Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oven Dried Tomatoes

Options
  • 31-05-2012 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

I made these for the first time recently. OMG!! They are incredible. Cant believe I didn't try them out sooner.
    Anyone else make these?
    Very simple, id highly recommend giving them a try :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

*coughs* I'll get me coat.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

What recipe did you use?

I like the flavour of sun dried tomatoes, but I find the supermarket ones too dry and chewy, I'd much rather make something myself in the oven, but I don't know how.

So leave your coat where it is, and let me know your secret :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I love the sun-ripened ones from superquinn. Much fatter and juicier than the sun dried ones.

Nigellas recipe for moonblush tomatoes is also very good. You put the tomatoes (with herbs and garlic) straight into a hot oven, then turn the oven off and leave them in there overnight.

Yum yum.

quaalude wrote: »

So leave your coat where it is, and let me know your secret :)

They are good, here's how I make them.

Preheat the oven to about 75celcius.

Take whatever amount of tomatoes you need, it is very important to use good, vine ripened tomatoes here.

Cut them in half, scoop out the seeds.

Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet.

Season well with Salt, Pepper & Chopped Garlic.

Drizzle with Olive Oil. You can also sprinkle on some dried Oregano if you like.

Place them in the oven for around 3 hours, until they have lost almost all moisture, the texture is slightly leathery.

Allow to cool and store in jar or bowl, covered with Olive Oil.

Dead easy and very delicious :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Nigellas recipe for moonblush tomatoes is also very good. You put the tomatoes (with herbs and garlic) straight into a hot oven, then turn the oven off and leave them in there overnight.
    I stayed at a B&B/hotel in Dingle once where the restaurant put the tomatoes for the next morning's breakfasts in the ovens just after they turned them off at the end of the night's service. As you say, they were delicious, and much better than blasting freezing cold tomatoes straight from the fridge under the grill for a few minutes like most places do.

GastroBoy wrote: »
    They are good, here's how I make them...

Sounds so lovely, cheers for that GastroBoy.
    Will try it at the weekend and report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Just wondering how long would these last for, if I was going to make them I'd prefer to do a large batch but not sure if they'd keep

fitzcoff wrote: »
    Just wondering how long would these last for, if I was going to make them I'd prefer to do a large batch but not sure if they'd keep

They would keep for a month or two, maybe more, in a sealed, sterilised jar with enough oil to cover them. Just make sure you dried them properly as that can effect their preservation.
    And as with any preserves, once you have opened the jar, its best to use them within 3-4 days.

For anyone trying Nigella's Moonblush Tomatoes - http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/moonblush-tomatoes-58 - you need to use baby tomatoes.

I didn't have any baby tomatoes, so chanced my arm with full-sized tomatoes, quartered, and ended up with sloppy tomato sludge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement