Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do i pay a young lad for farm help?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

leonidas83 wrote: »
    JUST GIVE HIM A COUPLE OF RASHERS AND SAUSAGES IN THE MORNING FOLLOWED BY SOME SPUDS IN THE EVENING & LEAVE IT AT THAT. PEOPLE ARE FAR TOO GENEROUS THESE DAYS, HE SHOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR ANY FOOD HE GETS IN THESE TIMES, DOES HE KNOW THERE'S A RECESSION GOING ON OUT THERE FFS
    This is single handedly the biggest load of sh1te I've ever read on boards....

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭grumpyfarmer

pajero12 wrote: »
    leonidas83 wrote: »
    JUST GIVE HIM A COUPLE OF RASHERS AND SAUSAGES IN THE MORNING FOLLOWED BY SOME SPUDS IN THE EVENING & LEAVE IT AT THAT. PEOPLE ARE FAR TOO GENEROUS THESE DAYS, HE SHOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR ANY FOOD HE GETS IN THESE TIMES, DOES HE KNOW THERE'S A RECESSION GOING ON OUT THERE FFS
    This is single handedly the biggest load of sh1te I've ever read on boards....
    Id say that's just someone stirring it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 axel7

Anything less than €50 a day is miserable. Anyone that pays less than that a day is plain miserable. If you can't afford to pay any more than that you shouldn't be taking on anyone. As for this s##t about providing experience and improving employability - it's unskilled labour get real. This country's still an expensive place to live recession or no recession. Either stop penny-pinching or just face it, your business is not profitable enough to take on an extra unit of labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

axel7 wrote: »
    Anything less than €50 a day is miserable. Anyone that pays less than that a day is plain miserable. If you can't afford to pay any more than that you shouldn't be taking on anyone. As for this s##t about providing experience and improving employability - it's unskilled labour get real. This country's still an expensive place to live recession or no recession. Either stop penny-pinching or just face it, your business is not profitable enough to take on an extra unit of labour.

If thats the case, why not go the whole hog. Pay top dollar for all your inputs in case any one gets the impression you are a miserable hoor!!
    I have a few cattle to sell. Why don't you come my way and pay top money!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Good loser

Your post is miserably poor.

The guy is only going to work 6 hours a day.

What he gets is all profit to him - the alternative is to get nothing.

If employer makes the offer then young lad can choose yes or no.

I had two fellows working for me recently neither of whom could use a SHOVEL. One resorted to putting the clay on the shovel with his (gloved) hands!

• Advertisement

If thats the case, why not go the whole hog. Pay top dollar for all your inputs in case any one gets the impression you are a miserable hoor!!
    I have a few cattle to sell. Why don't you come my way and pay top money!!!!

Why don't you sell them to me for 60% of the value both you and I know what they're worth? Because I know you're not stupid enough to sling them away well below their true worth and I wouldn't insult you with a price that doesn't match the animal's value and the effort you put into them. Draw the similarities with any young lad (which I am) looking for work this summer (which I am not) :D

€50 isn't exactly top dollar. Just like when you go to sell your cattle you won't be looking for top dollar you just want what they're worth in today's market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why don't you sell them to me for 60% of the value both you and I know what they're worth? Because I know you're not stupid enough to sling them away well below their true worth and I wouldn't insult you with a price that doesn't match the animal's value and the effort you put into them. Draw the similarities with any young lad (which I am) looking for work this summer (which I am not) :D

€50 isn't exactly top dollar. Just like when you go to sell your cattle you won't be looking for top dollar you just want what they're worth in today's market.

