Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do i pay a young lad for farm help?

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

You are codding us again.

1. I honestly know loads of farmers who drive mercs.
    2. Farmers incomes and grants are very good and seem to be improving every year.
    http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1014307.shtml
    3. farmers children are among the highest Education grant receivers in the country. 3rd level.

Wow that's some propaganda piece you linked to there, if thats were your reading your agri knowledge from then no wonder your writing what you are.

1. on the mercs business - here is a thread discussing farmers cars that was on here a few months ago - no mercs on there as far as i know - so until you come up with some other "facts" about farmers owning mercs i'm going to consider you wrong on that point - but feel free to prove otherwise
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78368623

2. You seem more than happy for teachers to earn very good wages for working 35 weeks per year but then say that farmers are well paid while completly ignoring the fact that they have to work all year, have hundreds of thousands or millions of EUR invested in land machinery and cattle. Yet the average farm wage (even according to that rubbish you linked to) is significantly lower than the average teachers salary. Do you think the average teacher salary should be higher than the average farm income (bearing in mind what i just wrote about investment and working hours etc)

3. Lets see some evidence to back your 3rd level grant claim up - it may well be true. But please no more biased propaganda like in your last message

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Wow that's some propaganda piece you linked to there, if thats were your reading your agri knowledge from then no wonder your writing what you are.

1. on the mercs business - here is a thread discussing farmers cars that was on here a few months ago - no mercs on there as far as i know - so until you come up with some other "facts" about farmers owning mercs i'm going to consider you wrong on that point - but feel free to prove otherwise
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78368623

2. You seem more than happy for teachers to earn very good wages for working 35 weeks per year but then say that farmers are well paid while completly ignoring the fact that they have to work all year, have hundreds of thousands or millions of EUR invested in land machinery and cattle. Yet the average farm wage (even according to that rubbish you linked to) is significantly lower than the average teachers salary. Do you think the average teacher salary should be higher than the average farm income (bearing in mind what i just wrote about investment and working hours etc)

3. Lets see some evidence to back your 3rd level grant claim up - it may well be true. But please no more biased propaganda like in your last message

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1220/farming.html
    Teachers wages have dropped apparently just like most workers but -
    I'll get you more later, i'm watching the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Talking and asking about paying a lad. Do you price your accountant or solicitor or doctor? Just get him and pay him, end of. Lads could straighten nails all day to save a penny, and go on to get rode bare back and dry from a merchant or in the mart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

This has become a pointless thread.
    Arguing points with people who know nothing about farming, have made their mind up and have no interest in hearing the truth.

If people want to believe farmers are coining it, fine. If ignorant idiots want to believe Farmers are either driving merc's, dodging the tax man, screwing the 3rd level grant system or taking advantage of young lads by paying them in pasetos then fine, leave them wallow in their ignorance.
    Farming was ignored and sniggered at during the boom. But now when the country is on its knees it's farming that is being held up as a way to recover the country and generate revenue and jobs for the country. It's just a pity that the farmers aren't recognised as the hard working and honest people that they are.
    Feck the begrudgers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 axel7

bbam wrote: »
    This has become a pointless thread.
    Arguing points with people who know nothing about farming, have made their mind up and have no interest in hearing the truth.

If people want to believe farmers are coining it, fine. If ignorant idiots want to believe Farmers are either driving merc's, dodging the tax man, screwing the 3rd level grant system or taking advantage of young lads by paying them in pasetos then fine, leave them wallow in their ignorance.
    Farming was ignored and sniggered at during the boom. But now when the country is on its knees it's farming that is being held up as a way to recover the country and generate revenue and jobs for the country. It's just a pity that the farmers aren't recognised as the hard working and honest people that they are.
    Feck the begrudgers :)

Farmers are not driving around in mercs, this must be a troll at this stage.
    They don't participate in Tax evasion but rather tax avoidance
    They alter their accounts to decrease their tax bill in a legitimate manner. They are the highest recipients of third level assistance across any other sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

axel7 wrote: »
    Farmers are not driving around in mercs, this must be a troll at this stage.
    They don't participate in Tax evasion but rather tax avoidance
    They alter their accounts to decrease their tax bill in a legitimate manner. They are the highest recipients of third level assistance across any other sector.
    I glad there is a bit of common sense returning to this thread. Could you proviode a link to the Third level grant for farmers sons and daughters tho:), i'm not doubting the fact but would like see the figures

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

axel7 wrote: »
    Agreed but I'm not looking for big wages €250 a week won't make anyone up. If a farmer doesn't have the money for minimum wage don't look to take them on. In my opinion big dairy farmers are the only ones with enough work to take on anyone (especially during the summer) and they're the only ones that are making enough to justify it financially too.

You're correct about the big dairy farmers - only they would have the steady work and ability to pay for regular employees.

I don't agree with your views on (the frankly ridiculous) minimum wage. If employer and employee agree on (any) terms then presumably both are happy with the bargain so why not go for it. The law can be catered for with creativity. The opportunity cost for most young lads looking for a Summer job is nil - most would be delighted with €30 per day. Most of them won't do a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Perhaps this chart tells a story! Look where Ireland is in the youth unemployment league, at a time where we have the second highest min wage in Europe!!!!! We are living in dreamland, utter dreamland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

bbam wrote: »
    Feckin Accountants, always gettin the best deals ;)
    Wonder would he do much sums for a bottle of pop and an ice cream. :)]

My nephew was 6 :rolleyes:. Hardy little fecker thou, i saw him moving full bags of cement last week.

When i was 16 i use to work for a farmer for £80 a week. (12 years ago). I be at covering pits, cattle sheep and lawns, fencing topping etc.

Following year got a good bit more but more responsibility. I stayed for 5 summers with them when in secondary and 3rd level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

'Trainees' don't have to be paid minimum wage AFAIK. It could be the same too for seasonal workers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

most lads wount know how to work to keep themselves warm and still want top dollar.

As the saying goes , "fair pay for a far days work"

Advertisement