Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returned item - not insured

Options
  • 31-05-2012 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,
    I bought a clothing item, which was delivered via courier. I returned it same day of receipt, but without insuring it. I took the risk. Because money is tight I did regular postage. Yet on the companies website, they request to insure it.
    I returned it yesterday, so I don't know yet whether they received it.
    Question is..did I really have to insure it by law? Do I have the choice despite their request?:confused:
    They will hopefully receive it and if they don't that's my loss. I understand that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

When you purchase online you have at least 7 working days to return the goods or withdraw from the service without having to give any reason or without incurring any penalty i.e. unlike when shopping on the high street, you can get a refund if you simply don't like the goods. You may however have to pay for the cost of returning the goods. The goods must be sent by you within 7 working days of the following:

In the case of goods, on the day you received the information referred to above (delivery details etc.)
    In the case of services, whichever is the later of
    the day the contract was concluded or
    the day the information referred to above (delivery details etc.) was received.

for more info on the "cooling off period" see here

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It's your responsibility to get the item back to them, it's unlikely that it'll go missing in the post or get damaged but if it does then that's on you - eg, like you said, if they don't receive it you won't get a refund.

The option to insure it would be to cover your own ass, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

hazel111 wrote: »
    Question is..did I really have to insure it by law? Do I have the choice despite their request?:confused:

Of course you have the choice, and you've already shown that, but you will have no recourse or options if it goes missing or gets damaged in the post, that's the only problem. You will be liable for the loss, and you won't get a refund.

Advertisement