Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Nicholas H-Dip in Arts in Early Childhood Montessori Education

Options
  • 31-05-2012 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi everyone,

I am applying for the Higher Diploma in Arts in Early Childhood Montessori Education in St Nicholas College.

Does anybody have any tips on the interview? What kinda of questions are asked etc?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 orla201

Hi Fivespice,

Did u go for this interview?? I only applied recently (I was told first round offers were out but I could compete for a place in second round offers)

I was given an interview for next week.

Any info bout d interview or tips would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mitzi maz

Hi Orla,

How did u get on in this interview? I got offered a place in first round offers and am starting the course the week after next. Bit nervous. I'd say it'll be a tough year! I actually just went on boards around two days after you sent that message and saw your message but couldn't reply to ya cos i hadn't joined boards and had barely even used it before..otherwise i'd have given u some help! Didn't realise it was so easy to sign up!! Hope u got it anyway! It was a tough interview..didn't really think I'd get offered a place to be honest!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

mitzi maz wrote: »
    Hi Orla,

How did u get on in this interview? I got offered a place in first round offers and am starting the course the week after next. Bit nervous. I'd say it'll be a tough year! I actually just went on boards around two days after you sent that message and saw your message but couldn't reply to ya cos i hadn't joined boards and had barely even used it before..otherwise i'd have given u some help! Didn't realise it was so easy to sign up!! Hope u got it anyway! It was a tough interview..didn't really think I'd get offered a place to be honest!! :)

Hey, Im starting on Tuesday too! Cannot wait.. I only found out Im starting next week after I got worried about the lack of communication from them and emailed!
    Do you know the layout of the teaching practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mitzi maz

How r u? Cool! I shall be seeing ya tomoro so! Kept meaning to check if somebody replied! Can't believe it's tomoro! I'm excited too! I already started my teaching placement last week! Ann King said in the interview to try and get started as soon as possible and preferably b4 classes start so we can understand the lectures..we can apply our work to our learning like! So what's ur name? Where r u from..Monaghan? My name's Maria and I'm from Tipp! C ya tomoro!! : D P.S..yeah, the teaching practice is a minimum of 180 hours for the year and u'll be working in a student capacity unless u get hired as an assistant! I had to email Ann with loadsa questions. The woman on reception told me to cos she hadn't a clue and yes - the lack of correspondence I have to say leaves a lot to be desired!! If u wanna know anything else b4 tomoro just ask! : ) Oh yeah..I'm loving the teaching practice already!!! They r so cute!! : )

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

How are you girls getting on? I am giving serious consideration to applying for this (and regretting not doing it eleven years ago after school)

• Advertisement

Yenwod wrote: »
    How are you girls getting on? I am giving serious consideration to applying for this (and regretting not doing it eleven years ago after school)

Getting on pretty well actually. You will find that you will become obsessed with the method so easily!
    The workload is ridiculously light, our first assignment isnt due until December!

Its mainly based around your teaching practice and a lot of it is self directed as much of the notes etc are a bit bare. So I make my own notes etc.
    Lectures are good, not many hours so its good!

It will just be great to get out of it with a Level 8 which I am assured will make us great candidates for teaching positions!! :)

That's great to hear that you're getting on well...surprised to hear that about the workload, I would have assumed it be very intense.

I checked with the college about the entry requirements and you need a Level 8 degree, unfortunately mine is a Level 7 so it's not looking too good for me getting in :( I think Level 7 will be considered but probably only if it's in someway related.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

Is this a one year course like a teaching conversion course, so if for example you had a level 8 degree in say business studies you could apply to enrol with a view to becoming a teacher

Yenwod wrote: »
    That's great to hear that you're getting on well...surprised to hear that about the workload, I would have assumed it be very intense.

I checked with the college about the entry requirements and you need a Level 8 degree, unfortunately mine is a Level 7 so it's not looking too good for me getting in :( I think Level 7 will be considered but probably only if it's in someway related.

