Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't Studied for JC, What topics can not be learned?

Options
  • 31-05-2012 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Like: Eg In business you do not have to do one of the accounts questions, So that's one topic unneeded.

So is there any for:
    1. Maths
    2. Science
    3. History
    4. Business
    5. Geography
    6. Music

Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

No unfortunately. But you can scan the past exam papers and see if there is a pattern ie. in history, the Q5 topics come up every 4-5 years. Lastbyear it was Industrail England and Rural Ireland, so don't study these as much as The Reformation, which last came up in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

You may be able to get past some topics in Geography as there's a lot of choice on the paper. Scan through the papers and you'll get an idea. With history the Mumty's right... The rest you pretty much have to do it all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    You may be able to get past some topics in Geography as there's a lot of choice on the paper.

Meh not really. You don't get any choice in the short questions so thorough knowledge is needed. In section 2 you pick 3 out of 5 questions, so yes there is a bit of choice but it's negligible tbh, you still have to cover everything. Though a map/photograph question comes up every year. I remember saying adamantly through all of 3rd year that I wouldn't do the maps question, ended up doing it as an extra question on the day. That might have gotten me the A, who knows? But yes, anyway, from sitting Geography last year it was pretty clear to me that you needed to have knowledge of everything really, there was always a part of every question that was a bit different...sorry to dishearten you OP :p Anyway, no way of predicting! I'd recommend looking over maps and photographs anyway, can't really be of help otherwise.

There's no choice on the maths and science papers, you have to do every question. Business - if you know your accounts, it takes up a rather sizeable amount. Otherwise, a budget and business documents come up every single year. I don't know anything about music...As for History, you are given a fair bit of choice. I'm not going to attempt to predict anything but in the case of Section 6, which is worth a third of the paper, Irish History in the 20th Century and International Relations in the 20th Century come up every single year. Both are large topics but well worth covering well in my opinion.

Best of luck. Also, just realised I didn't really tell you what not to study, 0 marks for failing to answer the question asked....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Junokevv

In business choose between the Trading Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet and the General Jornal/Ledgers etc. question to learn for Paper II. Learn the budget (especially actual/difference one), club accounts, economics and consumer for PI. If you're lucky that would get you by. Paper II learn documents and my teacher says ratios and reports are coming up.

History; focus on either the European or Irish side of things since there's so little time left. And if it's covered well in your book, do social change in 20th Century Ireland since it's pretty much definite.

Science you need to know basically everything.

Maths; I do Project Maths, so it could be different for the old paper, but I'm guessing that you need to have a good knowledge of everything.

Geography: Do the Maps question, do the Geographical Mix question (as it goes into less detail on each topic) and look through the papers and focus on the things that seem most likely to come up for the other question.(eg. Volcanoes etc. and populations)

I don't do music.

None of this is ideal and it's not really definitively covering the courses at all but since you have so little time it's the best I can do. Don't rely on any predictions etc. and just try and get as much work done as possible. What I said above may help you in focusing on certain areas but don't just study you'll have to do a good bit more then that.

I don't do music.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I've seen the actual and difference budget come up a load, so know the other budget just in case.

Don't font that the Consumer Information Act 1978 has been replaced by the Consumer Protection Ac 2007 which "establishes the national consumer agency on a statory basis and updates and modernises consumer law". We were given a handout of the curriculum from our teacher if you don't have it I can scan it for you :)

As for history, know the Renaissance, a cold war crisis, ireland in 20th century, an explorer and a reformer and you will have a lot of it covered. For short questions, they keep repeating so look back through the past papers, and remember you have to only get 10 out of 20 right to get full marks in that.

Don't do music.

Maths, know the theorems and I can't predict that really..

• Advertisement
Advertisement