Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do i pay a young lad for farm help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

a thread choc full of stingy kunts it seems. wouldnt get out of bed for he twine some of you are recommending. id spend 40 quid on a haircut never mind 40 quid for a days work. you miserable set of bastids

is it possible to spend so much on a new hairdo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

DMAXMAN wrote: »
    regardless of what anyone is going to be paid i would advise setting up proprly for prsi,etc. also make sure you have employers liability insurance. ther is a set number of hours young people can work on a farm per week.set him up to pay his tax(allowable against your own tax bill) and if he earns below the threshold he will be able to reclaim the tax you paid for him at the end of the tax year

Are you actually serious?

I don't think that there is any teen who pays tax during the summer.

I was working in a huge fashion chain during the summer between 5th and 6th year and they didn't even set me up for tax.

Liability insurance is a good idea but I doubt that will be done, costs too much and chances are it won't be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I can't believe the way half this thread seems to think paying a decent wage is what has sent our country down the toilet. Also, only one person seems to have taken into account that Ireland is a very expensive country to live in, and the national minimum wage reflects that.

For a hard day's work he should at least be getting 7 or 8 euro. If you take him on for the entire summer at 30 hours a week an extra euro an hour will cost you a grand total of... 360 odd euro.
    Cutting that euro from his wages might end up costing you a good trained worker for the future as he will find someone more generous.

I've done a solid day's work before and I can tell you if you said to me I was getting 5 or 6 an hour I'd tell you where to stick it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

I can't believe the way half this thread seems to think paying a decent wage is what has sent our country down the toilet. Also, only one person seems to have taken into account that Ireland is a very expensive country to live in, and the national minimum wage reflects that.

For a hard day's work he should at least be getting 7 or 8 euro. If you take him on for the entire summer at 30 hours a week an extra euro an hour will cost you a grand total of... 360 odd euro.
    Cutting that euro from his wages might end up costing you a good trained worker for the future as he will find someone more generous.

I've done a solid day's work before and I can tell you if you said to me I was getting 5 or 6 an hour I'd tell you where to stick it!

So you obviously have heard of the social partnership and the huge mess it has made of our public finances - benchmarking anyone??

Wages have driven the cost of living tru the roof here and yet we never learn. As Atila already pointed out do you think London or Paris are cheaper to live in??

You know that bloody hair ad where the hot girl says "because im worth it" seems to have filtered into people's brains and made them think they are worth Hollywood type salaries just for getting up in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

a thread choc full of stingy kunts it seems. wouldnt get out of bed for he twine some of you are recommending. id spend 40 quid on a haircut never mind 40 quid for a days work. you miserable set of bastids

<snip>, agree with you point on the stingy posters though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Vandy West

How many farmers actually make more than the minimum wage?

40 hrs x 52 hrs/week x 8.65/hr = 18,000 a year

Looking at it another way, If you allow a net margin of 300euro/acre/year you would need 60 acres to make 18k a year.

So why should an inexperienced worker make more than "the boss". Five euro an hour is a good starting wage when someone with experience is probably only making somewhere between 8-10 euro an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

It shouldn't be about what the lad 'should' be getting. Unless OP is hiring him out of principal, then he should be paying him what he thinks the boy is worth - in a pure economics point of view, the lowest amount that will make him show up, not take the piss, and not take up the first alternative job should he come across one (given that there's nobody to replace him).

Only the OP can decide what that amount is.

so let's look at this from a financial point of view

Your typical non dairy farm is making about 250 an acre per annum - give or take on a good or bad year

People are saying this kid should be getting a minimum of 50 a day or 250 a week - so the kid would be getting the profit of 1 acre every week - over the course of a year he would get the profit of 50 acres

So a kid who hasn't left school, has no experience or knowledge of farming (from what i can gather) and has no skill should be paid the equivilant profit of 50 acres?? This is nuts - this kid has invested nothing. To make that profit the farmer would have invested 500k to buy it, 50k to stock it and another 50k for sheds, bit of machinery etc.

