Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam help

Options
  • 31-05-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi
    I have passed all my exams but one , which i got an F grade in . this is an elective module . just wondering can i compensate or do i have to repeat or resist?
    Would appreciate the help thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

theman123 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have passed all my exams but one , which i got an F grade in . this is an elective module . just wondering can i compensate or do i have to repeat or resist?
    Would appreciate the help thanks

F grades can't be compensated, only E's can if you pass 75% of that stage's modules and have a GPA above 2.

As its not core you can either repeat it or substitute it for another module, which unlike a repeat does not have a capped GPA. But it costs more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 theman123

so if i resist the exam i only do the end of year test? and is that worth 100%?
    or do i have an option to repeat the module?

theman123 wrote: »
    so if i resist the exam i only do the end of year test? and is that worth 100%?
    or do i have an option to repeat the module?

The make up of the resit depends in the module, check the course descriptor.

If the module is offered that semester then usually you have that option, check with your programmes office.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Teresab

Hope this is correct thread and hope someone will answer my questions and not just think I'm a Helicopter Mum which I'm not, MY daughter has failed all of her Semester 1 exams and 2 of the repeats and all her semester 2 exams in first year UCD, she says she went to all the tutorials and Lectures wasn't a party animal and she was home with me every Thurs night to Sunday night,She even managed to get 2 grade G, didn't know such a grade existed, obviously college is over for her,I can't fund first year again, if someone could just tell me straight what was she likely doing or not doing to get such results, please be brutally honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Teresab wrote: »
    Hope this is correct thread and hope someone will answer my questions and not just think I'm a Helicopter Mum which I'm not, MY daughter has failed all of her Semester 1 exams and 2 of the repeats and all her semester 2 exams in first year UCD, she says she went to all the tutorials and Lectures wasn't a party animal and she was home with me every Thurs night to Sunday night,She even managed to get 2 grade G, didn't know such a grade existed, obviously college is over for her,I can't fund first year again, if someone could just tell me straight what was she likely doing or not doing to get such results, please be brutally honest

Absolutely nothing unfortunately. Might be worth talking to her about it, there must be something else going on to get those sort of grades, especially in 1st year.

• Advertisement

Well for your own reference here's a description of the standard required for each grade.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/staff_info/modular%20grades%20explained%20staff.pdf

Failing 14 exams is very unusual, something isn't right but for anyone here to try and explain it would be complete speculation and probably not very fair, we don't know your daughter. Only your daughter knows why she failed.

Thank you for your replys, obviously she's on a different planet, to say I'm heartbroken and bitterly dissapointed is an understatement, should she have spoken to someone after semester 1 fails

Thank you for your replys, obviously she's on a different planet, to say I'm heartbroken and bitterly dissapointed is an understatement, should she have spoken to someone after semester 1 fails

Probably yes, there are lots of support services in UCD. But hindsight can be a great thing. If I were you I would check to make sure there's not something up with her, failing that many exams isn't normal. Maybe she just didn't do a tap of work and didn't take college seriously at all, but I would check just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Hope this is correct thread and hope someone will answer my questions and not just think I'm a Helicopter Mum which I'm not, MY daughter has failed all of her Semester 1 exams and 2 of the repeats and all her semester 2 exams in first year UCD, she says she went to all the tutorials and Lectures wasn't a party animal and she was home with me every Thurs night to Sunday night.

I'd be concerned about the staying in every night, that isn't healthy or normal for someone in first year of college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

What course was she doing? Maybe she has no aptitude for it.

The chances of someone going to most of their lectures and tutorials and failing all the exams is extremely unlikely to me. A G is between .02 and 19.99%. To get a grade that low she would have had to barely write anything if it was essay based, or have attempted very few questions if its maths based.

• Advertisement

Well she's saying she went to them, she was studying Music, French and Sociology, very confusing to me too, I just find it so hard to believe that she could get it soo wrong,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Well she's saying she went to them, she was studying Music, French and Sociology, very confusing to me too, I just find it so hard to believe that she could get it soo wrong,

To fail one or two modules in first year Arts is generally the case with quite a few students however to fail anymore than 6 or 7 implies that very little work was put in. However to fail 14 exams implies something else. It may be a cry for help because to put it bluntly it can be difficult to fail some modules in first year Arts. Any student who can get into the course in the first place through the CAO is obviously capable of autonomous study and so it would lead me to believe that the person either hates the course or college or has other issues. There is no way someone could get those grades mentioned if they attended their tutorials and lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Might be worth asking if she actually did the exam. I knew someone that went to the rds but for whatever reason decided not to go into the exam hall and obviously failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

would it be correct to assume if she was studying french, that she did it for her leaving cert? And she must have gotten a reasonable grade (C or above) to get into arts? I would say that someone with that level of french would have found it hard to completely fail first year french.

Also, many of the modules she would have been taking would have had some continuous assessment part to them. Was she also failing these throughout the year? If she logged into her SIS account (the site she would have used to check her results) you can click into each subject to see a breakdown of the grade. It will show what she got in the exam, and what she got for continuous assessments.

Heres the link to the SIS site: https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/twbkwbis.P_WWWLogin

Did she study at home at all? Go to the library coming up to exams? To me it definitely sounds like more going on. The grades are so drastically low that it would indicate either next to no effort being put in or as someone else mentioned, her failing on purpose.

Never seen a book, I have her credit statement up. Where can I get a break down of results, by the way never seen her with a book at home, she continuously told me she was working, looking at these results she was not. sorry for being a nuisance

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

If you have the credit statement up, there's a column on the left with numbers, if you click on the one beside a subject it should give you the break down (there can be the odd lecturer who doesn't fill in the break down part but should be there for most of them).

found the breakdown of results, exams were failed before she sat them at all, all assignments and essays and mid seasons, anything all NG'S. This from a girl in no way forced to go to college, and 2 hard working fools of parents at home

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

You should sit her down and talk to her. Maybe there's something going on that's upsetting her? Try to find out what the problem is without getting angry or upset because she'll be more likely to talk to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 doly

I know you are shocked and heartbroken but I've met a number of students in their 20s who are back in college for a second time because they couldn't deal with it first time around for all sorts of reasons. It is a huge change from secondary school and some people need a few years to mature and be sure of what they want before going on to have a very successful time in college. I certainly couldn't have coped with it straight from school. So don't assume that this is the end of her college career.
    But it is also true that college is not for everyone and plenty of people manage to live very happily without a degree and this is in no way a reflection on their intelligence. It is too widely accepted that if you have the points you must go to college but there really are other options out there.

Thank you everyone, it was great being able to discuss it with people in the know, it will take me some time to let go of this, but I know I'll have to,I don't think people realize how upset I am, I never want to hear the word college again, maybe she'll try harder when she has to fund herself, life was too easy for her but not anymore. Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Thank you everyone, it was great being able to discuss it with people in the know, it will take me some time to let go of this, but I know I'll have to,I don't think people realize how upset I am, I never want to hear the word college again, maybe she'll try harder when she has to fund herself, life was too easy for her but not anymore. Thanks again

If she drops out now she will only have to pay full fees for one year if she returns to college and providing the current student contribution system stays in place she will be eligible for the usual charge which I think is 2500 but is increasing yearly which is a small consolation.

I wouldnt give up on her, shes probably still young, once she hits her twenties she will realise her mistakes and encouragement to return to college would be the best thing for her future (once shes matured and sorted out her issues ofcourse).

Advertisement