Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas BBQ question-help!

Options
  • 31-05-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just purchased a cheap gas bbq . Unlike my old bbq, it has no lava rock and uses a different fuel -butane.

I had a propane cylinder so i cut off the butane adapter on the new bbq and fitted the old propane one from the old BBQ.

Had first BBQ lastnight- brutal..stuff took ages to cook.

Question- assuming you have the correct adaptors, can a gas bbq use either propane or butane- does it matter?

My old BBQ has lava rock scattered all around, directly on top of the burners, the new one just has an upside down V shaped sheet of metal covering the burners- can I get rid of this and add lava rocks, and will this improve things?

Help much appreciated- having BBQ tomorrow:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

http://www.infomania.co.uk/archives/234

The operating temperature ranges of propane and butane are different, and will impact performance even at mild temperatures. The gas in a smaller bottle will cool quicker as it is tapped than in a larger bottle, and bottles chilled overnight may not warm to operating temperature again during the day. Thus the size of a bottle and the temperature at which it's stored will also impact performance.

The problem is that Butane is less volatile and therefore a Propane BBQ tends to burn more gas per second (at the same, outside air temperature) as a result of the higher gas flow rate.

Put simply, lava rocks are used to retain and reflect heat in a barbecue, as well as absorb excess grease.
    Lava rocks do not actually add to or enhance the flavor of any meats cooked on a barbecue, but many swear that lava rocks do help to enhance the cooking process and produce better barbecued food.

Some bbq grills are made specifically to use lava rocks, but lava rocks can be used with almost all barbecues, and are usually used with gas barbecues. Using lava rocks with gas barbecues helps the bbq to heat up faster, since the lava rocks retain heat, and subsequently radiate heat for better cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

We had this issue. My husband just got a butane has bottle from our local garage and then went to B&Q and got a butane cap and hose. We just replaced this with the propane hose and cap provided with the BBQ. Our BBQ is a very large, expensive BBQ and we found the BBQ with the butane cooked the burgers and sausages within approx 15 mins of it being switched on! It was excellent! Only prob was the extra €20 we had to fork out for the butane adaptor in b&q!

Advertisement