Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hurling Rankings

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

And if we had another couple of rounds if matches next week they'd be totally different again. Very little between the top teams these days. A puck of a ball here or there and the seasons of Wexford, Dublin, Clare and Cork (off the top of my head) could have been utterly different.

As a Kilkenny man you surely remember the two qualiffier games? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Call me daft but I'd still have KK faves for AI next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

And if we had another couple of rounds if matches next week they'd be totally different again. Very little between the top teams these days. A puck of a ball here or there and the seasons of Wexford, Dublin, Clare and Cork (off the top of my head) could have been utterly different.

It's great to see, hopefully we're back to something like the 90s. Only Offaly and Wexford look off the pace out of the major sides, but could be good enough on their day to spring a shock at home. Laois gave Galway a big fright this year and Carlow should have beat Wexford, be great if they could improve enough to have a genuine chance of beating one of the established sides every year, even if there ambitions of a cup were still slim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Gerry91 wrote: »
    Call me daft but I'd still have KK faves for AI next year

Not daft at all, they have won two of the last three AI and NHL titles, one mediocre championship by no means spells the end of this team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

I can't wait for next years championship. It's impossible to rank teams at the moment. There is genuinely nothing between clare cork dublin waterford limerick kilkenny and tipp. A lot depends on what type of a run a team can get. People have forgotten that the best team in this years championship by far was Dublin before they had that massive wait for the Cork game.

redlead wrote: »
    I can't wait for next years championship. It's impossible to rank teams at the moment. There is genuinely nothing between clare cork dublin waterford limerick kilkenny and tipp. A lot depends on what type of a run a team can get. People have forgotten that the best team in this years championship by far was Dublin before they had that massive wait for the Cork game.

Bit harsh on Galway there.

As bad and all as 2013 was they did make a league semi

A point away from winning an AI last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

Bit harsh on Galway there.

As bad and all as 2013 was they did make a league semi

A point away from winning an AI last year

Ah not really in my opinion. They punched above their weight last year but generally are not able to beat the above mentioned teams in the championship. They are completely gutless too. That does sound very harsh I know but they pretty much demonstrate it every year.

Not daft at all, they have won two of the last three AI and NHL titles, one mediocre championship by no means spells the end of this team.

Agree!

Although, I think a lot actually believe it does spell the end of them, amazingly. All this "end of an era" talk, it can really only be a good thing from a KK perspective to be written off!

If Fennelly and Shefflin can stay fit and the likes of Aylward, young Walsh, Phelan, Walter make the step up to senior hurling and Fogarty, Larkin, Reid etc find some form in the forward line they'll take some stopping again

redlead wrote: »
    Ah not really in my opinion. They punched above their weight last year but generally are not able to beat the above mentioned teams in the championship. They are completely gutless too. That does sound very harsh I know but they pretty much demonstrate it every year.

I dunno had they beaten Clare they may well have won the All Ireland. They've a superb recent record v Cork and Limerick didn't turn up at all in the semi the hype seemed to really get to them

They need a change in management though well and truly. A Davy Fitz like character would do them the world of good, the players are there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

I dunno had they beaten Clare they may well have won the All Ireland. They've a superb recent record v Cork and Limerick didn't turn up at all in the semi the hype seemed to really get to them

They need a change in management though well and truly. A Davy Fitz like character would do them the world of good, the players are there

Am not sure I agree that the players are in Galway.
    On a purely skill basis yes BUT at an elite level I firmly believe that mental strenght is equally as important.
    This is where Galway fall down they're not mentall strong enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Agree!

Although, I think a lot actually believe it does spell the end of them, amazingly. All this "end of an era" talk, it can really only be a good thing from a KK perspective to be written off!

If Fennelly and Shefflin can stay fit and the likes of Aylward, young Walsh, Phelan, Walter make the step up to senior hurling and Fogarty, Larkin, Reid etc find some form in the forward line they'll take some stopping again

Still the best defence in the country. A fit Fennelly is by a mile the best midfielder in the country. As you say if a few forwards step up to the plate and C Fennelly, Power, Fogarty, Reid etc can find form, they will be the team to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

My own ranking would be:
    1. Clare (up from 4rd before championship)
    2. Cork (up from 5th before championship)
    3. Dublin (up from 7th before championship)
    4. KK (down from 1st before championship)
    5. Limerick ( up from 8th before championship)
    6. Tipp (down from 3rd before championship)
    7. Galway (down from 2rd before championship)
    8. Waterford (down from 6rd before championship)
    9. Wexford ( up from 10th before championship)
    10. Offaly (down from 9nd before championship)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

My own ranking would be:
    1. Clare (up from 4rd before championship)
    2. Cork (up from 5th before championship)
    3. Dublin (up from 7th before championship)
    4. KK (down from 1st before championship)
    5. Limerick ( up from 8th before championship)
    6. Tipp (down from 3rd before championship)
    7. Galway (down from 2rd before championship)
    8. Waterford (down from 6rd before championship)
    9. Wexford ( up from 10th before championship)
    10. Offaly (down from 9nd before championship)

Are you ranking them on how they did this year or on how you expect they'll do next year?

