Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

URGENT HELP REQUIRED - test in 5 weeks - beginner

• 31-05-2012 11:11am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My bike test is coming up in 5 weeks time. I haven't driven a motorbike in over 10 years.

I can drive my friends bike as I am insured on it for the year under his policy.

In a nutshell I have to learn to drive and pass the test within 5 weeks.

So my questions are as follows, hope someone can answer them for me :

1) Is there a question test / practical or is it just a physical driving test or do I have to sit down and answer theory test questions again ??

2) Are there any video's on the net ( I couldn't find any ) of Irish Motorbike tests, what to look out for, what they test you on etc ??

3) What do you think the odds of someone passing this test are who only has 5 weeks to learn ??

4) I will get 1 pre test and maybe 1 lesson, this should help as it will point out anything I'm doing wrong, is this correct ??

5) The test is in tallaght, Dublin. Does anyone know the route the test takes so that maybe I can drive it before hand to learn ??

6) What are the things to learn in the next 5 weeks for the test, so far I've heard I have to do a full turn / U turn / Tight turns, emergency stop and also have to drive at 3mph beside the instructor as he walks ( walking pace )
    is there anything else I'm missing here ?

7) I plan on doing the test on a bros which is restricted properly for my license.

I got my provisional / learners permit in Oct 2010 meaning I don't need the IBT course, if you got the license after Dec 2010 you need 10 lessons.

I would really really like to pass my test in 5 weeks as if I don't pass it I think i will be forced to do the IBT course unless I can just renew my license and it will still be fine as I will still have had my first provisional before Dec 2010 but not 100% on this.

Anyway your thoughts and answers to the above questions will be much appreciated

Also anyone that has just recently passed their tests any info you can supply at all to me here will again be much appreciated.

I've heard passing the bike test is much harder than a car test

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

firstly don't worry about it, i passed my test with only about 25hrs experience on a bike, and i passed with out a bother, but i had without doubt the best instructor in the country..

get a pre test done somewhere, i am sure someone will give a name for someone good in dublin, then just concentrate on the errors that they tell you and you will be grand....at the end of the day you are there to prove you can drive safely, the testers are usually good guys who want to pass people...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PatKelly91

Hi

I done my bike test in Tallaght a little more than two years ago! What I had to do was as follows:

1) U-turn in a narrow road. Starting at rest, turning and stopping again.

2) Control bike at slow speed. The tester parked his car, got out and walked along a footpath for about 100metres and I had to drive beside him with two feet up and keeping the bike under control (no harsh braking or wobbles, etc.)

3) Emergency stop. The tester made me stop my bike and he drove ahead about 500-600 meters and stopped his car. He got out and instructed me to accelerate to the speed limit (60kmh on that road) and on his command bring the bike down to a speed below 10kmh without stopping. (no skidding etc, important to use engine braking!)

4) Overtake a stopped vehicle. Again he parked his car and got out about 500metres ahead of me. I drove up behind him indicated as necessary overtook his car leaving enough room that the door could open and moved back in, using indicators all the time!

This was all part of the on the road part of the exam. Before leaving the test centre there were some rules of the road and road sign questions and a quick walk around the bike. He asked how I would check for things like condition of the tyres and chain and brake fluid level. He also made me push the bike about 15 feet and then move it back again. I presume this was to be sure I was capable of handling the weight of the bike.

I had only one mark on my sheet when I got back to test centre and it was related to the theory part of the exam not the driving. I would suggest you have the bike as clean as possible on the day, wear full protective clothing (including a high vis with L-plates on them) no matter what the weather is like and be sure to have all your documents with you. He really scrutinised my insurance and restriction cert, probably because I was 18 and driving a Suzuki GS500. Another tip is to be sure to do "lifesavers" before you change lane, turn a corner, overtake etc... My uncle almost had a bump with a cyclist undertaking him while he was turning left during his test and the tester marked him down for observation.

I will upload a map of the route I took when I done my test as soon as I figure out how to! I'm new to this! If you have been driving bikes for a while you should have no problem in passing the test as long as you are a careful and aware driver. The difficulty compared to the car test is a personal opinion imho... I failed the car test first time round but flew through the bike test but then I have been driving bikes since I'm 7 years old so I definitely have more experience on two wheels than on four! It all depends on you!

I think I answered all of your questions there!! Anythin else I can help ya with give me a shout!

Here is the route I went on!

Started and Finished at G

U turn at B

Control slow speed at C

Emergency stop at D

Overtake at F

Hope this helps! Good luck with the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

eurofoxy
    patkelly91

thank you very much for your input / advice, it is greatly appreciated.

PatKelly91 - thanks for the advice, it is what I was looking / hoping for.
    I'll practise everything you have mentioned above.

If you could upload the route that would be great but I know it's alot of hastle to probably do this so if you can't no worries.

