Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aul biddies manning the polling stations....

• 31-05-2012 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Was just down at the local polling station. The usual 2 auld gossipmongers were manning the station and as I collected my ballot paper and went into the booth to vote, a loud conversation began between said biddies about who I was, who my family are, where I work etc etc. This continued for the 2-3 minutes I stood at the booth, reading the idle graffiti and adding my own to the wooden bench. Only to stop abruptly as I emerged from behind said bench. is it just me or do these wans only put themselves forward for this so that they can read the whole parish to their hearts content???

Ps- a 3 foot piece of plywood is NOT soundproof!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Easy money and good gossip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

What else are they meant to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Makes a good bludgeoning weapon though...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭helen1

Presume they get paid handy job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

So instead of 'manning' they're Granning? <chuckles>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Was just down at the local polling station. The usual 2 auld gossipmongers were manning the station and as I collected my ballot paper and went into the booth to vote, a loud conversation began between said biddies about who I was, who my family are, where I work etc etc. This continued for the 2-3 minutes I stood at the booth, reading the idle graffiti and adding my own to the wooden bench. Only to stop abruptly as I emerged from behind said bench. is it just me or do these wans only put themselves forward for this so that they can read the whole parish to their hearts content???

They've fúck all else to be doing with themselves I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Abi wrote: »
    They've fúck all else to be doing with themselves I'd imagine.

They could wait until people had left the building until they commence their dissection of the persons life! Or at least try and be a bit more subtle about it. It's their belief that they can't be heard that makes me laugh :pac: Tactless aul witches! I was half tempted to start talking really loudly about them to myself, that would've given em something to think about....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Postmen are the worst for gossiping about people, just saying mrspostman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Their children probably work for the local council and their cousins man the doors. Cushy number for low-grade members of the Irish Nepotism Club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

cool story bro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

My mum is a poll clerk. She is a woman of integrity thouhg, and will at least wait till you are out the door before talking about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Yelling 'I can hear you!' would have shut them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Sure what else can they do sitting there for 15 hours. I doubt they'd be handy at the old Nintendo DS Lite.

I Poll Clerked on several occasions when it was a 10 hours day and was bored to tears. I don't know why the Government think that if people don't vote within a 10 or 12 hour window, that 15 will make a difference.

When I went in at around 8am this morning there were two young guys running the polling station and looked as if they hated each other. The first guy called out my number and the second guy was looking through the register to cross me off but said nothing. First fella calls out the number again and second fella snipes back "I heard ya the first time". I gonna to listen to the news every hour on the hours to see if there's any stories about two fellas kicking the shíte outta of each other at a polling booth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

hunter10 wrote: »
    maybe they were gay lovers

Coulda been. Not really the time or the place to make that inquiry off them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

What a petty moan you are. It's important to know the people in your community. Bring them a flask of tea and some Mr. Kipling’s and have a chat!
    Or are you one of those faceless neighbors that prefers to blithely strolls by as bills and flyers begin to form a small mountain inside your elderly neighbors front door, cause, you know, you don't like to get 'involved'..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Remember what Oscar Wilde said (besides "Ah you'll get another finger in there easy!!" :p):

"There's only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

You must be an awful hoor OP :D

hunter10 wrote: »
    did they have an old people smell??

mmmm smelly old women

Mmmmmmm mothballs, p1ss and that indescribable odour of sweat congealing and turning yellow between rolls of fat....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Mmmmmmm mothballs, p1ss and that indescribable odour of sweat congealing and turning yellow between rolls of fat....

You don't sound like a Mrs to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

conorhal wrote: »
    What a petty moan you are. It's important to know the people in your community. Bring them a flask of tea and some Mr. Kipling’s and have a chat!
    Or are you one of those faceless neighbors that prefers to blithely strolls by as bills and flyers begin to form a small mountain inside your elderly neighbors front door, cause, you know, you don't like to get 'involved'..
    Ah there's a difference between getting involved in your community and just being an auld nosey-hole...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Dudess wrote: »
    Ah there's a difference between getting involved in your community and just being an auld nosey-hole...