On how people did this year I'd go with

1. Clare - Duh!

2. Cork - A puck of a ball from winning the AI, beat KK and Dublin, unlucky in the Munster final regarding the sending off

3. Limerick - Good wins against Tipp and Cork.

4. Dublin - I think people get a bit carried away with the win against Kilkenny, Kilkenny were decimated by injury and half of those left were in terrible form. They could easily have lost to Wexford the first day and beat a 14 man Wexford the next. Played great against Galway to be fair, but Galway were terrible. A good showing against Cork though and it could have gone their way were it not for Ryan O'Dwyer getting himself sent off.

5. Kilkenny - Absolutely ravaged by injury, but when they started to get a few back they managed to beat Tipp and Waterford in extra time. You never know what way the Cork match might have gone were it not for Henry Shefflin getting himself sent off.

6. Waterford - No notable wins and were quite disappointing against Clare. Decent performance against Offaly and took Kilkenny to extra time.

7. Wexford - Didn't look great or win any games, but took Clare and Dublin to replays.

8. Tipp - Disappointing compared to expectations. They played quite well in their two games.

9. Offaly - Decent showings against Kilkenny and Waterford, although were quite fortunate with the scorelines

10. Galway - Scraped by Laois and were miles behind Dublin and Clare.

I'll have to have a think about how I think teams are set for next year. The problem is there's very little between Cork, Dublin, Limerick, Tipp and Waterford. I'd probably have Clare and Kilkenny as slightly ahead of the rest. I can't see Offaly or Wexford making a jump up to the standard next year. I don't want to talk down Galway, because if the consensus changes on them I might start making less money on them in the bookies! Other than 2012 I've made money betting against them every year:D

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

blue note wrote: »
    Are you ranking them on how they did this year or on how you expect they'll do next year?
    Im ranking them from on this year performance and known form. Eg i would have had limerick ranked 7th before they played dublin (8th) in the promotion final but 8th after they lost (Dublin 7th). Ive have limerick 5th after championship because you could argue they only won 1 big game all year against tipp (munster final was against 14 + home advantage in both).

I'd think dublin are easiest 3 best after unluckily losing the semi (+leinster+promotion)

Kilkenny won the league + argue that they might have beaten cork with 15...

Outside of my top 5 im not as sure of ranking position. Waterford drawing with kilkenny probably would mean they are 6th.

Also maybe wexford should be 7th for the draws....(but would wexford beaten galway/tipp if they had met in the championship)

I give up, this year championships showed rankings mean little:D

The bookies have the cats favourites for next season, followed by clare and tipp. Cork, galway, dublin come next. limerick, waterford bring up the rear.

http://www.oddschecker.com/gaelic-games/hurling/all-ireland-senior-hurling-championship/winner

The bookies have the cats favourites for next season, followed by clare and tipp. Cork, galway, dublin come next. limerick, waterford bring up the rear.

http://www.oddschecker.com/gaelic-games/hurling/all-ireland-senior-hurling-championship/winner

Rightly so, the Cats can only improve and had quite a bit of bad luck this year

As I said earlier they've plenty of younger players who are now ready to make a step up I believe

A fully fit Fennelly and Shefflin is absolutely huge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Reading this thread sort of reminded me about Tipperary. Sort of forgotten since they were kncoked out so early.
    There are a team with potential to come back strong, and a serious point to prove.

Next year's Munster SHC will be unreal, every team will feel they should win it.

I wouldn't have Kilkenny as favourites for next year by any means, as Clare are showing it's a young man's game, and Shefflin, JJ, T.Walsh and Larkin are all getting on. Hard to see them rolling back the years at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I wonder will we see a repeat of the 1990's, where we see a mix of the traditional counties picking off the odd title, and a number of the smaller counties doing likewise?

Looking at the present situation, you couldn't rule out Limerick, Galway or Waterford winning a title in the next 5 years. Clare will probably win a second, and then the likes of Tipp, Cork and KK won't be quiet for too long either.

Advertisement