Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do i pay a young lad for farm help?

• 31-05-2012 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭

Well lads, a young lad going into 6yr asked for a summer job the other day. what sort of money should i give him. hel be prob doing jobs like repairing stuff with me, feeding calves, picking stones, cleaning out sheds, helping with the milking(with the idea of milking himself on hes own in the future). prob be around 5-6hours a day, hes just down the road
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Well lads, a young lad going into 6yr asked for a summer job the other day. what sort of money should i give him. hel be prob doing jobs like repairing stuff with me, feeding calves, picking stones, cleaning out sheds, helping with the milking(with the idea of milking himself on hes own in the future). prob be around 5-6hours a day, hes just down the road

€25 per day - 5 / 6 hours - cash. Feed of spuds and mate on top:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I would have said €35 to €40 cash per 6 hour working day, he is 17 or 18 (if he's in 6yr) so he should be worth that. Add 40 or 45 mins for grub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Ah lads. Give him the hour to go home for his dinner (if you arent feeding him)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Anyone who is an inexperienced employee and is under 18 is entitled to €6.06 per hour (70% of minimum wage). It increases with experience.

From HERE
    The national minimum wage for experienced adult employees and the sub-minimum rates for young people and certain trainees are as follows:

Rates on or after 1 July 2011 Minimum hourly rate of pay % of minimum wage
    Experienced adult worker €8.65 100%
    Aged under 18 €6.06 70%
    First year from date of first employment aged over 18 €6.92 80%
    Second year from date of first employment aged over 18 €7.79 90%
    Employee aged over 18, in structured training during working hours
    1st one third period €6.49 75%
    2nd one third period €6.92 80%
    3rd one third period €7.79 90%

Obviously thats the minimum, you can increase that yourself if he's a good grafter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Lakill posted somewhere else that he is paying 20 euro a lukozade and an icecream :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

moy83 wrote: »
    Lakill posted somewhere else that he is paying 20 euro a lukozade and an icecream :D:D:D

Feckin Accountants, always gettin the best deals ;)
    Wonder would he do much sums for a bottle of pop and an ice cream. :)

Seriously though if he's from a farming background €25 a day sounds good value if he's a grafter. Nothin worse than a lazy string of **** who hasn't hands fit to wipe his arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

He'd want to be getting minimum wage anyway, or he could be staring in some PrimeTime investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Plazaman wrote: »
    Anyone who is an inexperienced employee and is under 18 is entitled to €6.06 per hour (70% of minimum wage). It increases with experience.

From HERE

Obviously thats the minimum, you can increase that yourself if he's a good grafter.

An 18 year old near me was offered a job wrapping bales for the summer 50euro a day and that is a 13 hour day:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Lads FFS you miserable so and so's, €25 euro a day for an 18yr old worker. I would be paying €8 an hour if he is decent and more depending on the responsibilities you can trust them with. Other threads here are moaning about no good ag labour available - easy see why. Pay peanuts, get monkeys

I went to look at a tractor there a while back. The guy selling was a small time contractor. He told me he had to sell the tractor, as a young guy that was working for him had put in a claim. He got injured while working for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i would pay on the basis that i want him there the whole summer... €25 a day are ye mad... i would give at least 50 , that way they will appreciate you and you will aprreciate them... thats just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭pipelaser

I'd give him €7 an hour, as €6.60 would seem a bit tight.
    Also, as the lads said, if he's a good grafter give him a few perks as time goes by like lettin him ride the pony home or given' him dibs on yer finehest dauuuther.(the one that will get good road frontage)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

I know things may be different outside of the cities but I personally would not be working for less than €70 per day and that wouldn't be hard work.

For €25 I'd come in for two hours, wash a few cows and your tractor and go home. But then again I'm just a soft Dublin boy :) not able for "real" work :)

Considering how hard I assume it would be for him to get a job down the country would say €50 would be about right :) or just say €250 per week, it will sound much higher :)

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    I know things may be different outside of the cities but I personally would not be working for less than €70 per day and that wouldn't be hard work.

For €25 I'd come in for two hours, wash a few cows and your tractor and go home. But then again I'm just a soft Dublin boy :) not able for "real" work :)

Considering how hard I assume it would be for him to get a job down the country would say €50 would be about right :) or just say €250 per week, it will sound much higher :)
    what age and experience have you... You might be worth the 70 yo yos, but if you are teaching the lad stuff and training him, €40 per 6 hour day is enough to start... and the spuds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

what age and experience have you... You might be worth the 70 yo yos, but if you are teaching the lad stuff and training him, €40 per 6 hour day is enough to start... and the spuds

Sorry, I typed out that I was an 18 year old student. Must have deleted it :) I don't have much experience, I'm just a finance student.

Just realised I went a bit overboard with the :) 's in my other post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Highest minimum wage in Europe is €8.65, and thats in Ireland:o
    A broken, battered, insolvent, nation with mass immigration, second highest youth unemployment rate in Europe!!!

Do the maths folks,...................... we are living in dreamland:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

BeeDI wrote: »
    A broken, battered, insolvent, nation with mass immigration, second highest youth unemployment rate in Europe!!!

Really? Do we? :eek: :( :mad:

Do you have a link to this? not that I don't believe you, just would like to see the figures. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

BeeDI wrote: »

Great post - People out of touch with the rest of the world in this country

Really? Do we? :eek: :( :mad:

Do you have a link to this? not that I don't believe you, just would like to see the figures. Thanks.

How can you be shocked by this - we have 1 of the higest unemployment rates - both young and older - in the western world.

here's some background: http://www.youth.ie/advocacy/youth_unemployment

Youth Unemployment

Young people under 25 years of age have been badly hit by the recession. As of June 2010 there are 91,646 young people on the Live Register which equates to one fifth of all those on the Live Register. Youth unemployment has trebled since 2008 with 1 in 3 young men under 25 being out of work. The scale of the problem is masked by a big increase in numbers re-entering or staying in education and the numbers emigrating. The numbers of young people under 25 emigrating increased from 15,600 in 2004 to 30,000 in 2009. Sectors such as construction, retail and services where young people were heavily employed shed thousands of jobs. Between Q1 2008 and Q3 2009 youth employment in construction and manufacturing slumped by 63.6% and 47.4%.

think the biggest mistake made by this government was the pledge not to touch unemployment benefit, too many young people get too much for nothing.... dont get me started on the single mothers:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Tipp Man wrote: »
    How can you be shocked by this - we have 1 of the higest unemployment rates - both young and older - in the western world.

here's some background: http://www.youth.ie/advocacy/youth_unemployment

Youth Unemployment

Young people under 25 years of age have been badly hit by the recession. As of June 2010 there are 91,646 young people on the Live Register which equates to one fifth of all those on the Live Register. Youth unemployment has trebled since 2008 with 1 in 3 young men under 25 being out of work. The scale of the problem is masked by a big increase in numbers re-entering or staying in education and the numbers emigrating. The numbers of young people under 25 emigrating increased from 15,600 in 2004 to 30,000 in 2009. Sectors such as construction, retail and services where young people were heavily employed shed thousands of jobs. Between Q1 2008 and Q3 2009 youth employment in construction and manufacturing slumped by 63.6% and 47.4%.

Hi Tipp man,

I guess I was shocked to hear that we were second. I know I read recently that Spain had an unemployment rate of close to 50% for under 25 year olds.
    So assuming Spain is top with close to 50%, it did kinda shock me to hear we were second... Thats why I asked for the link, to see where exactly we were at for unemployment in this age bracket.

The line from your post above "Youth unemployment has trebled since 2008 with 1 in 3 young men under 25 being out of work. " is scary...

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

In my day you were lucky to get tuppence hapenny,a lick of the cream from the milk container and a bag of rotten spuds for a weeks work:-P

Hi Tipp man,

I guess I was shocked to hear that we were second. I know I read recently that Spain had an unemployment rate of close to 50% for under 25 year olds.
    So assuming Spain is top with close to 50%, it did kinda shock me to hear we were second... Thats why I asked for the link, to see where exactly we were at for unemployment in this age bracket.

The line from your post above "Youth unemployment has trebled since 2008 with 1 in 3 young men under 25 being out of work. " is scary...

Yep its scary - especially as noted the numbers could be much higher but people are staying longer in education and emigrating.