I was just about to post something similar boom boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

did any of you read the thread by dodderangler. 23 year old 6'2" mechanic and previous experience on farm. looking for work till oct. hes headin for canada.
    Any farmer would love having a mechanic round the farm and at 23 should be more able to cope with heavier work. I asked what he was looking. His reply stated a little more than the dole.
    He wants work, cant get any and is at least realistic about what is achieveable farming. That fella should be getting at least minimum, but seems to know its not there.
    Why dont some of you lads that know about this big money sort him out with a job. So he can gather a bit of experience and have a few quid in his arse pocket when he hits Canada.
    How many of you that are knocking the low wages, working at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

I had a herd test and got a guy of 20 to help. I asked him to be there at 7, and he was. We finished at 3 after taking an hour for lunch with a mixed grill. I asked him how much and he sail 35e. I gave him 50 and feel it was not enough, but I did not want to be over decent. His parents were pleased and grateful and I know that kid will come to me any time I need him. I also draw in silage for farmers in the summer, so I see both sides.

Enjoy the rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

had a guy topping today from 10 tikl 4 non stop , gavehim €40, he was haapy with that- also got him his breakfast and lunch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

whelan1 wrote: »
    had a guy topping today from 10 tikl 4 non stop , gavehim €40, he was haapy with that- also got him his breakfast and lunch

Didn't you read the other thread? Good farmers don't top! -;)

Didn't you read the other thread? Good farmers don't top! -;)
    yup i know.. i am a failure:mad:

1chippy wrote: »
    did any of you read the thread by dodderangler. 23 year old 6'2" mechanic and previous experience on farm. looking for work till oct. hes headin for canada.
    Any farmer would love having a mechanic round the farm and at 23 should be more able to cope with heavier work. I asked what he was looking. His reply stated a little more than the dole.
    He wants work, cant get any and is at least realistic about what is achieveable farming. That fella should be getting at least minimum, but seems to know its not there.
    Why dont some of you lads that know about this big money sort him out with a job. So he can gather a bit of experience and have a few quid in his arse pocket when he hits Canada.
    How many of you that are knocking the low wages, working at the moment?
    . Due to start Monday week for the entire summer. So this proves that I'm not picky I just place a value on my time and happiness. I'd rather spend my time with friends, travelling or self-educating myself all summer rather than in slave labour for the summer. Farmers aren't happy younger people are finally realising they don't have to be worked to the bone to receive insulting hourly rates, in some cases half minimum wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

My God there really are some tight arse farmers around!

I work on a farm along with 20 other people and they took on a young lad for the summer. He's 16 and is working with me for the whole summer (my apprentice :D), he started last Monday and he is a lovely lad and a great little worker, he has no skills and everthing has to be shown to him but thats expected tbh. He would do anything you ask of him.

He gets paid €7 an hour, so 38 x €7 = €266. Not bad for a 16 year old.

My God there really are some tight arse farmers around!

I work on a farm along with 20 other people and they took on a young lad for the summer. He's 16 and is working with me for the whole summer (my apprentice :D), he started last Monday and he is a lovely lad and a great little worker, he has no skills and everthing has to be shown to him but thats expected tbh. He would do anything you ask of him.

He gets paid €7 an hour, so 38 x €7 = €266. Not bad for a 16 year old.

Yes and the owner of that farm probably pays little or no tax and gets education grants for his own children and he with 20 workers.

Yes and the owner of that farm probably pays little or no tax and gets education grants for his own children and he with 20 workers.
    Erm... of course the owner pays tax, why wouldn't he?

I pay enough tax on my wages like the other 19 employees do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

What are you on about ???

This thread has gone to pot . Its about a young fella getting a job for the summer to keep him out of the house . Reading this you would be of the impression that farmers operate their farms on slave labour .

I've worked for farmers when I was a young lad, and while they didnt burst my pockets with money I was delighted to get work and found them decent fellas .

I have two boys myself and while I hope they get to college and find good jobs with good pay ,conditions and job satifaction. I would be happy out to see them work hard and learn to manage on a tight budget for a few summers .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

As for this s##t about providing experience and improving employability - it's unskilled labour get real.