Well I can tell you that I know of at least four of the girls in my class that has a level 7 degree so I wouldnt worry too much about it.
    Definitely still apply, do some work experience in a classroom etc. It is all decided in the interview, so make sure you have lots of practice to talk about.

Tomjim wrote: »
    Is this a one year course like a teaching conversion course, so if for example you had a level 8 degree in say business studies you could apply to enrol with a view to becoming a teacher

Yeah well my level 8 is in marketing, and a lot of the class come from mad backgrounds like banking, beauticians, chefs etc..
    Only qualifies you to teach as a montessori teacher though, not a primary teacher or anything.

• Advertisement

Well I can tell you that I know of at least four of the girls in my class that has a level 7 degree so I wouldnt worry too much about it.
    Definitely still apply, do some work experience in a classroom etc. It is all decided in the interview, so make sure you have lots of practice to talk about.
    Unfortunatly with a fulltime job, classroom experience will be next to impossible for me. Have been looking at some online FETAC Level 6 child development/child related courses that I was considering doing to help...don't know if it will though? Hopefully so.

AMI have said they'd accept a Level 7 though so there is that option too

Yenwod I'd still apply for it with your level 7 degree. But if u completed a level 6 fetac course in a child-related field between now and next sept it would defo be an advantage to you. Even a short online course would show u have an interest in the field of children/youth when you go for your interview. It's also good to note while AMI have said they'd accept a Level 7, AMI's H Dip isn't awarded by Hetac but by the AMI college itself. Hetac is nationally recognised and would therefore stand to u a lot more.

orla201 wrote: »
    Yenwod I'd still apply for it with your level 7 degree. But if u completed a level 6 fetac course in a child-related field between now and next sept it would defo be an advantage to you. Even a short online course would show u have an interest in the field of children/youth when you go for your interview. It's also good to note while AMI have said they'd accept a Level 7, AMI's H Dip isn't awarded by Hetac but by the AMI college itself. Hetac is nationally recognised and would therefore stand to u a lot more.
    Oh yeah, if I can realistically afford it, I will still definitely apply for it. And yes hopefully a course like that would stand to me...and I genuinely would be interested in doing one anyway :)
    I saw that about AMI...they are currently applying for the same accreditation I believe...but yes, I would rather St Nicholas's one I think.

*fingers crossed*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Just got sent the application form for this today - ladies who did it last year/this year, any opinions? Currently working full time but its something thats been on my mind a while now.

Hi Lilmissprincess,
    I'm currently doing the course. Work load is quite heavy now but before Xmas it'a mainly just based on placement and lectures. Lectures are 3 afternoons a wk, Tues, Wed and Thurs from 3.30-6.30. Students normally do placement a few days a wk in the mornings. 180hrs of placement have to be done throughout the yr.A lot of students are starting to finish their placements now cause they've made up their hrs. Im currently on 150hrs so will be goin for a bit longer! I'd definately apply for it if u want to work with children in montessori/preschool as it's a level 8 course and employers will prefer this. It took me a while to settle in2 the course and get my head in2 it but I'm definately enjoying it now and would recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I've emailed twice now having received the application form but previously being told I probably shouldn't bother as my degree didn't fit their requirements for some clarification but have gotten no response - are they normally this bad at contacting back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ais91

Hi I applied and had my interview about two weeks ago. Does anyone know how long it takes to find out if you got a place?

Hi Ais,

If I were you I'd ring or email them and ask if you have a place or when will you know if you have a place. Because I know a couple of girls on my course this year who went for interviews in June/Jul and they hadn't got word back come Aug. But when they rang up they were told that yes they had a place and they were down on the roll. A miscommunication along the way somewhere and the girls weren't told they had a place! I'd email Ann King as she's the head of the course.

