Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things they should have cured by now

• 31-05-2012 10:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Most people would lump for the common cold or flu but as they are always mutating I can cut the scientists some slack on this.
    With the success rate of cancer treatments constantly on the increase & the possibility of non-invasive smart medicines the future is looking bright there too.

The one area where I feel progress has been slow is spinal injuries & paralysis.
    In an era where we can transplant faces & limbs you'd think we'd be closer to a cure.
    Stem cell research was also meant to provide great opportunities to regrow spinal chord tissue but you hear nothing about it anymore.
    Maybe there's not enough profit in it for the medical companies.

What aliments do you feel we should have cured by now ?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

hayfever, everyone around me is red-eyed & sneezing at the moment, very distracting. It's only pollen, not some bacteria that is forever evolving & mutating.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Political incompetence.

In relation to injury things, have you seen that they have created robotic limbs that can be controlled by a persons thoughts? That's awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

2 reasons.

1 - unrealistic expectations of Joe Bloggs.

People's imaginations are expanding quicker than science. People see star trek and say why can't we do that? Surely modern science/medicine can fix this.

2. - Ethics

Progress would be a lot quicker if there were not such stringent ethical demands. Stem cell research and spinal cord regeneration would be progressing quicker if scientists could experiment on human tissues (embryos, fetuses, children, adults).

It's currently quite difficult to do spinal cord research on rats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Stem cell research was also meant to provide great opportunities to regrow spinal chord tissue but you hear nothing about it anymore.

It's tied up with red tape and legislation. Alot of people like the Catholic Church are against stem cell research, having been compared to the likes of abortion and other daft notions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hangovers....you know...the important things. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Most people would lump for the common cold or flu but as they are always mutating I can cut the scientists some slack on this.
    With the success rate of cancer treatments constantly on the increase & the possibility of non-invasive smart medicines the future is looking bright there too.

The one area where I feel progress has been slow is spinal injuries & paralysis.
    In an era where we can transplant faces & limbs you'd think we'd be closer to a cure.
    Maybe there's not enough profit in it for the medical companies.

What aliments do you feel we should have cured by now ?.

Theres no money in cures, only money in deterrents.

Would you rather make a pill that costs 500 euro but cures someone of that ailment forever.

Or 70 quid a year for 50 years on a pill that eleviates the symptoms for a short time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Red heads... god love 'em, they've suffered enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Genital warts.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Loike the D4 accent

• Advertisement

Loike the D4 accent

The cure for that is either a gag or a punch to the throat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Obesity.

Oh, wait....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Irish Womens ugliness
    Irish Womens attitude
    Cancer
    Aids
    Baldness
    cholesterol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Stiffler2 wrote: »

Irish Womens ugliness
    Irish Womens attitude

Cancer
    Aids
    Baldness
    cholesterol

Bitterness
    Self loathing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Stupidity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Vicxas wrote: »

Would you rather make a pill that costs 500 euro but cures someone of that ailment forever.

Or 70 quid a year for 50 years on a pill that eleviates the symptoms for a short time.

I agree with this. I believe there are cures for various cancers, aids etc but they are locked away as the real money is in deterents as the poster above said.

now a cure for Tubridy Smugness would be a worlds first

Irish Womens ugliness
    Irish Womens attitude

Cancer
    Aids
    Baldness
    cholesterol

Aside from them being in the list, I'm more surprised that you put those BEFORE cancer and aids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

Nonsense, complete conspiracy theory nonsense. If you had an instant cure to nicotine addiction would you give a **** if you put the nicorette guy out of business? If you had a cure for HIV would you give a **** if you put the anti-retroviral guys out of business?

Don't be fooled by rubbish posts like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Nonsense, complete conspiracy theory nonsense. If you had an instant cure to nicotine addiction would you give a **** if you put the nicorette guy out of business? If you had a cure for HIV would you give a **** if you put the anti-retroviral guys out of business?

I think what he means is from the point of view of the company.
    You will pay more over your lifetime for a treatment then a cure. I do think it more on the CT side of things but unlike most CT it makes logical sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

True. It takes years for a drug to make it onto the market even after its developed. Lots of red tape, various stages of clinical trials, etc.

