Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange larvae on tree. Help identify?

Options
  • 31-05-2012 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Every summer we get these small larvae like things all over a small maple tree in our back garden.
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they are and if they are harmful to the tree. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

they look like scale insect - I've only ever seen them on indoor plants in this country. Pull off one scale and you'll see a tiny bug inside. They're hard to kill with sprays because of their shield, you'll probably just have to scrape them off. Systemic insecticides were the business for houseplants before the EU took them off market:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

cottony maple scale .....sap suckers not unlike aphids but they have a protective shell on them that makes spraying more difficult - they can be easily scrubbed off with a plastic kitchen scrub if they are nor too widespread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rugged13

Thanks folks. Better get out the old scrubbing brush and warm water then!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

You could try to spot spray water with a mild liquid detergent on them, this will suffocate them. In vast numbers they can damage a tree if they spread to the minor branches and twigs. You could even try scrubbing the bark with warm soapy water and a mild detergent.

Advertisement