Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meeting the Parents

• 31-05-2012 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

So Im just back from Cork after meeting my gf's folks. It went fine and certainly much better than the first time my gf's sister's boyfriend met them where he tried to cook dinner and nearly burnt the house down:D

So any bad experiences when meeting the parents for the first time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I met my mother in law for the first time when I was running around her house squirting a water gun.

Maybe the 2nd or 3rd time my now husband met my dad, we were in um... a compromising position. Involving my mouth.
    I was only 15 or 16 - my dad went mental.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

not yet, but they think I'm a gigilo so, it's gonna be a though'un.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

went to an ex's family function - first time meeting the parents including all his family, all very prim and proper crowd :rolleyes: not what I was use to

I was extremely shy a few Hi's I'm Sarah .. well after a few drinks I was up wrecking the dance floor, swinging his granny around, telling his sisters how gorgeous they where (I remember telling one of them, " I want to be you" ) buying his 15yr old brother shots, and to top it off got sick all over his uncles car on the way home :(

So yeah it wasn't a great experience, we broke a couple of months later so never had to face them again (thank god)

Never drink and meet imo :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Back when I was in college (around 91 I think) the then GF took me to meet her parents. Her brother answered the door and said that England had just scored against Ireland (It was a Euro qualifier at Wembley I think). I thought he had said the opposite and went "Yesssssssss!" only to see dearest papa giving me the evil eye.

Back when I was in college (around 91 I think) the then GF took me to meet her parents. Her brother answered the door and said that England had just scored against Ireland (It was a Euro qualifier at Wembley I think). I thought he had said the opposite and went "Yesssssssss!" only to see dearest papa giving me the evil eye.

God, you were dreadfully old starting college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Her parents had died before i arrived on the scene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

get back on the boat ;)

Her parents had died before i arrived on the scene

I'm sure that's what you told the police too.

(okay, I really have to stop now.
    Fairly sure I'm the only one who finds me hilarious!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

No funny stories at all about this. first boyfriends parents were fairly quiet, and not very social at all. didn't really make much effort with me. they did have a thing about us not being in his room alone for too long, which was very bloody annoying. you'd to watch everything you did around the house.

second bf's dad already knew my dad, as they worked and still do work together. I suppose the way our two families seemed to have interlinked several times over in past years was funny and made it all a bit less daunting. they almost felt like my family too.

have yet to meet the third bf's parents. i'm being kept away. I can only assume it's because he's afraid his father and/or brother will take me away from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

have yet to meet the third bf's parents. i'm being kept away. I can only assume it's because he's afraid his father and/or brother will take me away from him.

are you sure his wife wont mind ya being there after all she is probably looking after his parents in their old age?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

are you sure his wife wont mind ya being there after all she is probably looking after his parents in their old age?

yeah she's a bit of a bitch by the sound of it, so she probably would tear my hair out. hmmm, looks like i'm better being hidden away. though...i have seen pictures of his brother...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

The mum was called Geraldine, or Ger for short. Spent the whole weekend saying to the dad 'Howarya Ger', real confidently for some reason. Nobody corrected me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

I got on great with the exes Dad, been with the Ex for about six months before I actually had to meet his mother. If I had met her before that I probably wouldn't have stayed with him. My God she was a b!tch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

An old gf's father didn't like me very much. He told me if I broke his daughter's heart, he'd break my legs. I replied with "what if I break her pelvis?" - I found out fast that he didn't have much of a sense of humor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Always more nerve-wracking meeting the kids than the parents. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

My girlfriends brother and sister are adopted.

The first time I met her mother was the first time I met the kids as well (they were about three at the time)

I asked her Mam (just mins after meeting her) "Are they twins"

Her: "No there is 6 weeks between them"

Me: "Oh ok......... Are they brother and sister?"

Her: "Well, no.. Think about it"

Me: " :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Well, was very odd as her father took the mick out of the fact that I was working as a male nurse at the time. He didn't take to me at first at all and I felt he would have preferred that his daughter had never broke up with her 'perfect' ex who (unbelievably) he just happened to have invited over to dinner that same night.

The oddest thing of all was that the guy owned a polygraph machine and while we were looking at it, he asked me could he hook me up to it (for a laugh I agreed) but then he starting asking me real serious personal questions about his daughter and had I ever taken drugs before. Oh and owned this evil cat but that's a whole other thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

So so so so so so so what :confused:

Sigh

Well, was very odd as her father took the mick out of the fact that I was working as a male nurse at the time. He didn't take to me at first at all and I felt he would have preferred that his daughter had never broke up with her 'perfect' ex who (unbelievably) he just happened to have invited over to dinner that same night.