This stuff costs millions.

That money comes from a pharmaceutical company owning the patent for that drug (exclusive rights to manufacture and sell it) for a number of years after it hits the shelves, usually 5 (though it can be extended if the drug is further modified).

After the patent expires its free reign for any company to make it and sell it, so its important for the patent holders to make as much as they can off of it before then. That profit goes into R&D to make the next new wonderdrug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wish something was developed to protect me from my own stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I can't believe dentistry isn't more advanced now. They're still mucking around with drills and plyers and still can't stop me getting holes in my teeth. Through some super-concrete in there or something ffs....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

chin_grin wrote: »
    Aside from them being in the list, I'm more surprised that you put those BEFORE cancer and aids!

It's a priortiy list with the highest priorities being at the top that should be dealth with first

It's a priortiy list with the highest priorities being at the top that should be dealth with first

F*ck yeah Stiffler! <high fives>

/bro irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Faces and limbs are far simpler structures than the spinal cord.

There is enormous money to be made curing spinal injuries, and advances are being made all the time

http://www.spineuniverse.com/treatments/surgery/advancements-spine-surgery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

rabies in lambs should have been cured by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

if you have the cure for HIV you probably are the anti-retroviral guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Why can't they come up with an alternative to the mouse/keyboard that isn't bad for your wrists? A monitor that isn't bad for your eyes also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I can't believe dentistry isn't more advanced now. They're still mucking around with drills and plyers and still can't stop me getting holes in my teeth. Through some super-concrete in there or something ffs....

Have you considered brushing your teeth or failing that false teeth ?

• Advertisement

gonnerhea is becoming drug resistant...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

With all the advances in scanning, Testing, lasers and robotics a prostate check is still a guy sticking a lubed finger up yer hole and wiggling it around.

With all the advances in scanning, Testing, lasers and robotics a prostate check is still a guy sticking a lubed finger up yer hole and wiggling it around.

yeah but you like it dont ya? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Sleep

Why can't they come up with an alternative to the mouse/keyboard that isn't bad for your wrists? A monitor that isn't bad for your eyes also.

I dont think we're too far off from having a 'Minority Report' style motion sensing screens, and voice recognition software that works properly.

In the meantime, fingerless weightlifting gloves give adequate wrist support if you're so inclined

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Atheism with their black souls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

davet82 wrote: »
    Red heads... god love 'em, they've suffered enough

We're watching you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

They go well with our handbags and shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Burning them cleanses their souls

Proper order

There was a thread yesterday about living in medieval times
    There's a good few on AH who wouldn't be so outspoken back then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Unclean water.

Why is it that there are still people on this planet without easy access to drinking water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Yea, but a few years ago scientists managed to get a frog to levitate. That was so worth it!

• Advertisement

Unclean water.

Why is it that there are still people on this planet without easy access to drinking water.

cos the filthy beggars keep washing and peeing in it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

The obsessive-compulsion to claim every expense available is rampant in certain sections of society and, despite repeated promises of a cure, still seems as prevalent as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Malaria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

toothaches, in this day and age ye think they could shoot a laser beam into your mouth and sort it, instead we're still yanking bone out of peoples mouthes

gonnerhea is becoming drug resistant...

If only there was some sort of barrier one could wear to avoid it...

If only there was some sort of barrier one could wear to avoid it...

condoms are NOT 100% safe :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

People's fascination at making Jedward HUGE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

davet82 wrote: »
    toothaches, in this day and age ye think they could shoot a laser beam into your mouth and sort it, instead we're still yanking bone out of peoples mouthes

Indeed, Dentristry is still Rip it out, Plug it up or cover it over.

Its the fact that dentists get paid so much to do it the hammer and tongs (literally) way that they havent seen any reason to change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Roundabouts

Tracker Mortgages

Phil Hogan

and on a serious note

Blindness & Deafness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Acquired brain injuries.

They should have invented a device like the one Bones had in one of the Star Trek movies by now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement