Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

apple tv

• 31-05-2012 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I am looking to get apple tv but would want to have it jail broken and the new softwear but on to it,i have seen a few on ebay and adverts but they are way to costly.
    I have looked at how to do it myself but the instructions went straight over my head.Does anybody know of anywhere that does this service or maybe someone here could pm if want to do it for me.Goes without saying i would pay them for there time.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

harr wrote: »
    Hi
    I am looking to get apple tv but would want to have it jail broken and the new softwear but on to it,i have seen a few on ebay and adverts but they are way to costly.
    I have looked at how to do it myself but the instructions went straight over my head.Does anybody know of anywhere that does this service or maybe someone here could pm if want to do it for me.Goes without saying i would pay them for there time.
    Thanks

Note there isno jailbreak out for Atv3 only Atv2.
    Have a look on YouTube it really quite simple all you need is a micro USB cable not supplied!
    Download the the jailbreak and connect the Atv to your pc hit the jailbreak button let it do it's thing that's it.What exactly are you not understanding with the process?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

redmond pie do a good tutorial, thats the one i followed the other day to jailbreak mine.

As mentioned there is no jailbreak yet for the ATV 3, only the 2.

Before you decide, think about if you want to play back 1080p (full hd/bluray quality) or 720p (sky hd quailty) The ATV 2 will only playback 720p.

if you need or want 1080 then wait till they jailbreak the ATV 3

what do you mean too costly? 120 for a new one or around 80 - 100 for a second hand one.

edit: theres a madman on adverts trying to sell a jailbroken atv2 with extras for 280 quid. cloud cuckoo land. you should read his comments, he thinks he's totally justifed in asking it. says the atv3 will "probably never be jailbroken" pfffft what a chancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Have you checked out iClarified tutorials?

They will update the site with the ATV3 jailbreak as soon as it comes out, which i imagine will be in the next month or two.

also, RE: the madman on adverts, I left him a nice comment, i'm sure he'll just make up some random crap about how his super and awesome or else he'll just black list me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

redmond pie do a good tutorial, thats the one i followed the other day to jailbreak mine.

As mentioned there is no jailbreak yet for the ATV 3, only the 2.

Before you decide, think about if you want to play back 1080p (full hd/bluray quality) or 720p (sky hd quailty) The ATV 2 will only playback 720p.

if you need or want 1080 then wait till they jailbreak the ATV 3

what do you mean too costly? 120 for a new one or around 80 - 100 for a second hand one.

edit: theres a madman on adverts trying to sell a jailbroken atv2 with extras for 280 quid. cloud cuckoo land. you should read his comments, he thinks he's totally justifed in asking it. says the atv3 will "probably never be jailbroken" pfffft what a chancer.

http://www.adverts.ie/apple-tv/apple-tv-2-jailbroken/1676181?notification=6f5451c84c0ac2212ec38e4d4f147048-1338504379#comment_8224078is this the dreamer you are talking about i think he thinks its the last one on the planet my god for that money you can buy a htpc that will fly at 1080p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Hi
    Thanks for the replies,i am not very tech savy but looking at some of the links posted i think i will give it a go, the jailbreak looks easy enough but putting the software i want on it looks a bit tricky.
    Yes that's the add on adverts i seen and there are also a few on ebay for similar money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

ATV 3 has been jailbroken on ios 5.0.1

The link below will give you a few ideas.

I have ATV 2 jailbroken(using firecore package) and think it is excellent.

there is also a website called firecore the do a full package(paid) for the ATV(albeit only atv2 at the moment)
    It is pretty straight forward to do the jailbreak once you get good instructions,however there is configuration etc to be donce once broken and this varies from location to location depending on your own home configuration.
    I have my ATV connected by wifi to home network,i stream everything from my laptop to the ATV from an external HDD,the amount of addons available is great,especially Navi-X which is a whole other world again.