It didn't sound particularly nosey to me, one of the local shops I go to is run by an old dear that's prone to pronouncements like, 'Oh, Julie Smith's young wan was just in here, all grown up she is now, and a lawyer no less!" (for the record, I've no idea who Julie Smith is, but she does seem particularly pleased for her). That's just how they pass the time, that and the death notices, but those sorts also tend to be the back bone of many a community, the people that deliver the meals on wheels and know that Mr. Jones hasn’t been well lately and perhaps somebody should check up on him. I much prefer people like those than condescending ‘silo dwellers’ that would do a double take if you said so much as 'good morning' to them walking out your door (I’ve had a few of those kind of neighbors too, wierdos!) There's just something sneering about the OP's post that seems unplesent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭wallpaper12

They get paid an extortionate amount of money for this like a couple of hundred for the day, think my friend got paid 800 the last time she did it.
    Shows what a joke this country still is, minimum wage should be enough to sit on your ass all day crossing off peoples names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

They get paid an extortionate amount of money for this like a couple of hundred for the day, think my friend got paid 800 the last time she did it.
    Shows what a joke this country still is, minimum wage should be enough to sit on your ass all day crossing off peoples names.

The normal polling clerk get's nowhere near 800 euro for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Move out of the bog to a city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

think my friend got paid 800 the last time she did it.

Your friend was codding you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

400.00 for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

My mum does it, she gets 700. is 700 near 800?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

My mum does it, she gets 700. is 700 near 800?

Your mum if this is accurate is not a normal front line polling clerk.

There are different grades / supervisors / management etc but the normal polling clerk basic rate is nowhere near 800 or 700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

instead of paying 'poor' teachers overtime to man the polling station perhaps they should give the unemployed a few hours work instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Your mum if this is accurate is not a normal front line polling clerk.

There are different grades / supervisors / management etc but the normal polling clerk basic rate is nowhere near 800 or 700

You could be right, i seem to recall her mentioning 400/500 when she first started - a ridiculous amount of cash either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Great story op, I wonder who'll play you in the movie? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭wallpaper12

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Your friend was codding you

You would think so wouldnt you but sadly its true. It mightnt have been exactly 800 but it wasnt far off. As another poster said his mother is paid 700, absolute joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I don't understand OPs problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

On your way out tell them about the village bike and how she slutty she is. Then throw in the name of their daughter/grandaughter/niece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

2-3 minutes I stood at the booth, reading the idle graffiti and adding my own to the wooden bench. Only to stop abruptly as I emerged from behind said bench.
    You should have spent the time thinking of things to do. e.g. pretend to phone someone in the booth and loudly proclaim "those 2 miserable auld biddies are gossiping about me again, *pretend to hear a response* -yeah, yeah I know, and the kunts get paid a fortune for sitting there being nosey."
    who my family are, where I work etc
    Or less offensive, come out informing them of updates.

"my sister is actually dead"
    "I changed jobs, you should update your records, do you want the new work address?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Don't worry, they'll soon be dead.

conorhal wrote: »
    There's just something sneering about the OP's post that seems unplesent.

So you think I'm sneering but you think it's ok for 2 women who I don't know from Adam to sit there and rudely talk about me and my whole family as if I wasn't even there?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭cml387

Just say:

" I thought you were talking about me when I was in here this morning".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

Should have cut a glory hole in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

why don't they give the day's work to people on the dole? It'll give them a little something to put on a CV and would save the country a few grand in social welfare payments that week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I don't see what's wrong with a couple of ould wans helping out at the polling stations during the elections. Besides, the likes of Tonight with Vincent Browne, Primetime and the Frontline are geared towards their demographic.

However, I find it extremely creepy the amounts of students involved in say Ogra Fianna Fail or Labour Youth etc. who can be seen licking the hole of their party's local representative during the elections, on the off-chance that they may get a future role in politics. Or even worse, those poster monkeys in the student union who campaign for their "friend" whose running for Ents Officer or something of that ilk, just so they can get on the guestlist of some ****ty nightclub for the year. Those types of people should get a life, and broaden their minds.

Advertisement