can you appeal an assignment?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

If I were you I wouldn't wait for appeals. They're really complicated and they don't entertain people appealing just to get grades pushed up. You have to go through the script with whoever marked it and then write a letter pointing out all of the places where they marked you incorrectly with academic evidence to back you up. Plus it can take months for results to be issued.

Instead, try talk to the lecturers or module co-ordinators. Tell them you were really upset with the grade/thought you would do better etc etc. Aim to go to one that knows you/knows you're a good student etc. As a last resort, go to the School itself, sometimes they can be nice and push a grade up for certain people who are usually hard workers.

And yes, assignments can be appealed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Appeal everything, and I'd say call in to all of the lecturers, explain the situation (make sure to do it in person) and ask them if they can review your papers to see if there are marks anywhere that can boost you up one grade point.

3.07, you've got to be sh*tting me. I think they'll definitely push you up to a 2:1

I don't know if this still applies, but wayyyyyy back when, my sister was just under a 2:1 and they called her for an interview or something and quizzed her and she was bumped up to a 2:1. Don't know if that exists any more though.

• Advertisement

How frank can I be about this with my lecturers? Is it really okay to just say "I'm just off a 2.1 and desperately need the extra marks"? Isn't there a chance of that backfiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

If I want re-checks do I specify before or after the final results are released?

Q1. CAN I APPEAL MY PROVISIONAL GRADE?
    A1. No. You can only appeal once your grades are final. No exceptions. Once provisional results have issued and you want to check if the result is correct, please contact your School.

Q3. HOW DO I APPEAL AN ASSESSMENT?
    A3. To appeal an assessment, follow the procedures set out on http://www.ucd.ie/appeals. You must have valid grounds to appeal an assessment. Incomplete or invalid appeals will be returned. Please refer to the following webpage http://www.ucd.ie/appeals/exam_appeal.htm for further information. You have 30 days from the date your results are published in order to appeal a result and there is a 75 Euro fee per module. Please note that the Assessment Appeals Office cannot accept cash so please make your cheques/ postal orders payable to UCD Assessment Appeals Office.

http://www.ucd.ie/appeals/faq.htm
    Has anyone else been in a similar situation and successfully had their GPA bumped up?

I know of a few people who were border line 2.1/1 and went to their lecturers first before the appeals process, told them the situation, and ultimately got 1sts. I also know of some who it didn't work out for though!
    And I heard something about an interview for people who are borderline 2.1/1.1. Will I qualify for this?

There are vivas in medicine still afaik, and maybe vet med, but its not common place for undergraduate courses to have them. I'm pretty sure Arts doesn't do vivas.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Bougeoir

I'm also in the same boat. I got 3.05 so as you can imagine, I'm pretty peeved. I didn't do as well in three of the modules as I thought I would have. However, I fileld out an extenuating circumstances form before the results came out as I had an ongoing complaint all semester and had to get tested and everything. However, I've contacted those three tutors regarding the grade. You should do the same.

I just calculated my GPA there and I only need four more grade points to get a 2,1! If you're that close to margin, fight for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

WeeBushy wrote: »
    You have 30 days from the date your results are published in order to appeal a result and there is a 75 Euro fee per module.

Wow.. I appealed 2 years ago at 60 euro a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dublineese

I'm in a similar boat, my stage 2 provisional GPA was 3.6. As we all know 3.68 would give me a first, can anyone offer me advice here? What should I do? I know I'm trying to bump a grade but I'm so close!!

• Advertisement

Dublineese wrote: »
    I'm in a similar boat, my stage 2 provisional GPA was 3.6. As we all know 3.68 would give me a first, can anyone offer me advice here? What should I do? I know I'm trying to bump a grade but I'm so close!!

The advice in all the posts above will be the same for you!

Ok thanks, just wondering, how honest would you be when speaking to a lecturer? As in will I just speak about how unhappy I was with my grade or should I mention my predicament regarding the 2.1/1.1?