I would stay well away from the ad referenced above,asking that amount of money is criminal,he is stating the ATV3 will never be broken.Plus his attitude as a seller is not acceptable.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056200780

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ha ha that lad has upped his asking price to 300 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭corkscott

The ad should be removed from adverts as the rules state no profiteering and at €280 you would be better buying a used mac mini they make a perfect HTPC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

ATV 3 has been jailbroken on ios 5.0.1

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

The Jailbreak has been written however there is currently an issue with injecting the code into the ATV 3 becausethe surface area to exploit on the new 1080p Apple TV is much smaller than on the iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad.

was probably a bit too black and white with my statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

Hi i'm sorry for bring back up this thread.I was looking to get an apple tv just to look at flashsportsstream for soccer matches and thing like that.I don't know much about them but can somebody please tell me why there are dearer on adverts than on the apple store?What's the difference between them and what's the best.I'm sorry for all the questions and am grateful for any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

mixed up wrote: »
    Hi i'm sorry for bring back up this thread.I was looking to get an apple tv just to look at flashsportsstream for soccer matches and thing like that.I don't know much about them but can somebody please tell me why there are dearer on adverts than on the apple store?What's the difference between them and what's the best.I'm sorry for all the questions and am grateful for any help.

They're dearer on adverts mainly due to the fact that they're 2nd gen apple tv's (the apple store has 3rd gen). The benefits of the 2nd gen over the 3rd gen is that they can be jailbroken to use other apps and view streams such as you mentioned above. There is no ETA on the 3rd gen jailbreak yet so people are buying jailbroken ATV2s hence the increased price.

Someone might be able to give a better answer than me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Have jailbroken my apple tv 2. Whats the best way the stream avi files from my macbook pro to apple tv. Its the main reason I jail broke it and have xmbc installed but can't get streaming working. I have Lion running and a lot of the walkthroughs of how to stream to apple tv that I have found mention they do not work with Lion. I'm not he most tech savy so what's the easiest way I'd go about it? Any help would be much appreciated, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Jofspring wrote: »
    Have jailbroken my apple tv 2. Whats the best way the stream avi files from my macbook pro to apple tv. Its the main reason I jail broke it and have xmbc installed but can't get streaming working. I have Lion running and a lot of the walkthroughs of how to stream to apple tv that I have found mention they do not work with Lion. I'm not he most tech savy so what's the easiest way I'd go about it? Any help would be much appreciated, cheers.

Try Plex instead if you're streaming from a Mac maybe?

Otherwise, have you followed these steps for XBMC?

I stream from a HDD plugged into my router, so I can't be much more help than that I'm afraid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Jofspring wrote: »
    Download handbrake which will convert the .avi into MP4 for iTunes, open iTunes, import, hey presto your movie pops up on apple tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

yer man! wrote: »
    Download handbrake which will convert the .avi into MP4 for iTunes, open iTunes, import, hey presto your movie pops up on apple tv.

His Apple TV is jailbroken, he doesn't need to convert his files. Far too time consuming too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

massy086 wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/apple-tv/apple-tv-2-jailbroken/1676181?notification=6f5451c84c0ac2212ec38e4d4f147048-1338504379#comment_8224078is this the dreamer you are talking about i think he thinks its the last one on the planet my god for that money you can buy a htpc that will fly at 1080p

What a chancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

adox wrote: »
    What a chancer.
    ah well he has,nt found a sucker yet and i dont see him getting a buyer either :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I bought about 10 of them before the ATV 3 was released. I sell them to mates fully jailbroken will all the good addons installed, including the one I wrote myself, for about €300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

kjl wrote: »
    I bought about 10 of them before the ATV 3 was released. I sell them to mates fully jailbroken will all the good addons installed, including the one I wrote myself, for about €300

Each? :eek:

If so, some mate you are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

adox wrote: »
    Each? :eek:

If so, some mate you are!

F$%k em' :) they can all well afford it. Plus when I show it to them they are begging me for one. I throw in a 6 month Real Debrid account too, so they are happy

Advertisement