Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a flatmate for over 3 weeks, anything wrong with my ad?

Options
  • 31-05-2012 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hello, I have been looking for a flatmate but had maybe 1 reply in 3 weeks and am still on the lookout, do you see anything wrong with my post? Do you think the lack of pictures could be the reason? Place is really good, went through countless ****holes before finding this, maybe it's not the season? The guy who visited shared my views but had too much stuff to move in :(

Advices welcome :)

Daft Property Code: www.daft.ie/3677750
    Gumtree: http://cork.gumtree.ie/c-Properties-flatshare-houseshare-Dun-Laoi-Union-Quay-Cork-City-Centre-W0QQAdIdZ381885241

Thanks.

What is wrong with my ad? 1 vote

Not enough pictures
    0% 0 votes
    Nothing
    0% 0 votes
    Else, please comment
    100% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Looks good to Me,to be honest..

Nice spot too....Nice and clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

probably this:
    74€ (to pay for name change in lease)

I would smell a rat when being asked to pay for a name change in a lease!! I have never heard of this anywhere. Its not up to the tenant to pay for this. If you are subletting (with the landlord's permission) then it is up to you to pay this fee...
    Drop this from your ad and i think you may have better luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

My two cents are that you should have individual pictures rather than the single grouped one you already have, as that makes it harder to see detail in the pictures. Also you should have a picture of the room you are actually renting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I would consider the rent to be pretty high for a room in an apartment that looks very small. We have a 3-bedroom duplex and the entire rent is €700 a month, 5 minutes walk from the city centre. Also, is it normal to have to provide two references, photo ID and fill in a form?! I've never done anything like that, whether in a house share or renting the whole flat. Perhaps it's because of the apartment block, but having to jump through so many hoops would put me off TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Agree with the above,sounds very regimental and a lot of hoops to go through

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Faith is spot on, Way to much info and demands in your ad, just put the basic stuff in the ad, wait until you've roped them in to hit them with the rest.
    No aerial connection? Surely if you have UPC broadband you can have cable TV from them also.
    Perhaps I'm reading the TV part wrong, but if I am so are other people, no telly would put me off straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bhangraman

Faith wrote: »
    I would consider the rent to be pretty high for a room in an apartment that looks very small. We have a 3-bedroom duplex and the entire rent is €700 a month, 5 minutes walk from the city centre. Also, is it normal to have to provide two references, photo ID and fill in a form?! I've never done anything like that, whether in a house share or renting the whole flat. Perhaps it's because of the apartment block, but having to jump through so many hoops would put me off TBH.

Agency policy there (I agree it's very daunting), flat is actually very spacious (gotta attach some big pictures to give it justice) and good bang for the buck (except for the name change I agree)

54kroc wrote: »
    Faith is spot on, Way to much info and demands in your ad, just put the basic stuff in the ad, wait until you've roped them in to hit them with the rest.
    No aerial connection? Surely if you have UPC broadband you can have cable TV from them also.
    Perhaps I'm reading the TV part wrong, but if I am so are other people, no telly would put me off straight away.

Well I don't use TV and refuse to pay for something I don't use so if the person wants to avail of the TV license sure (but I think anyone keen on watching telly would expect the license to be paid already)

My agency (Rose Property) decided to waive this fee due to the upcoming renewal, hopefully, more people will be interested now.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭omega666

Bhangraman wrote: »
    My agency (Rose Property) decided to waive this fee due to the upcoming renewal, hopefully, more people will be interested now.

I may have missed it but there's no actual photo of the bedroom being rented in there.

If i was looking for a place that would have made me skip to the next ad.

omega666 wrote: »
    I may have missed it but there's no actual photo of the bedroom being rented in there.

If i was looking for a place that would have made me skip to the next ad.

Yeah I'll do that ASAP, actually same here, I need to see detailed pictures beforehand.

• Advertisement

I'd say get several photos of the room up, remove the bits about references (tell them that when they're hooked), and take out the fee for name change immediately if it's no longer applicable. Try to make the room look as nice as possible in the pictures too.

I'd say get several photos of the room up, remove the bits about references (tell them that when they're hooked), and take out the fee for name change immediately if it's no longer applicable. Try to make the room look as nice as possible in the pictures too.

Thanks a lot for your tips, I've amended the ads, only remains the pics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

The deposit part confuses me, are you saying you'll refund half of the €375 when they leave? If so, I'd be questioning why I wouldn't be getting my full deposit back. But if not, Id just mention the figure and leave out the bit in brackets. Most people know that you've to pay a month's deposit and you'll get it all back at the end provided you left the place in decent condition.

Also, if I'm reading it properly, the actual rent is €375, but you're lumping UPC in with that? Bad idea, the lower you can make the rent sound, the more people it will appeal to. Relist it at €375.

Also, if I'm reading it properly, the actual rent is €375, but you're lumping UPC in with that? Bad idea, the lower you can make the rent sound, the more people it will appeal to. Relist it at €375.

Good point, I amended the ad with all suggestions now, including photos.

The deposit part confuses me, are you saying you'll refund half of the €375 when they leave? If so, I'd be questioning why I wouldn't be getting my full deposit back. But if not, Id just mention the figure and leave out the bit in brackets. Most people know that you've to pay a month's deposit and you'll get it all back at the end provided you left the place in decent condition.

Yeah it was confusing wording indeed, I meant the deposit to be paid represents half of the overall deposit I paid.

Looks much more appealing now :). Good luck with finding a tenant!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

It's also a buyer's market time of the year. The students are heading off leaving loads of places empty.

Advertisement