Imagine if those people were to be classed as unemployed

This country is in some mess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

I done this myself the summer before I went into 6th year. I earned €150 for a 5 day week, 5/6 hours per day. I was delighted with €150 and that was during the boom. Experience I gained from it was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

markc1184 wrote: »
    I done this myself the summer before I went into 6th year. I earned €150 for a 5 day week, 5/6 hours per day. I was delighted with €150 and that was during the boom. Experience I gained from it was great.

Farmers more than anybody should understand effect of surplus supply on the value of a product.
    We now have excess supply of labour over demand. Market force should determine the price of labour, not a stupid regulation.
    In the boom the market saw no ceiling. In the bust it sees a false floor.

Farmers more than anybody should understand effect of surplus supply on the value of a product.
    We now have excess supply of labour over demand. Market force should determine the price of labour, not a stupid regulation.
    In the boom the market saw no ceiling. In the bust it sees a false floor.

That's exactly why i cannot understand people quoting quite frankly ridiculous amounts to pay a young fella for a few hours work a day

What do you think so for the 5/6 hour a day tipp man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

whelan1 wrote: »
    think the biggest mistake made by this government was the pledge not to touch unemployment benefit, too many young people get too much for nothing.... dont get me started on the single mothers:mad:

Not all single mothers are as perceived.

25-30 gives him 150 a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

40-50 is the lowest I'd have worked at that age. Even when I was 17, I was getting €35 for 3 hours work in a chipper. It's only fair he earns roughly minimum wage.

25-30 gives him 150 a week
    Plus he is out of the house, no computer, no facebook and out from under mammys feet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

When I was in school I did a lot of odd jobs with the neighbours at weekends and things, rounding up cows, dosing, building walls, fencing etc. If one of them turned around to me and gave me 30 or 40 quid for a days slaving then that was the end of it, always the same hunger *****rs with a lump of money under the matress and a pain in their back from lying on it. A few of them tried it and they will never be forgotten for it!! I agree with bob charles, pay peanuts and monkeys will what you have. Anyone stupid enough to work for 25 or 30 euro a day obviously hasnt 2 brain cells to rub together.

When I was in school I did a lot of odd jobs with the neighbours at weekends and things, rounding up cows, dosing, building walls, fencing etc. If one of them turned around to me and gave me 30 or 40 quid for a days slaving then that was the end of it, always the same hunger *****rs with a lump of money under the matress and a pain in their back from lying on it. A few of them tried it and they will never be forgotten for it!! I agree with bob charles, pay peanuts and monkeys will what you have. Anyone stupid enough to work for 25 or 30 euro a day obviously hasnt 2 brain cells to rub together.

you'd be in for some shock Redzer in most other countries in the world

He is a young unskilled worker - he's not even left bloody school

The sense of entitlement in this country is going to ruin it - or should i say has ruined it - the Celtic tiger which made everybody think they are worth more than they really are

I have no idea what is going to deminish this sense of entitlement either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

I was getting 2.50 an hour back 14 or 15 years ago and delighted to get it. Included tractor work, lambing, cleaning out houses and a lot of other general duties. Every body that worked for that man ended up serious workers and all doing alright for themselves. we were out together one night and all came to the conclusion that it was working for him gave us all a good work ethic. Theres more to work at that age than the money.
    I myself have had a few lads for everything from work placement through to qualified and paid accordingly. some lads are definately not worth more than 20 a day at that age and a few a lot older. if hes a neighbour you dont want to insult him but you dont want to start him too high and then have to cut him. Id say 30 is plenty to start him and if hes any good give him an odd bonus. Theres qualified ejits out there on the social working for 60.

The sense of entitlement in this country is going to ruin it - or should i say has ruined it - the Celtic tiger which made everybody think they are worth more than they really are

What you get paid is more relevant to the cost of living than anything else. Would you work for it now tipp man if you were that age? When I was in school I knew more than some of the lads I used to be doing the jobs for. Jesus when I was in Ag college only a few years ago we used to get 50 euro a day doing our farm placement. By all means see how good a worker the lad is first but if hes a good worker and you want him to stick around you have to pay him fairly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Drawinhard!!