On what planet should a kid doing a few hours a day make the same amount as a farmer with 600k invested in assets

Farmers are fools - it really is that simple

Vandy West wrote: »
    How many farmers actually make more than the minimum wage?

40 hrs x 52 hrs/week x 8.65/hr = 18,000 a year

Looking at it another way, If you allow a net margin of 300euro/acre/year you would need 60 acres to make 18k a year.

So why should an inexperienced worker make more than "the boss". Five euro an hour is a good starting wage when someone with experience is probably only making somewhere between 8-10 euro an hour.

Thanks God there is somebody who see that the numbers being mentioned here are nonsense

Whats amazing is that even on the home page of the farming forum there are 2 threads - "11,000 farmers on farm assist" and "Sucklers or bucket reared" where a fella is wondering how he can make money from 70 acres. The fella with 70 acres will be lucky to make as much as a kid over the year by the looks of it

If people on this forum think an inexperienced kid still in school should be earning that kind of money then we should never again have any threads on here complaining about profit from farming or cost in farming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

come on, most farmers could not afford to pay €360, some would hardly be getting that themselves!

if a farmer had to pay that kind of money they woulednt be taking tham on unless of course you are on of the small % and own 500 plus acres

........only seeing you post now Tipp Man, you put it much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

If the lad is not making at least 200 a week then you'd be a fool to expect him to last the entire summer IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

<snip>, agree with you point on the stingy posters though.

So Bob, lets take a suckler farmer. Would you consider a suckler farmer to be "stingy" if he offered say €6 an hour to a young lad looking for a bit of summer work, considering that when you were a "sizeable suckler farmer", you barely "scraped" a living out of it? :eek:

bbam wrote: »
    I'd doubt it.
    I'd say the opposite is true and many think they are doing better than they are and many farms swallow up the SFP as if it were a regular income for the farm. We've been moving to get things profitable without it as it won't always be there to rely on.

As for it suiting small farms more I'd also wonder as they miss out from the economies of scale that larger farms get. I suppose what you deem a small farm, lots of lads I know have 15-20 sucklers. It's not much stock to divide out the overheads on, any loss quickly drives the whole enterprise into a loss making one.

but sure this was flagged for the last 12 to 15 months that there would be a price premuim firstly for heifers, then bullocks and bull will be at a discount which is due to get larger in the near future. Why target animals for a market that isnt desired.

Regarding sucklers - we used to run a fairly sizable herd and I cant understand how anyone even scrapes a living from them. I know our system didnt suit sucklers but they morphed from the subs era when you were paid to keep the cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Pay the kid minimum wage at least and set him up properly re tax and everything . If you cant afford to do that you really shouldnt be hiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Are there two separate discussions here?

1) How much should a worker be paid
    2) How much a farmer can afford to pay

I know one directly influences the other. But just cos a farmer is not making good money, doesn't mean he can get away with paying less than minimum wage.

Surely this is quite simple -
    If you can afford a worker, get one, if you cant, don't.
    If you get a worker - pay minimum wage. Rightly or wrongly, high or low, its the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Madness Ted, just Madness.

Offer him €150 and grub. But don't work him like a slave. Show him what's going on and how things are done properly, that way he's learning too.

The money just isn't there to be paying minimum wage from farming.

If he's not happy with that then fine. But there is no point the both of you working hard just so he gets paid the minimum wage. You'd be the busy fool then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

so if one of yer kids got a similar job and told you they where getting €25 for a 6 hour day what would your opinion be?

whelan1 wrote: »
    so if one of yer kids got a similar job and told you they where getting €25 for a 6 hour day what would your opinion be?

Don't be late for work

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Skittles_

Pay what he's worth, experience is king in these situations. There's a huge difference in a young lad who has little knowledge and requires full training to one that just needs tailoring to suit your method. 30 a day + spuds (with is like another €10), extra for milking/overtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

whelan1 wrote: »

Take it and be glad of it! Everybody I know in my area, in a tourist hot spot, where there used to be plent of summer jobs going for school kids from 16 years upwards, now complaining that there is sweet FA availaible.

Why, because there are too many unemployed adults who have taken up the posts.

My daughter is 24, finished college last week, and now waiting for results. Has had the same summer job since she was 17. Not available this year, because business is down, and the shop owner says he just cannot afford to pay staff. He and his wife are working more and working longer hours themselves just to keep the show on the road.

Where I am working myself, we have been absolutely inundated with people looking for work in general. We have had so far 67 applications for summer work for students and still walking in the door every day at a rate of 5 or 6!

Small business of the kind that might hire a student for ssummer months, are under serious pressure. Their sales and revenue is down, and their net income is down, big time from the boom years.
    How on earth does it make sense for them to hire any staff, and where they can hire some, how does it make sense to pay the second highest min wage in Europe. The highest is Luxembourg, for f sake.

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Tipp Man wrote: »
    So you obviously have heard of the social partnership and the huge mess it has made of our public finances - benchmarking anyone??

Wages have driven the cost of living tru the roof here and yet we never learn. As Atila already pointed out do you think London or Paris are cheaper to live in??

You know that bloody hair ad where the hot girl says "because im worth it" seems to have filtered into people's brains and made them think they are worth Hollywood type salaries just for getting up in the morning

Yes I have - I never said anything about exorbitant salaries, I said a decent wage does no harm whatsoever.

razor8 wrote: »
    come on, most farmers could not afford to pay €360, some would hardly be getting that themselves!

if a farmer had to pay that kind of money they woulednt be taking tham on unless of course you are on of the small % and own 500 plus acres

........only seeing you post now Tipp Man, you put it much better

<snip>, plain and simple. If you can't afford to hire him at a decent wage, then don't hire him and work the farm yourself, because obviously it's not that big a farm.

• Advertisement

Yes I have - I never said anything about exorbitant salaries, I said a decent wage does no harm whatsoever.

<snip>, plain and simple. If you can't afford to hire him at a decent wage, then don't hire him and work the farm yourself, because obviously it's not that big a farm.
    Look at the numbers below and realise just how much a farmer could need to have invested just to pay a kid a few quid a week

This country has no idea how out of touch wages - across all sectors - are out of touch with where they should be
    so let's look at this from a financial point of view

Your typical non dairy farm is making about 250 an acre per annum - give or take on a good or bad year

People are saying this kid should be getting a minimum of 50 a day or 250 a week - so the kid would be getting the profit of 1 acre every week - over the course of a year he would get the profit of 50 acres

So a kid who hasn't left school, has no experience or knowledge of farming (from what i can gather) and has no skill should be paid the equivilant profit of 50 acres?? This is nuts - this kid has invested nothing. To make that profit the farmer would have invested 500k to buy it, 50k to stock it and another 50k for sheds, bit of machinery etc.

On what planet should a kid doing a few hours a day make the same amount as a farmer with 600k invested in assets

Farmers are fools - it really is that simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Wages minimum or otherwise which are higher in this country, than in our main markets for our exports and tourists, do imense harm to the country and the economy. High wages damage competitiveness.
    The country WILL need another bail out in 2013. We WILL have to go cap in hand to the troika.
    There WILL be more strict conditions attached before we get money.
    We WILL have to cut costs and get more competitive.
    We WILL have to cut social welfare rates to incentivise the taking of work at lower rates of pay!
    We WILL have to cut the minimum wage.

Remmember the famous words of Maggie Thatcher "you can't buck the markets"!!
    Well she was right. All markets find their own price level, based on supply and demand. With high unemploymemt, wages will fall.
    Get over it, and get on with it, and better a young fella with a bit of s summer job for €150 a week than moping around the house at home.

Tora Bora wrote: »

Wages minimum or otherwise which are higher in this country, than in our main markets for our exports and tourists, do imense harm to the country and the economy. High wages damage competitiveness.
    The country WILL need another bail out in 2013. We WILL have to go cap in hand to the troika.
    There WILL be more strict conditions attached before we get money.
    We WILL have to cut costs and get more competitive.
    We WILL have to cut social welfare rates to incentivise the taking of work at lower rates of pay!
    We WILL have to cut the minimum wage.

Remmember the famous words of Maggie Thatcher "you can't buck the markets"!!
    Well she was right. All markets find their own price level, based on supply and demand. With high unemploymemt, wages will fall.
    Get over it, and get on with it, and better a young fella with a bit of s summer job for €150 a week than moping around the house at home.

Someone should pass this memo onto the IFA, tell them to stop whining about lamb prices,

At the end of the day if farmers want the public to start treating the sector as more than a bunch of tax evading grant scroungers (NOTE - Im not claiming this is accurate for all/many farmers just how the sector is viewed), they need to start acting like proper businesses - pay appropriate wages, no cash in hand sh*te. If you cant do this, dont hire someone. Its no use citing the markets as a reason to pay low wages and then whining when the same market makes your business non-viable

Unfortunately what a farmer makes himself is irrelevant. Just because you are making no money doesn't mean that you can inflict slave labour on your worker. Thanks for someone pointing out what I have said before. There is barely if even a living being made from farming at present. Currently 2 of us are working up to and over 100hrs every week, We aren't making a rex, and I can't see anything being make till 2013 (hence why I have this year written off already). so just because Im making nothing does this mean that if I hire someone to do a few days work I pay them peanuts aswell. Only when we are seriously under pressure or it makes economic sense will we have extra labour in this year as I just can't afford it. To a untrained enthusiastic you good young guy looking to learn I would pay €7 an hour, for an experienced guy I would pay them €10 an hour both through the books. So yes there is no money being made in Ag at present but that doesn't mean you can take advantage of other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

ceegee wrote: »
    Someone should pass this memo onto the IFA, tell them to stop whining about lamb prices,

At the end of the day if farmers want the public to start treating the sector as more than a bunch of tax evading grant scroungers (NOTE - Im not claiming this is accurate for all/many farmers just how the sector is viewed), they need to start acting like proper businesses - pay appropriate wages, no cash in hand sh*te. If you cant do this, dont hire someone. Its no use citing the markets as a reason to pay low wages and then whining when the same market makes your business non-viable

Don't listen to any of that auld ****e from the IFA, or any other representative body for that matter, like SIPTU or the likes.

The important point is the farmer is getting the "market" price for his lamb now. It is lower than it was a whild back. Well, tough fcukin sh1t! What is he going to do? Dump the lamb or take the price.

Same applies to cost of labour. It goes up when there is big demand and short supply. Tough, if ya want someone you have to compete to hire them.
    It goes down when the supply exceeds demand. Tough on the fella looking for work. That's all I'm saying.

BeeDI wrote: »
    Don't listen to any of that auld ****e from the IFA, or any other representative body for that matter, like SIPTU or the likes.

The important point is the farmer is getting the "market" price for his lamb now. It is lower than it was a whild back. Well, tough fcukin sh1t! What is he going to do? Dump the lamb or take the price.

Same applies to cost of labour. It goes up when there is big demand and short supply. Tough, if ya want someone you have to compete to hire them.
    It goes down when the supply exceeds demand. Tough on the fella looking for work. That's all I'm saying.

