Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Climbing Mt Everest is for idiots!

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    * I always insist on calling the world's highest mountain by its correct name Sagarmatha, the one the Nepalese gave it centuries before an imperialist English git, Andrew Waugh, who was then the British Surveyor General of India, named it after his predecessor in the post, Sir George Everest. The latter had never even seen the mountain nor been aware of its existence.

Isn't there many local names for it? :confused: Hence why it was called Everest as on of the local names couldn't be settled on. Indeed, Everest himself was not keen on the name and believed it should be given a local name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Sauve wrote: »
    Very few people will understand the mentality.
    They do it to feel alive, achievement, power, self pride, throwing off the mundanity of life.
    I recently trained for and completed a 100k cycle. I wouldn't consider it a big achievement at all on a grand scale, I've already got my sights set on more, but as a personal challenge it was massive and I'm still getting a buzz from having done it.

People that say 'you're mental' simply don't understand the euphoria that comes from something like that. It feels so good it's scary sometimes.

(I'm fully aware of how crazy that sounds, but it's true :p)

Yea, but that's no excuse to leave some kids without a parent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

File the top off the thing, put a hotel on it. Then all the people looking for life affirming experiences off the beaten track can take up something new.
    Somalian pirate weekend? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Isn't there many local names for it? :confused: Hence why it was called Everest as on of the local names couldn't be settled on. Indeed, Everest himself was not keen on the name and believed it should be given a local name.

I think it got named Everset because there was no access to Tibet or Nepal so the local names were unknown to the British surveyers at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

I think the reason people get so euphoric from climbing it is because it's a legal high. Duh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

All the excuses in this thread!

Is saving someone from death on everest not considered a worthy story for these folk?

Skip the summit, save some millionaire - still have a great story (and possibly try again later).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

SomeFool wrote: »
    Shur nobody should ever go anywhere or do anything so. I don't see why someone should drop their dreams and ambitions beacuse they have a family.

I do agree it was poorly thought out and poorly timed though but then not knowing the person or their situation maybe they would heve never had another chance to do it.

If your dreams/ambitions involve doing something potentially fatal and expensive the achievement of which would only serve to give you a personal high then you shouldn't do it.

From day 1 your kids are more important then you are, that's a fundamental that i'd like to pass on from my parents to the ones that may follow from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If I had busted a gut to get to the top of Everest, spending years in training and making sure my expedition was top notch, I'd walk past those who put little or no effort in and were collapsing on the route up. I'm not going to put myself at risk for someone who was completely unprepared.

The difference between the stories of (heroic) climbers helping others off K2 and people passing by on Everest is that the former were amongst fellow climbers who had got into trouble. Often it's just luck that separates the fortunate from the unfortunate, so in that case everyone knows they should do their utmost to assist those in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

hmmm wrote: »
    Often it's just luck that separates the fortunate from the unfortunate

That's deep, man :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

If I had busted a gut to get to the top of Everest, spending years in training and making sure my expedition was top notch, I'd walk past those who put little or no effort in and were collapsing on the route up. I'm not going to put myself at risk for someone who was completely unprepared.
    Good on you for being able to distinguish between those lazy unprepared climbers and the 'real' type.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There seems to be an attitude that Everest is only for the hipsters. :confused:

Why don't ya'll scale over to K2 where we're still 'keeping it real'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

The difference between the stories of (heroic) climbers helping others off K2 and people passing by on Everest is that the former were amongst fellow climbers who had got into trouble. Often it's just luck that separates the fortunate from the unfortunate, so in that case everyone knows they should do their utmost to assist those in trouble.

hmmmmmm

Which is it Confucius?

Does anyone know if any of the dead climbers have received a Darwin award?

I could never climb Everest because I'm too whiny and I hate carrying heavy bags. That's why airports have trolleys. They don't even have beers or smokes up there, or music, sounds sh1te to me.

Apart from that, my wife wouldn't allow it. She would divorce me and take the kids, so I'd be even more whiny knowing that when I got home I'd have to deal with all that crap. That's if I survived. There's a good chance my 'team' would leave this cranky whinger on the slopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's usually some posh, beardy twat climbing a mountain, gets in difficulty by needlessly wanting to climb this thing, then other people have to risk their lives(emergency services) to save him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

A more realistic, more safe goal is to climb Carrauntoohil, though you would still want to know how to navigate using a compass and map.

I'd well recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Its adventure and extreme man and that's what I live for if you get what I mean...

*gulps Red Bull*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I just finished 'Into Thin Air' about an hour ago so felt the need to post. I think Krakauer was painfully honest in his assessment of what happened in 96. I don't think Broukeev came out looking too badly at all; on more than one occasion Krakauer calls his deeds 'heroic.'

Next, is 'The Climb.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I highly, highly recommend Joe Simpsons 'Touching the Void'. Nothing to do with Everest the best mountaineering book I've ever read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Think you missed the point? Rolling back down is genius / will make you a genius

Advertisement