Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL reporting, getting started

Options
  • 31-05-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

How would one go about teaching themselves sql for reporting purposes, what would I need, method of learning etc

There's a good chance I'll be able to get training in the near future(6-12 months) through work but lets just say it will help my chances if I'm already at a certain level

I have done sql in college so it's not completely new to me, studied, past exams, then forgot about it, you know how it is :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Do you mean this...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_Server_Reporting_Services

Or is it general query about using SQL for data analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

yep, for data analysis, it seems to be almost expected of sys admins to know it these days and it really bugs me that I don't know it! I'm getting books off a friend who thought herself so at least I have a starting point, but any advice is welcome including telling me I'm wasting my time, but i don't think so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

always handy to know. If you can write SPs and use mail merge in word then you can use SQL Reports.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I would suggest that before you even think about the reporting aspects, that you get a good grounding in general databases and SQL. Look for tutorials on designing and creating databases, and run through plenty of samples. Then look for tutorials on SQL, and again, run through plenty of samples. The get some sample databases (Microsoft's AdventureWorks database is pretty great for this), then think of the type of reports you/users might want to pull out, and see can you build the correct queries. Then, once you have gotten to that point, try getting some reporting software and putting your knowledge to work using that.

Unless you have particular database software available or in mind already, I'd strongly suggest going with SQL Server Express. This will give you a powerful database backend that supports all the features you will be interested in, you can create databases, tables, views, stored procedures etc. You can get the great management studio for graphically working with your DB's, and it provides great interfaces for your SQL queries. With Advanced Services you can also use SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) which will give you great tools for building/running/sharing advanced reports. All for free, and all within the same simple technology stack.

Advertisement