Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any chance of changing MY name on daughter's birth cert

Options
  • 31-05-2012 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

I reckon the answer to this is a big NO, but just wondering if anyone has any idea if it's possible to change my surname on my daughter's birth cert. We were married a few years when she was born and I'm not entirely sure why but I put my surname down as his surname on it, despite not having changed anything else to that name, I still use my maiden name for everything. Now I'm thinking the birth cert is basically incorrect and misleading...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

your best avenue is to contact them and ask.

i know when we registered our son that we were asked to veryify everything was correct before we signed the cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

We recently registared our little lady and we were told we could change my surname when we got married with no problems at all.. I think if you ask in your local registration centre they can do it then and there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

marlie2005 wrote: »
    We recently registared our little lady and we were told we could change my surname when we got married with no problems at all.. I think if you ask in your local registration centre they can do it then and there..

She was already married so this doesn't apply.

The only changes allowed after registration are adding a father's name if it wasn't included at the time. Other than that it requires a district court order if I remember correctly. If you specified your husband's surname then I think you will need to apply to court to have the certificate changed.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/after_your_baby_is_born/registering_birth_your_baby.html

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

Thanks for all the replies. Applying for a district court order sounds like way too much hassle to be honest and my (maiden!) name is on the cert anyway, just in a different place. And I suppose it won't be that complicated for her great great grandchildren to figure out!! At least I didn't put Lady Winklebottom on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Get some advice from a solicitor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

my name is wrong on my sons birth certificate. I am known by my second name yet when I registered his birth they put down my first name.....cue huge hassle when I applied for his first passport. I had to get a solicitor to sign and verify that I was his mother and attach my birth cert and this verification every subsequent passport. But this til be changing very soon. I asked in the births deaths and marriage office and got a form to fill in and one to add his fathers name to the birth cert and off they have been sent. I was told it would be easy enough to change and not to worry about it.
    I find it funny that my mothers date of birth is wrong on her marriage licence and she thinks that after 40yrs there is no point in changing it.

it seems to be easy for something to be put down incorrectly and even if we are asked to verify what has been written, we are so sure that what is down is correct, that we see what we want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

Oh now I'm wondering about what would happen if just the two of us are travelling abroad together... She already has a passport, her dad's was up for renewal just after she was born so their applications were sent in together. I'll be double checking what exactly it says on it tonight!

Also my parents got a copy of their wedding cert recently, and it had three mistakes on it!! One was my dad's address (think it said Foxrock instead of Fairview) and I can't remember the other two but they were fairly inconsequential, definitely not a date of birth! This was a new format typed document so I reckon the mistakes were from whoever transcribed it. Though they did say the priest was a bit doddery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

I have one copy of my daughter's birth certificate that says she was born in 2203 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

foxinsocks wrote: »
    I have one copy of my daughter's birth certificate that says she was born in 2203 :)

Is her name Suri? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Inishowen lady

My friend discovered at 23 that HER birth certificate states she is male :D
    We got endless amounts of fun out of that one!

• Advertisement
Advertisement