Hi orla,

Thank for the reply I will try that just thought there might be an official date or something but doesn't look like it so an email it is thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 a.auhl

Hi guys,
    I'm just sending off my application for this course tomorrow, I'm hoping to get an interview in the 2nd round offers on the 19th August.
    Can any of you who have already done the interview please give me some info on the questions you were asked so I can start preparing.
    Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

Hey
    I just did my interview in June and just found out I got in so hopefully I can help you with a few things I remember :-)
    They kind if begin with your degree or whatever course u have done before kinda just saying what modules you did and did u like it etc. They also ask why u are choosing it I think they are trying to get a feel it its right course for you so any reasons u like montessori etc...also so background knowledge of montessori method I just read what was in there own website. One thing that kind of caught me by surprise is they ask like why did you choose this particular course what made it appeal to you? And then just the normal bits off your cv etc. It really wasn't that bad as long as its really want to do and u put that across to them I am sure you will be fine. Definitely knowing the history, and a bit about the course would help you the rest is really about yourself....hope that helps if I think of anything else I will post again sorry for the essay but hope it helps and hopefully see you there in sept :-)

Hi Ais,
    Thanks for your help that's great. I'm probably jumping the gun my application form is only in the post today and its 2nd round so my chances are probably smaller but id rather be ready incase I do get the interview .
    Cheers again!

Hi,
    I did this course last yr and only applied end of August and went for interview start of Sept and got my place! And I know one girl got offered a place the day before the course started so you've got a good chance of getting a place a.audl. What Ais91 said about the interview is pretty spot on. It's mainly just about your own degree, and any experience you may have with children. Also why you want to do the course. So just google info on the Montessori method and why you like it or why you want to work with children. But it's pretty relaxed and laid back, nothing too serious. Good Luck!

Thanks Orla,
    Also can you remember when you sat exam at Christmas and summer?
    Iv already booked flights for Australia in December for best friends wedding il be gone for 3-4wks I'm worrying now this will mess up exams for me.i was hoping I mite be able to defer until Summer.
    Also a bit of a personal one but I can't find the answer on their website, how much does the h.dip cost with them?
    Iv already done a PGDE that cost around 5k so I'm assuming its the same?
    Regards

We had practical exams the end of January, and we were meant to have a 5000 word observation due before Xmas but it was pushed back to January as well. So December was actually a quiet enough month with nothing major due. Before Xmas was really laid back, it was only after Xmas that the course got a bit intense!
    Yeh it cost just over 5000 euro for the course, which can be paid in a few installments throughout the year.

Hi,
    I got and email last week from the college with the dates that we would be in college. One of these days is a saturday does anyone know if this is compulsory attendance as i have something very important to attend that day which cant be changed??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Alpaca

Hi Ais91,

Just saw this thread here and would love if you could give me further information on this course. The college are hopefully going to offer this course in their Limerick Centre for 2014/2015 and I would really love to do it. I am a mature student and in the middle of completing my application form. I was wondering would you mind giving me a list of books that are needed for this course or any information would be great.
    Thanks a million.
    A

Hi yeah I am in the middle of the course now and really enjoying it. It is a lot of work assignments and 300 hours work placement to be done so while I may look like you have only class in the evening the time in the morning will need to be for placement in a montessori. It is really good though you don't really need many books the main ones would be the three books by montessori herself (the absorbent mind, the discovery of the child and the secret of childhood) after that they will have to stuff in the library I picked up my copy's cheap enough on amazon.. I would def recommend it if you have anymore questions I have no prob answering :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Alpaca

Thanks a million for this. Would really love to do this course. Apparently it is under review at the moment but applicants can still apply as normal. I hope it will be offered in Limerick. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I may have more questions in future. Fingers crossed I will get accepted for this course:).
    A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 aoifet

Hi ladies,
    I am filling in my application at the moment hoping to start in september. I work three days a week and a weekend a month, I also have a one yr old to factor in! I was wondering if the girls doing the course at the mo think its doable to work aswell as do this course? Also wondering how many hours teaching practice is needed?
    I know they are in the process of possibly making it a two year course which would only lighten the load I hope:)

Any info would be great x

Advertisement