Perhaps in planet Axel7 it is sh1t as you quite eloquently put it, but in the real world gaining experience is vital, as is showing prospective employers a good work ethic.
    Whilst some jobs on a farm are unskilled, more are skilled. On the milking issue for example, would joe public just walk in off the street and milk?

Working a summer job also shows an employer initiative, a willingness to work, dedication to a job, maturity, and many other desirable traits.
    A hell of a lot more than sitting on ones arse will achieve.

Simply proclaming something sh1t does not make it so;).

out of interest would any of ye knowingly pay someone on the dole cash for working? A lad was telling me last night there are ex building guys on the dole looking for €50 cash a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

To those of you who scoff at having experience of working on farms, I believe you are so wrong.
    A good friend of mine a couple of years ago went for a really good paying job as an investment banker in london (guy already had a job where he started off 5 years previous on gross salary of 20k pa). Now there was something like 5 interviews done for this 1 job. And the bosses who were doing the interviews biggest concern was work ethic, not so much experience. And during one of the interviews they were asking him about his willingness to work all gods hours including bank holidays. To which his reply was that sure he was a farmers son and never knew what being off for a bank holiday was. The guys doing the interviews were your typical london banker types who would never of stepped on a farm unless it was for a driven shoot. But were impressed none the less and he got the job.
    So to those that think you should wait for a great job to turn up. I would ask you which type of person would you employ if you owned your own business. The person who is waiting for the right job but lacking in experience. Or the guy who has job already and has shown his willingness to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I spent years interviewing for maintenance teams in a large Multinational.
    We would specifically look for people who had summer jobs through school and chose them above those who haddnt. To me it demonstrated someone who was willing to get out there and stuck in and work rather than sit back and have things handed to them. It didn't matter what the job was but I always found farmers children much more practical and willing to get on with whatever needed to be done.

€266 for an unskilled 16 year old is too much money.

Farmers or anyone hiring lads on the dole for €50 a day are a disgrace and I'd love to see them up in court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

. Due to start Monday week for the entire summer. So this proves that I'm not picky I just place a value on my time and happiness. I'd rather spend my time with friends, travelling or self-educating myself all summer rather than in slave labour for the summer. Farmers aren't happy younger people are finally realising they don't have to be worked to the bone to receive insulting hourly rates, in some cases half minimum wages.
    eh how would you finance this travelling and self educating:rolleyes:does any one else get the impression that there is 2 different worlds here.anorther way of valuing someone how much work do they do,i think my fella does just less than half the work that i do in an hour

bbam wrote: »

Farmers or anyone hiring lads on the dole for €50 a day are a disgrace and I'd love to see them up in court.
    my thoughts exactly

keep going wrote: »
    eh how would you finance this travelling and self educating:rolleyes:
    do you not know money grows on trees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Whelan where can i get some of them trees? Have a half acre im making nothing on at the moment, would they suit a bit of ground running into a lake?
    I know of three crews of tradesmen signing on at the moment. one with seven lads with him. Part of the problem im seeing is the amount of people that will do anything to avoid vat. You cant blame them,but its a lot of the problem. Most people are standding arguing with me when i'm getting paid up. they have a handful of cash and a lot just wont pay it. Its costing me a lot as i still run it through as its long term i want to keep my finances right not just next week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Has anyone come across woofers?

http://www.wwoof.ie/howto/host

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

It seems that many of the farmers here send back half of their grants. getting big money from Europe and the state but wanting to pay young workers a pittance. They are trying to pretend that they are doing them a favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

It seems that many of the farmers here send back half of their grants. getting big money from Europe and the state but wanting to pay young workers a pittance. They are trying to pretend that they are doing them a favour.

Have you ever worked on a farm or any other small business?
    Have you ever employed anybody?

And you had the cheek to call me a troll

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Have you ever worked on a farm or any other small business?
    Have you ever employed anybody?

