Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google.COM search without local results?

Options
  • 31-05-2012 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.
    Google is driving me crazy.

When I do a search, it is defaulting to my local results here in Ireland (google.ie)
    Even when I change the actual URL to google.com/blahblah, it still goes back to local search results.

This happens even if I'm not logged in.

Aside from keyword research, this is destroying my general search experience. If I want something local, I'll type in Dublin. I don't need Google to think for me!

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

The customization of search results based on location is an important component of a consistent, high-quality search experience.

Therefore, we haven't provided a way to turn off location customization, although we've made it easy for you to set your own location or to customize using a general location as broad as the country that matches your local domain.

WTF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Why do you want to remove it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

smash wrote: »
    Why do you want to remove it?

Keyword research.
    I need to see SERPs for users in USA and around the world. Most of my affiliate websites are focused on the American market.
    I cannot weigh up the competition for "buy example", when I only get weak Irish sites on the first page.

Biko, thanks for that. It certainly helps. I'm still hoping to eventually find some sort of proxy search tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Could you not add /ncr to the Google URL at one point? (no country redirect)

Would that affect search results as well, or not..

• Advertisement

Seems to do the trick, thanks.

I need to figure out how to get local American results, but for now, that is the next best thing.

TYVM

I can get Chicago/USA local results via proxy server here:
    http://www.hidemyass.com/

which is pretty cool.

I think I'm mostly sorted now

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭tombom112

this is handy too http://www.pagewash.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

If you want to do a country specific search (or a dot com) its a little trick.

say you want to search google.co.uk (which will annoyingly revert to the .ie) you put this in the browser bar:

google.co.uk/ncr

- the last portion stands for no country redirect.

Then simply stick in your search phrase in the google bar and it will limit to the results to the TLD you have specified for google, eg:

google.fr/ncr
    google.com/ncr
    google.au/ncr

(this works only for Google)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,946 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

condra wrote: »
    I don't need Google to think for me!

This makes you pretty unique! I'm not sure that google caters for people who want to do their own thinking :D:D:D

Imagine it .. 2084 - Big Brother is Thinking for You!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 vikashmundaa

condra wrote: »
    Hey guys.
    Google is driving me crazy.

When I do a search, it is defaulting to my local results here in Ireland (google.ie)
    Even when I change the actual URL to google.com/blahblah, it still goes back to local search results.

This happens even if I'm not logged in.

Aside from keyword research, this is destroying my general search experience. If I want something local, I'll type in Dublin. I don't need Google to think for me!

Thanks for any help!

You need to get a ip software and change your ip to that country which you need to get the search results and also open local google search of that country.

Advertisement