Im 18 doing the leaving in a few days.
    I basically run our farm and get no wage at the end of a weeks work .
    I do however get a calf or two and use the machinery to make myself money over d summer !!
    I got 250 a week wen i was in 5th year working for a builder doing shuttering and i earned it and at the end of the day i did the farming aswell .
    I will say if hes an honest young lad give him 40/45 a day .

Atleast hes looking for work and not causing trouble;)

1chippy wrote: »
    I was getting 2.50 an hour back 14 or 15 years ago and delighted to get it. Included tractor work, lambing, cleaning out houses and a lot of other general duties. Every body that worked for that man ended up serious workers and all doing alright for themselves. we were out together one night and all came to the conclusion that it was working for him gave us all a good work ethic. Theres more to work at that age than the money.
    I myself have had a few lads for everything from work placement through to qualified and paid accordingly. some lads are definately not worth more than 20 a day at that age and a few a lot older. if hes a neighbour you dont want to insult him but you dont want to start him too high and then have to cut him. Id say 30 is plenty to start him and if hes any good give him an odd bonus. Theres qualified ejits out there on the social working for 60.

Great post and you hit the nail on the head - instilling a work ethic is way more important than the money at that age - it will make them for life

my son is 11, he helps me at weekends and in return gets credit for his phone, no work no credit

What you get paid is more relevant to the cost of living than anything else. Would you work for it now tipp man if you were that age? When I was in school I knew more than some of the lads I used to be doing the jobs for. Jesus when I was in Ag college only a few years ago we used to get 50 euro a day doing our farm placement. By all means see how good a worker the lad is first but if hes a good worker and you want him to stick around you have to pay him fairly.

a large part of the reason the cost of living is so high in this country is directly attributible to wage inflation - when you pay people too much they spend more and become less observant of how they spend their cash. Don't forget this is a vicioius circle - for example if your vet pays his secretary double what he should - then his costs will be higher and he will charge you more per visit thus raising your costs and lower your profits.

With regards to whether i'd do it or not - For 3 years in the mid 90's i was getting 120 pounds a week for a typical 55-60 hour week with a tillage farmer - the vast majority of every day was spent stooking small square bales, filling loads of square bales, and unloading loads of small square bales. This farmer has 250 acreas of tillage and every acre was small square bales and i was doing the majority of it by myself - tough work but i'd have no problem doing it again

As i said the work ethic is the most important thing

But kids nowadays generally wouldn't do a tap without a huge paypacket - as i said this country is ruined from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

I think you should pay the young lad what he's worth.

Do you like cleaning out the cow house ?
    Do you like doing all those annoying little repair jobs ?
    If you teach him to milk you have cover for your herd all year round, you may be able to take the odd weekend off.

If you're farming 50 acres and pay €150 a week it would be a large outgoing.

If you're farming 500 acres and do silage contracting on the side then paying €150 a week would make you look like a tight git.

Personally I'd have a chat with his parents before I asked the youngster anything.

Explain to them that you need someone for a few hours a day around the farm, you can't pay much(see above) but you'll treat him fairly and provide him with training that will stand to him in the future.(farm relief work)

You should also be clear with the parents that if you think the lad is not up to the work you'll not be able to keep him on.

You should also make it clear that you don't expect them to force him to take the job, it has to be his choice.

Another thing to consider is insurance (p.r.s.i.).

Taking on someone for a few hours a week is to be commended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

a large part of the reason the cost of living is so high in this country is directly attributible to wage inflation - when you pay people too much they spend more and become less observant of how they spend their cash. Don't forget this is a vicioius circle - for example if your vet pays his secretary double what he should - then his costs will be higher and he will charge you more per visit thus raising your costs and lower your profits.

With regards to whether i'd do it or not - For 3 years in the mid 90's i was getting 120 pounds a week for a typical 55-60 hour week with a tillage farmer - the vast majority of every day was spent stooking small square bales, filling loads of square bales, and unloading loads of small square bales. This farmer has 250 acreas of tillage and every acre was small square bales and i was doing the majority of it by myself - tough work but i'd have no problem doing it again

But kids nowadays generally wouldn't do a tap without a huge paypacket - as i said this country is ruined from it

And in my day, mars bars were 30p
    How much is 120punts from the 90's compared to 150euros today?
    The guy isn't doing it to develop a work ethic, he's doing it to get paid and maybe get some work experience.