And you had the cheek to call me a troll

Where you work has nothing to do with it at all. Its mean to try and give a young lad a pittance while pretending that you are educating him while expecting him to do your work for feck all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Vandy West

Where you work has nothing to do with it at all. Its mean to try and give a young lad a pittance while pretending that you are educating him while expecting him to do your work for feck all.

From my point of view you are half right. The point myself and others have made is that the minimum wage is too high so you are right that "where you work has nothing to do with it at all". The point is what is "feck all"? The argument on what min wage should be will continue forever, so it's a bit pointless to argue it here.

Maybe if you cut down on the crisps you wouldnt need such a high wage:D:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

Right i work by myself for myself and things are not exactly rosy on the money front. What should i do the next time a young lad walks into my yard asking can he get some work during the summer. Should I

A: Tell him no sorry I am not going to create a job for you because there is not a job available and although I am sometimes really busy I have not got enough money to pay you a decent wage. And stay working my arse off everyday on my own while he sits at home on his rear end doing nothing and not improving his chances of getting a better job down the line

B: Give him some work make sure its varied treat him well by feeding him well and if there is a farm walk or show on bring him along and some money at the end of the week. Now how much money is the big question. But remember mr. tatyo lover every penny I give him is money out of my families income unless what he does can make me more money or save me money that i would of spent on hiring in contractors.

I suspect your answer is A.

st1979 wrote: »
    Right i work by myself for myself and things are not exactly rosy on the money front. What should i do the next time a young lad walks into my yard asking can he get some work during the summer. Should I

A: Tell him no sorry I am not going to create a job for you because there is not a job available and although I am sometimes really busy I have not got enough money to pay you a decent wage. And stay working my arse off everyday on my own while he sits at home on his rear end doing nothing and not improving his chances of getting a better job down the line

B: Give him some work make sure its varied treat him well by feeding him well and if there is a farm walk or show on bring him along and some money at the end of the week. Now how much money is the big question. But remember mr. tatyo lover every penny I give him is money out of my families income unless what he does can make me more money or save me money that i would of spent on hiring in contractors.

I suspect your answer is A.
    Tell him this. Simple really.

They may as well learn now that there is no money in farming ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

there's always one

ST1979,
    Why do farmers always play the "poor mouth" card all the time ?
    I'm sure you get grants unlike the poor workers. I don't know too many poor farmers if any at all. They all drive good cars and attend plenty of shows and race meetings so things can't be that bad. Farmers should pay their workers at least minimum rate.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0523/1224316553912.html

• Advertisement

ST1979,
    I'm sure you get grants unlike the poor workers. I don't know too many poor farmers if any at all. They all drive good cars and attend plenty of shows and race meetings so things can't be that bad. Farmers should pay their workers at least minimum rate.

Would you give a guy who puts the clay on a shovel with his hands before shovelling it into the wheelbarrow the minimum wage?

Good loser wrote: »
    Would you give a guy who puts the clay on a shovel with his hands before shovelling it into the wheelbarrow the minimum wage?

Ha ha I would find it hard to believe that now in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

Thankfully i have never worked on a farm.I can't believe people honestly think €25 for 6 hours work is fair and fcek off with the spuds crap.I was making €500 a week when i was 14 years of age ffs so i guess it's true what they say about farmers they really are as tight as a ducks ar$e.

Ha ha I would find it hard to believe that now in fairness.

But you say everyone should get the minimum wage.

If a guy wants to work for less (he may not even know what the minimum wage is!) what's wrong with letting him?

But you say everyone should get the minimum wage.

If a guy wants to work for less (he may not even know what the minimum wage is!) what's wrong with letting him?

Its morally wrong to take advantage of some young lad. He should be paid no less than minimum wage. Even a wee lad starting in a shop gets it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SoJoMo

The only financial responsibility of every business is to stay in business. this protects the owners\shareholders, employees and creditor. This is why no business will pay an employee more than it can afford and what a lot will try to pay the least that they can get away with.
    It is up to the potential employee to decide if whats on offer is acceptable to him\her.

