Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Btea

Options
  • 31-05-2012 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

i understand that you can go straight into btea if you are made redundant. I was made redundant last year and had work through fas schemes until now. I also got six weeks work off a contractor in between. I want to go back to 3rd level education in september and want to know if i have any chance at all of getting the allowence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

cfol102938 wrote: »
    i understand that you can go straight into btea if you are made redundant. I was made redundant last year and had work through fas schemes until now. I also got six weeks work off a contractor in between. I want to go back to 3rd level education in september and want to know if i have any chance at all of getting the allowence?

Talk to your local social welfare office ASAP

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cfol102938

i was talkin to my social welfare reps already and was told i dont qualify but it doesnt make sense (as i explained to them) that i will be on the dole 4 another year while i could be educating myself instead with the same charge to the government... i have a valid case and the system is all wrong. 'THEY' unerstand where im coming from but have no authority. My last opitions are
    sign on(which i hate an only do so cause i have no choice)
    wait a year on the dole and then go back to college
    or talk to a TD???

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

cfol102938 wrote: »
    i was talkin to my social welfare reps already and was told i dont qualify but it doesnt make sense (as i explained to them) that i will be on the dole 4 another year while i could be educating myself instead with the same charge to the government... i have a valid case and the system is all wrong. 'THEY' unerstand where im coming from but have no authority. My last opitions are
    sign on(which i hate an only do so cause i have no choice)
    wait a year on the dole and then go back to college
    or talk to a TD???

Talking to a TD won't help - If the social welfare said you are eligible then I'm afraid your options are limited and the social welfare won't just change their mind because a TD asks them to.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

For the redundancy to count for qualifying you for BTEA, the redundancy must have happened within a year of the course commencement date.
    What FAS schemes were you on? Or were you working for FAS? I am unsure by your opening post.

As mango salsa stated, talking to a TD won't matter - the guidelines are fairly clear on the qualifying period for BTEA.

Advertisement