Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Juwel internal pump failed

Options
  • 31-05-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

My Juwel internal pump failed two weeks ago. I replaced it within hours, however the only available pump in the shop was rated at double the output that was recommended for my Rio 180 L planted tank.

As this was an emergency I bought it. I have positioned the pump outlet upward towards the water surface to attempt to reduce the increased flow. ( The original pump was rated at 600l/h, the replacement pump rated at 1150 l/h.)
    My supplier has offered to replace the pump with the correct one, however it will take another week for it to be delivered from their supplier.

The only change in behaviour I have noticed is the 9 Cardinals have moved to the bottom area of the tank and are generally all pointing into the flow in a static formation. Their companions, 8 Rummy nose tetras and an Albino Bristle nose have not changed their behaviour.
    All are feeding well.
    My question is how stressful is this temporary increased flow for the Cardinals?

I am told they live in fast flowing streams and should cope.

Thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Is that the total flow in the tank?
    I my self would not be worried about it, unless maybe its a very small tank.
    Also you should keep in mind that external filters are tested with no media in them. So you won't be getting near their rated lph in your set up.

I know my flow is over 3000lph but it is a 120 lt tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

More filtration is good but the only problem, as you know, is the increase in the movement of the water. If the fish have moved to a particular place, that means they are escaping the water flow.

I had the very same problem recently. What I did was, direct the nozzle to the nearest wall of the aquarium. It took the power out of the jet and the fish were happy again.

Advertisement