So there are only two decisions to be made:
    One by the farmer - what can I afford to offer?
    and by the worker - is whats on offer enough for me?

If the farmer is going to offer what some people here would call a decent\fair wage that is above what the farmer can afford then he should do so to a guy with a family\mortgage\financial responsibilities and not to a kid living at home (unless the kid has financial responsibilities at home etc)

Its morally wrong to take advantage of some young lad. He should be paid no less than minimum wage. Even a wee lad starting in a shop gets it.

No it's not. Both parties are agreeing to the contract. It may be illegal but no more illegal than you not paying the household charge!

What about the shoveller question? Be honest and answer it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

mixed up wrote: »
    Thankfully i have never worked on a farm.I can't believe people honestly think €25 for 6 hours work is fair and fcek off with the spuds crap.I was making €500 a week when i was 14 years of age ffs so i guess it's true what they say about farmers they really are as tight as a ducks ar$e.

What did you work at when you were 14 to get 500 a week... Sellin your body? I did thi kind of work when I was younger and now have an office job, If I won the euromillions this week I'd still have my kids do jobs like this to learn the value of a hard earned euro. The minimum wage that's being quoted is for those over 18, iirc the minimum for those over 16 but under 18 is €5.50 there can also be deductions taken from this if lunch is provided gratis (mcdonalds would be a case in point of this)

No it's not. Both parties are agreeing to the contract. It may be illegal but no more illegal than you not paying the household charge!

What about the shoveller question? Be honest and answer it.

The shoveller question ?? Thought you were joking.
    If someone really did that then i'd question their ability to do any kind of work and wouldn't hire them.
    Is it really true though ? If so its priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SoJoMo

ST1979,
    Farmers should pay their workers at least minimum rate.
    mixed up wrote: »
    I was making €500 a week when i was 14 years of age.

The Irish Times article says farmers are getting "on average!" €25000 which is around €500 per week.
    So you are saying that you earned (how many years ago?) the same as a 14 year old as what farmers are getting on average now!!
    Thats fecked up!

Plus from the same article "cattle farmers would have had an average loss of €2,000 last year without subsidies."
    And thats when there has been increasing prices for cattle and they are going to go back down in the short to medium term!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

SoJoMo wrote: »
    The Irish Times article says farmers are getting "on average!" €25000 which is around €500 per week.
    So you are saying that you earned (how many years ago?) the same as a 14 year old as what farmers are getting on average now!!
    Thats fecked up!

Plus from the same article "cattle farmers would have had an average loss of €2,000 last year without subsidies."
    And thats when there has been increasing prices for cattle and they are going to go back down in the short to medium term!

Is that average the average income of full-time farmers only or is it brought down by all the people who have a full-time job which is nothing to do with farming and have 10 cattle as a hobby?

The shoveller question ?? Thought you were joking.
    If someone really did that then i'd question their ability to do any kind of work and wouldn't hire them.
    Is it really true though ? If so its priceless.

Yes it's true. He was about 19. A beginner.

Is that average the average income of full-time farmers only or is it brought down by all the people who have a full-time job which is nothing to do with farming and have 10 cattle as a hobby?

What is a full-time farmer?, if the farmers spouse has a part time job are they full time farmers?? During the silage season if the farmer is helping a contractor out and getting paid are they full or part time farmers?? What about lads working at the mart?? Many, many farms have sources of income from off farm without having "jobs".

The only real "Full Time" farm families are those whose sole and only income comes from their farm.. I'd say if the chips were down this would leave very few "Full Time" farmers at all in the country compared to the number of farmers..

Just for accuracy that is average per farm not per farmer. So if the spouse or any children (or anyone else) works on the place their remuneration must come from the €25,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

I was working for the FRS when i was 17 and what i was getting paid makes me cry thinking back on it now.

Sitting behind a bastarding computer for half the money and twice the hours!

• Advertisement
Advertisement