I'll be practising this over the next few days anyway, I'll make sure the bike is clean. I will be using my friends protective clothing, head to toe

I'll have to buy a high vis jacket with the L plate signs

I'm hoping I can pass this since I have no bad habits on a bike since I haven't drove one in over 10 years or at least that's what I'll hope.

May I ask how many theory questions you were asked before you even got on the bike. In the theory test it's 40.

Is this just an aural exam or is it written and how many questions are there would you know by any chance ?

thanks again all...

PatKelly91 wrote: »
    Here is the route I went on!

Started and Finished at G

U turn at B

Control slow speed at C

Emergency stop at D

Overtake at F

Hope this helps! Good luck with the test

PatKelly91 - this is brilliant - thanks so much for this :)

• Advertisement

The theory was just a quick aural exam he asked me what road signs meant, about 5 of them and a few questions about rules of the road, as far as I can remember he asked about roundabouts and motorway driving! Lasted less than 5 mins. You can get the high viz vest with L-plates in most bike shops now! I uploaded the route above its just from google maps hope you can make it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Get a couple of lessons.

Your location says Sligo so I'd recommend Brendan Kelly. PM me if you want his phone number.

Its a couple of years since I did the test now but I did it in Sligo so if you're really not interested in getting lessons I could show you the route I did for mine.

PatKelly91 wrote: »
    The theory was just a quick aural exam he asked me what road signs meant, about 5 of them and a few questions about rules of the road, as far as I can remember he asked about roundabouts and motorway driving! Lasted less than 5 mins. You can get the high viz vest with L-plates in most bike shops now! I uploaded the route above its just from google maps hope you can make it out!

thnx again for the info above Pat, most appreciated.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Get a couple of lessons.

Your location says Sligo so I'd recommend Brendan Kelly. PM me if you want his phone number.

Its a couple of years since I did the test now but I did it in Sligo so if you're really not interested in getting lessons I could show you the route I did for mine.

Thnx AgileMyth, although I'm from Sligo I'm doing my test in tallaght and not Sligo, thankfully PatKelly has given me the tallaght route which I will drive on a few times to become familiar with.

think I'll deffo get 1 lesson, maybe 2 and do 1 pre-test to see where I'm failing just in case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Yeah I missed that bit somehow! Best of luck anyway, 5 weeks is plenty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

My advice:
    1. Get your friends bike, get used to it.
    2. Read this: http://www.motorbiketraining.net/pdfs/PRE%20TEST%202010.pdf (which will also tell you to study the rules of the road starting page 178 on http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Rules_of_the_road.pdf)
    3. Get a pre-test, he'll tell you all you need to know in terms of the route.

thnx RatRace - appreciate the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    I got my provisional / learners permit in Oct 2010 meaning I don't need the IBT course, if you got the license after Dec 2010 you need 10 lessons.

I would really really like to pass my test in 5 weeks as if I don't pass it I think i will be forced to do the IBT course unless I can just renew my license and it will still be fine as I will still have had my first provisional before Dec 2010 but not 100% on this.

Once you have your learner permit you are exempt from any subsequent changes unless specifically stated. This means you will not have to do the IBT even if you fail.

BTW, you might get asked questions about Bike Maintenance (like tyre depth and C&S questions).

On the emergency stop and swerve, don't forget to check your mirrors before commencing the move. Also, life saver for the swerve!

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Once you have your learner permit you are exempt from any subsequent changes unless specifically stated. This means you will not have to do the IBT even if you fail.

BTW, you might get asked questions about Bike Maintenance (like tyre depth and C&S questions).

On the emergency stop and swerve, don't forget to check your mirrors before commencing the move. Also, life saver for the swerve!

Hi RosieJoe - great, thnx for the info.

In the highlighted bit above my license was issued on the 10 Oct 2010
    After Dec 2010 you need to have the IBT course, however since I got the license before this date I don't require the IBT course.

My license will expire on 10 Oct 2012 - this year. I am worried that if I fail my test and my license expires I will need a second provisional.

The second provisional will have a newer date of issue after Dec 2010 meaning I will have to do the IBT course if I fail or get my second provisional.

Can anyone clarify this, hope I've explained it correctly ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Here's a link to magireland on the Process:

Getting on the Road

Specific to you is:
    Step 3: Initial Basic Training (I.B.T.)
    From Dec. 6th 2010:

All new first time learner permit holders for motorcycles are required to undertake Initial Basic Training (IBT) with an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI).

Since you already have a learner permit pre Dec 2010 you will never have to do the IBT. Even if you need to get your 2nd permit, you will not be a new first time learner permit holder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Watch out for stop signs in the Belgard heights housing estate.
    Did my test on that route last September most turns are yield turns but there was one shabby stop sign.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Here's a link to magireland on the Process:

Getting on the Road

Specific to you is:

Since you already have a learner permit pre Dec 2010 you will never have to do the IBT. Even if you need to get your 2nd permit, you will not be a new first time learner permit holder.