Screwing this kid over won't fix the country and paying him a fair wage won't break it.

al28283 wrote: »
    And in my day, mars bars were 30p
    How much is 120punts from the 90's compared to 150euros today?
    The guy isn't doing it to develop a work ethic, he's doing it to get paid and maybe get some work experience.

Screwing this kid over won't fix the country and paying him a fair wage won't break it.

I was working double the hours this kid is being offered - so about 2 punts an hour - that equals just over 2.50 EUR an hour. Allowing for 15 years ago then 5 EUR an hour is double it

It's not about screwing this or any kid over - its about making people realise that money doesn't grow on trees like it used to - it has to earned which means working hard and not having ridiculous wage expectations for working hard - and thats the attitude that will fix this country

Min wage in London the biggest city in Europe, and one of the most expensive in the world is like this http://m.direct.gov.uk/syndicationController?action=view&param=DG_201426&utn=0e57dac5872f4236a858201205312150

Go research the numbers for Germany, France, USA for yourself!
    Same story! Funny thing is, it's not cheap to live in any of those countries either.
    What's so different about Ireland? I'll tell you, we are bust, they are not!
    They are contributing to our bail out.

But some of us think it's ok for them to have a min wage far below ours, because we are "worth" more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 STI V5

A lad that does work experience with me once a week and works with me on his days off from school gets 50-60 a day and lunches paid for ( He eats like a horse ) picked up and dropped at his door !! but some days when i get a good payer job hes went home with 200e in his pocket .. not bad considering i used to get 75punts a week (apprentice plumber) and worked like a savage for it !!! If the lads a good worker pay him as much as u can afford !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

regardless of what anyone is going to be paid i would advise setting up proprly for prsi,etc. also make sure you have employers liability insurance. ther is a set number of hours young people can work on a farm per week.set him up to pay his tax(allowable against your own tax bill) and if he earns below the threshold he will be able to reclaim the tax you paid for him at the end of the tax year

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

I was working double the hours this kid is being offered - so about 2 punts an hour - that equals just over 2.50 EUR an hour. Allowing for 15 years ago then 5 EUR an hour is double it

It's not about screwing this or any kid over - its about making people realise that money doesn't grow on trees like it used to - it has to earned which means working hard and not having ridiculous wage expectations for working hard - and thats the attitude that will fix this country
    Money never grew on trees, people just didn't know it's worth. Hard work should be paid accordingly, granted he is only in school and probably inexperienced , but €5 isn't the right pay for hard labour. €7 wouldn't be too shabby for somebody in school trying to earn some money, not building "work ethic" like somebody else was saying earlier.

I think you either have a good work eithic or you don't tipp man, I know a few lads that worked with the contractor I work for getting 10 euro an hou and the left it because they were missing their nights out at the weekends, long hours of sweaty work with no feeding never bothered me, I actually like being rushed off my feet for the summer and look after all the gear as if it was my own. I was actually paid more from him when I was in college and won't forget him for that either. Not every lad is cut out for milking cows and herding cattle, some people are around them all their lives and are still clueless!! We all know there are no real set hours when it comes to farming, I have often racked up 400 hours in a month at silage!! If the lad is good he's surely worth 8 euro an hour in my eyes regardless of if the minimum wage was 2cents, at least he would be capable of looking after things by himself. My auld lad was in the farm apprenticeship scheme when he was in his early 20s and came out top of the country in it. He often told me when I was a young lad whatever I do don't work for a farmer...I wonder why :rolleyes:

I think the best thing a young person can do is work a really sh1tty job when they are young. It really motivates them to study when they hit the books.:D

pakalasa wrote: »
    I think the best thing a young person can do is work a really sh1tty job when they are young. It really motivates them to study when they hit the books.:D
    True pak, a lot of my friends left school to become builders during the boom getting huge wages without over stressing themselves. I'd say there is a lot of them kicking themselves up the arse now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

a thread choc full of stingy kunts it seems. wouldnt get out of bed for he twine some of you are recommending. id spend 40 quid on a haircut never mind 40 quid for a days work. you miserable set of bastids

• Advertisement
Advertisement