I don't mean this in a narky way at all, but there are a few posts above already advising on that:
    kkumk wrote: »
    try talk to the lecturers or module co-ordinators. Tell them you were really upset with the grade/thought you would do better etc etc. Aim to go to one that knows you/knows you're a good student etc. As a last resort, go to the School itself, sometimes they can be nice and push a grade up for certain people who are usually hard workers.
    [Jackass] wrote: »
    Appeal everything, and I'd say call in to all of the lecturers, explain the situation (make sure to do it in person) and ask them if they can review your papers to see if there are marks anywhere that can boost you up one grade point.
    WeeBushy wrote: »
    I know of a few people who were border line 2.1/1 and went to their lecturers first before the appeals process, told them the situation, and ultimately got 1sts. I also know of some who it didn't work out for though!

I would be up front and honest about it, if they recognise that you are someone who genuinely tried then they are more likely to listen to you. They're hardly going to mark you down by mentioning it, so it can't do much harm imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

TBH a 3.6 is really far away from a 1st. Like you would need to be moved up about 10 grades altogether. So maybe each subject could be bumped up by two but realistically that's just not going to happen, its unlikely that every grade you got will be that off the mark that it deserves to be moved up not just by one gradepoint, but by two.

I got a 3.65 last year and thought I was so close but really it would have meant that I'd have to get 6 or 7 grades moved up. Hard luck though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

kkumk wrote: »
    TBH a 3.6 is really far away from a 1st. Like you would need to be moved up about 10 grades altogether. So maybe each subject could be bumped up by two but realistically that's just not going to happen, its unlikely that every grade you got will be that off the mark that it deserves to be moved up not just by one gradepoint, but by two.

I got a 3.65 last year and thought I was so close but really it would have meant that I'd have to get 6 or 7 grades moved up. Hard luck though :(

Yeh I'm on 3.65 and probably will not be able to move up so I think 3.6 is a bit far off to get a first at this stage. Not that you shouldnt try of course.

Thanks for all your advice I appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

Bear in mind that mathematically a 2.1 is a GPA of 3.7. The 3.68 is a concession to people who are near the line, what is being proposed here is a people getting a concession to get to the concession.

I calculated my actual GPA and it's 3.07583333333333 etc

If they don't bump that up they're some serious sadists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I calculated my actual GPA and it's 3.07583333333333 etc

If they don't bump that up they're some serious sadists.

Thats bull****. That actually does average to 3.08!

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Thats bull****. That actually does average to 3.08!

Well if you were to round it up then yes, but 3.0758 is below 3.08. Fight tooth and nail to get it bumped up, I certainly would, but at the end of the day the GPA is below 3.08 so as close as it is, its not 3.08. If it were me I'd be kicking myself but if UCD didn't move me up I couldn't have any complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

You are not as close as you think to a First. I got 3.6 in one of my degree subjects (not this year!) and when I looked at the figures I realised that I would have had to go up a grade in three of my six modules to get over the line. Going up in one of them would bring me only to a 3.63, two of them rising would bring me to a 3.67, but it would require the grade for a third module to increase to get over 3.68 (it would be 3.7 in fact).

I was happy enough with the grade to be honest (it was exactly what I expected) as it was comfortably good enough to get me into a Master's etc., but in any event I would not have dreamt of appealing it as when I looked at it, although it was a good grade, I realised I wasn't really all that close to a First - at least not close enough to warrant a nudge over the line anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Koph89

Hi all,

I wanted some advice help if possible. I'm beginning my final semester of third year and my GPA is 3.5 currently. Is it possible for me to get a first if I do really well in my last 6 modules?

Any input would be very much appreciated,

Many thanks,

Sophie

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omicron

Koph89 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I wanted some advice help if possible. I'm beginning my final semester of third year and my GPA is 3.5 currently. Is it possible for me to get a first if I do really well in my last 6 modules?

Any input would be very much appreciated,

Many thanks,

Sophie

If the last semester is worth 25% of your degree then no, as you would need a 4.22. If it is worth any more than 25% then yes, a first is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Koph89

Thanks Omicron! Appreciate that! Yeah my final year is worth 50%, so last semester is worth 25%. Thanks for getting back to me.

Advertisement