Hi RosieJoe,

Great - that was what I was hoping for... thanks once again

defike wrote: »
    Watch out for stop signs in the Belgard heights housing estate.
    Did my test on that route last September most turns are yield turns but there was one shabby stop sign.

Hi Defike,

I'm going to drive this route over the next few weeks to become familiar with it. I'll deffo watch out for the stops signs at belgard heights - thnx for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Stiffler2 wrote: »

The second provisional will have a newer date of issue after Dec 2010 meaning I will have to do the IBT course if I fail or get my second provisional.

Can anyone clarify this, hope I've explained it correctly ?

I thought the same about my car licence but when i went into the motor tax office to add the A licence she said as my first licence was issued before that if i got a second licence it would'nt matter i would'nt have to do the lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kajo

Stiffler2 how did you get on? a step by step guide of your test would be a great help.
    Did you do a pre test? if so who did you use and how did you find it? worth the cost?

• Advertisement

kajo wrote: »
    Stiffler2 how did you get on? a step by step guide of your test would be a great help.
    Did you do a pre test? if so who did you use and how did you find it? worth the cost?

Hey Kajo - Sorry for not replying to your post earlier.
    I haven't done the bike test yet although it's in 2 days time on Wednesday morning.

All fingers are crossed now at this stage.

I have done everything everyone has suggested I do on this thread. The only think I didn't do was a pre-test or lessons.

I would have really liked to have gotten 1 or 2 but I don't have the money & can't afford it right now which is unfortunate as it would have shown where I am weak.

I've been out of my mates bike for the last couple of weeks now and am fully confident in terms of riding ( for the test )

I'll re-post my results come Wednesday evening and let you all know how I got on.

One thing I am a little concerned about actually - maybe some bikers here could help although it's too late to fix now is that my friends bike has duct tape holding his mirror and indicators on, not that they have snapped off completely just that the mirrors move around so had to be taped.

His indicators are the same. This has greatly concerned me however there is no NCT for the bike so hopefully I can't be failed on that and like I said they do actually work.

I didn't have the money to order new ones + it's not my bike. I was lucky my friend was good enought to allow me to get insured on it and lend it to me so I could hardly give out to him about his mirrors / indicators.

Anyway like I said it's too late now to fix, the rest of the bike is in good working nick and is sparkly clean for the test.

Any bikers here that can tell me how the tester will react to duct taped mirrors and indicators ?

tell me good news please...

Well my bike test was today @ 8:15am
    got up at 6:30am.
    drove car to friends house
    drove his bike to tallaght, got there at 7:55am
    Friend had to take luas into work

I was the first one there in the waiting room.
    A guy walks in :

"Sorry, the bike instructor rang in sick today, you won't be able to do your test, I'm sorry, we will have to re-arrange it with you"

"What ?, you only have 1 bike instructor per test building" ?
    " I have been waiting on this for over 8 months, this is unacceptable, I assume I will get a free pass then ?"

"No Sir, I am afraid that is not how it works".

*Walks out*

:mad:

I'll try to keep my fury inside in case the instructor reads this forum :rolleyes: .......
    He now owes me a favour as far as I'm concerned......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Not good.

A few thing:
    I hope people understand what an effect it has on other people when they ring in sick;
    Very poor of them to only have one tester for bikes;
    They need to sort you with a test date ASAP.

What can I say, can't say I'm surprised tbh.
    That's just how this country is run really, isn't it .....

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

You were waiting 8 months?

How long until your next test date?

I would frown at the test centre for not calling you ahead of time, the instructor could have had a legit emergency (it happens). Not professional, but hey.. expecting common sense from any government run agency seems to be impossible these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

That sucks man. Really sorry to hear it.

you were waiting 8 months? That seems ridiculous. I just passed my test in the Tallaght centre earlier this month having applied for the test in March! I was only waiting 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Pedro K wrote: »

you were waiting 8 months? That seems ridiculous. I just passed my test in the Tallaght centre earlier this month having applied for the test in March! I was only waiting 3 months.

Could be the six months of the learners permit, and then a few months wait for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

P.C. wrote: »
    Pedro K wrote: »

Could be the six months of the learners permit, and then a few months wait for the test.
    Ah yes. Good shout. Forgot about that.

Bike test has been re-arranged for early August.

They did offer me a test in "Clondalkin" the following week but as I have driven & learned the tallaght route I told them to F-off and give me the tallaght route as I had learnt that one.

so early August, 1 month - ish away

I have a feeling I'm going to go into this angry and fail v's being there previously fully ready to go and passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

That's horrible, hope you get sorted

Advertisement