Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook Competition to Promote Website

Options
  • 31-05-2012 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I've just set up a review website. At the moment I'm stuggling to get people adding reviews. I also want to promote my Facebook page and gett people to start liking it. I was thinking of running a competition. The idea I had would be that the first 50 or 100 people (who have Facebook profiles) to add a review on the website will be entered into a draw. From that 10 people will be randomly selected for the final of the competition. Each person would be tagged in a picture. The challenge would be to share and 'Like' the photo and the person with the most wins!

What do people think of this idea? Can you see it working? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Also, what sort of a prize should I offer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I think that running a competition like this is against the rules of facebook, but loads seem to do it and get away with it. As regards the format, it seems really good, but you would want a fairly decent prize to make people go through the effort of the competition

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

It would help to know what people are reviewing first off, products, music, films,games?

This in turn might suggest what sort of prize you might offer but it sounds like a lot of effort to be honest so I wouldnt think many people would do all that unless it was something very worthwhile.

Also people writing a review to enter a competition doesnt guarantee a proper review, they could potentially just right any old nonsense just to enter the competition and not give a fair review of the product or whatever is on the site.

As was pointed out you really would want to look into the terms and conditions on facebook before going any further with this as they are very strict about competitions.

I don't think Facebook would care. I see this kinda stuff going on all the time, to varying degrees of success.

Depending on the prize, OP, people may do it. You're competing with IMDB here though (I naturally assume it's film/movie related, for some reason) so it's gonna be an entirely uphill battle if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭arbitrage

You would have to do the majority of the first few hundred reviews yourself if there is no monetary benefit to the other people who do the reviews.

Did you read about moneysavingexpert.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Grass Hopper

Why would you need a competition to get fake likes on your page :confused:

Surely your better off steadily building your page with people who like your product or service rather than a big wave of grabbers who after the dust has settled either click the "hide all updates" or even the "unlike" button.

The beauty of a like page is only those that are interested in your business like it as opposed to a profile that suffers from hoards of sad people adding you simply to bulk their friend tally.

Why you would need a promotion to attract the latter group escapes me :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

BSIM wrote: »
    I also want to promote my Facebook page and gett people to start liking it.

Here's a question - can you outline (to yourself, not necessarily to me) why you want people to start liking your Facebook business page? What benefits will it bring the company? What's the conversion rate - can you say that x amount of "likes" brings in y amount of revenue?

What benefit does your business FB page bring to customers - is it a news feed, a technical support place?

If you're hoping that people "liking" your FB page will help spread the news about your site, how will it do that? What percentage of people who see a "like" posted by their friend will follow through to your site? How many extra visits will it bring?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭arbitrage

I doubt the prize is anything substantial so it would be an extremely cheap way to advertise for someone whose total budget is probably under a grand.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

If you're going down the prize route, nothing seems to spark general interest more than an iPad. It's the gadget people crave but can't justify spending the money on. From what I've seen, nothing really generates that much interest across as broad a demographic.

But... you might find yourself having a greater and more genuine impact by getting some quality and attention-grabbing content out in the ether. Competitions will take off because X sees that Y has liked your page, but Y isn't actively promoting your content, that cuts down on their chances. But if you make something that engages Y, then he'll go and tell X and all the rest of his friends.

Advertisement