I also agree that there shouldn't be a minimum wage as it results in less money going around. Say I have a nice handy job going that could do with being done (can't think of any off hand). at €7 an hour I might consider doing the job as there would be an economic benefit to me. Now if I'm forced to pay the minimum labors wage (is this not higher that €8.65 an hour) I may consider that it isn't worth doing this job so the economy as a whole lose out due to the minimum wage. Protecting the vulnerable from not being abused with no minimum wage though is an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭Conflats

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Well lads, a young lad going into 6yr asked for a summer job the other day. what sort of money should i give him. hel be prob doing jobs like repairing stuff with me, feeding calves, picking stones, cleaning out sheds, helping with the milking(with the idea of milking himself on hes own in the future). prob be around 5-6hours a day, hes just down the road

To the original post
    I just finished college and last year(2011) i did college placement on a wide range of farms (pigs sheep dairy etc) there was no obligation to pay but i can tell you this much any farmer that paid me i always thought highly of and some might say I have a bad attitude but the simple point is I had to get up at 7 in the morning and want home till 7 at night and i worked hard during the day always did the jobs and did them well at the end of my farm placement i worked out with 500euro(from the dairy farmer, milking cows feeding them etc) for 3 weeks work now my father and myself agreed that this was good money as dinner and tea was provided (and calculate that 6x €10=€60 a week at least)
    When i was 17 i got a summer job and it was the dirtiest job going(working with used waste cooking oil in the summer heat) but i was paid €7/hr did 45hr+ weeks and it showed me before college what kind of job's I could end up at and encouraged me to work hard
    So after my rant as a young person pay the lad enough to make him feel appreciated dont abuse him and look after him, it will stand to you in the future as a person never forgets where they were treated well, €175-200 a week is plenty good money because if you price the alternative like frs they will charge you alot more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Not all single mothers are as perceived.

100% agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

The sense of entitlement in this country is going to ruin it - or should i say has ruined it - the Celtic tiger which made everybody think they are worth more than they really are

I have no idea what is going to deminish this sense of entitlement either

Ye I completely agree, these whinging farmers want it all!

Can't believe how tight some of you are on here 25 euro for 6 hours work lol, its 2012 not 1964

I have no idea what is going to deminish this sense of entitlement either

A few more years of recession and austerity to the point of "having to make do".

• Advertisement

I also agree that there shouldn't be a minimum wage as it results in less money going around. Say I have a nice handy job going that could do with being done (can't think of any off hand). at €7 an hour I might consider doing the job as there would be an economic benefit to me. Now if I'm forced to pay the minimum labors wage (is this not higher that €8.65 an hour) I may consider that it isn't worth doing this job so the economy as a whole lose out due to the minimum wage. Protecting the vulnerable from not being abused with no minimum wage though is an issue

To be honest, if there is 1.65 an hour in the difference of the job being an economic benefit, its not much of a job, the minimum wage there is to protect people from being exploited from greedy employers and relative to the cost of living it's still too low in my opinion.

Also the economy benefits more from your average Joe having a little extra in his pocket, rather than the top 5%(lots of business owners in this top 5%)

Unfortunately what a farmer makes himself is irrelevant. .

Thats why famers will have f##k all for themselves - they'll be too busy paying it in wages to young fellas for a few hours work a day

Busy fools is all they'll be - putting money in the pocket of others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Give the young lad 10e an hour if he's a good worker.

johngalway wrote: »
    A few more years of recession and austerity to the point of "having to make do".

I;m not even sure it will John - I really think it will take something along the lines of an Argentinean default to knock sense into people

Thats why famers will have f##k all for themselves - they'll be too busy paying it in wages to young fellas for a few hours work a day

Sell your farm, get a plane ticket and get a job in a factory in England, sure you'll be better off than you are now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Look at the numbers below and realise just how much a farmer could need to have invested just to pay a kid a few quid a week

This country has no idea how out of touch wages - across all sectors - are out of touch with where they should be

You're trolling again Tipp Man.

You're trolling again Tipp Man.

If trolling means making sense, then yes, he sure is.

Unfortunately what a farmer makes himself is irrelevant. .

If your company isnt able to pay staff minimum wage it should reduce staff to a minimum. If you cant run it with minimum staff at minimum wage you shouldnt be in business.

Applies just as much to a farm as any other company

Give the young lad 10e an hour if he's a good worker.

Ridiculous

The lad is young and has no experience. He's still in bloody school

If you start him at 10 euro an hour - what do you end up paying a fella with a bit of experience 12-14??, what do you pay a fella with plenty of experience 14-18?? More??

What about a farm manager? should he be getting 100k a year??

Farmers would be paying more than they'd get themselves - I'd have no problem if fools wanted to do this - except the problem is that it does effect me as it sets the whole wage level too high raising my costs indirectly

• Advertisement

Sell your farm, get a plane ticket and get a job in a factory in England, sure you'll be better off than you are now

I'm doing alright at the moment thanks very much

But thats because i'm not an idiot paying an inexperienced school kid ridiculous wages for a few hours a day

If your company isnt able to pay staff minimum wage it should reduce staff to a minimum. If you cant run it with minimum staff at minimum wage you shouldnt be in business.

And here in a nutshell is the whole reason the country is f##ked

Rather than reduce the minimum wage and hire more staff you'd rather bueinesses reduced their staff but paid high wages. So less produced at a higher cost??

Some serious lack of logic in that - but then we have 450k unemployed so it's no wonder

Rather than reduce the minimum wage and hire more staff you'd rather bueinesses reduced their staff but paid high wages. So less produced at a higher cost??

Some serious lack of logic in that - but then we have 450k unemployed so it's no wonder

The reason the country is F#@ked is because of greed, not minimum wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

tis rare a thread causes this much commotion especially in here, might aswell give my two cents im 17 and just off from school if i had this job i would happily take 7-9 euro an hour.

Anyone working outside in a physically demanding role deserves a fair wage, you reckon 25-30 quid is a fair wage for a days work??
    Theres a minimum wage there for a reason - to stop <snip> exploiting the vulnerable.

And blaming the state of the economy on minimum wage labourers is bullsh*t, I stand by my point - If your only way to stay in business is pay slave labour you should throw in the towel.

When the ULA get into Government (I struggle to hold back laughter at the concept). There will be collective farms for all and bread for none :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Mother of god.
    He's offering this fella the money. Not kidnapping him and forcing him into slave labour.
    If the lad thinks its not enough he can walk away and find something better, if he can. We need to realise that the costs of casual unskilled labour during the boom years is gone. This is a young fella looking for casual summer work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]
    I've done a bit of pruning of some rather personalised comments and statements.
    This is a most interesting thread, but it is also obviously one which has the potential to raise tempers and lead to intemperate posting.
    Please pause for a moment and re-read your post before hitting the 'Reply' button, and consider would you be willing to speak the words out loud to someone's face in public, or what your own response might be if they were directed at yourself.

Carry on, but please keep it civilised and reasonable.
    Thread reopened.
    [/MOD]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

ya i think ill start him at 9-12 he can go home for the dinner till 2 and then 2-5:45. I was thinking about 50 a day(thats over 7euros an hour if hes good). prob give him more if he can milk the cows on his own after awhile. its a good bit i reckon, should i get some insurance for him? or will public liability cover him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I've noticed every now and again, a thread appears that attracts people from outside farming. It always seems to descend into personal abuse. Pity.....

kevthegaff wrote: »
    ya i think ill start him at 9-12 he can go home for the dinner till 2 and then 2-5:45. I was thinking about 50 a day(thats over 7euros an hour if hes good). prob give him more if he can milk the cows on his own after awhile. its a good bit i reckon, should i get some insurance for him? or will public liability cover him

Id say thats a fair amount for those hours. Provided hes not a sh*te worker but only time will tell on that front.

Also would like to apologise to the mods and other posters for my earlier posts, i see one was snipped, and i did get a bit personal - hope no offence was caused

• Advertisement
Advertisement