The oddest thing of all was that the guy owned a polygraph machine and while we were looking at it, he asked me could he hook me up to it (for a laugh I agreed) but then he starting asking me real serious personal questions about his daughter and had I ever taken drugs before. Oh and owned this evil cat but that's a whole other thread.
    Royal Tenenbaums, love that movie!

jest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Just how old is your girlfriend? do we need to alert the authorities?
    link_2007 wrote: »
    My girlfriends brother and sister are adopted.

The first time I met her mother was the first time I met the kids as well (they were about three at the time)

I asked her Mam (just mins after meeting her) "Are they twins"

Her: "No there is 6 weeks between them"

Me: "Oh ok......... Are they brother and sister?"

Her: "Well, no.. Think about it"

Me: " :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Never met the parents myself but one of my friends brought me to her house after a night out. She was with a guy at the time.
    Next thing you know her dad walks in an catches me drinking his vodka. He didn't say anything but assumed I was the boyfriend and just came kind of close to me, looked me up and down with a look of pure disgust and walked away without one word.

My friend's bf came shortly after and my friend introduced him to her dad.
    He did the same to him and with a sigh of relief said "at least it's not that alcoholic pr*ck your with!"

I had the right mind to tell him that at least I wasn't cheating on his daughter...fckin asswipe!:mad:

EDIT:
    Actually when I was 10, I met my girlfriend's parents. Not at the house or anything though.
    They loved me but had I been 5 years older the story prob would have been very different!
    Looking back, it was so embarrassing:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The first time I met the inlaws I got into a real akward situation which basically involved me having to explain milking a cat. Her father was a total nut job and he later gave me a polygraph test; I then accidentally broke her sisters nose just days before her wedding, burnt down the chapel in which her sister was getting married, lost the family cat and was suspected of being a pot smoker. After it was all over I then had an incident with the airline and got arrested over they trying to check my bags. They got my bags mixed up on the outward bound flight and they contained a load of bondage gear and sex toys, which her father found and presumed was my luggage.

I had it rough!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

met my first gf's parents, their well bet up their own arse...

wealthy, snobby, you name it.

so basically theirs me and her sitting on the sofa watchin t.v, they walk in and give me the 21 questions; no bother at all until they ask what i want to do with my life, i mention computers, they laugh saying theirs no money in it...

Thier now broke, im doing fine atm, if anything things cant get any better as far as i can see but they where always pure awkward in that sense... just because im not upper middle class ( though well enough spoken, manners and somewhat neet apperence... meh; nothings good enough for my little darling...

shes with some northside junkie now... Can only imagine how happy they are ! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

jest

Meet the Fockers:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

With one ex, the first time I met her parents was when I went to stay with them for a few days at New Years. Now that I think about it, we'd only been going out a few weeks, it was a crazy thing to do!

One of the nights, we went with her parents to a karaoke bar. Her dad had told me that he would pay for my drinks all night. When he caught me trying to pay for one, he gave me a friendly bollocking and assured me it was no problem for him to buy all my drinks. You can see where this is going...

Fast forward a few hours, many JD and cokes, telling my ex's mother (who I barely knew) how amazing she was and a hilarious rendition of 'Let's Dance' (it's one of my favourite songs but in my drunk state I forgot the words and was so pissed I couldn't read them properly on the screen), we were driving home. I had to get out of the car twice on the way home to throw up (it was only a ten minute drive). When we got home, I spent half the night throwing up.

Thankfully, my ex outdid me in all departments by somehow getting even drunker than me. Her highlights included singing 'Like a Virgin' with me sat beside her auld lad and singing a medley of totally unrelated songs in the car all the way home. When we got back to the house, she was really hyper and drunk and ended up trashing their ping-pong table while trying to play. To top it, because I was hogging the upstairs bathroom, she had to go down to the one in the basement when she wanted to throw up... only she didn't make it and ended up puking all over the hallway, just in front of the front door.

Surprisingly, her parents were always really nice to me, were always telling me how much they liked me and how I was such a good influence on their daughter (:eek:). They're German too so I'm pretty sure they were genuine statements.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The first time I met my missus' parents, I had to tell them that they were going to become grandparents.
    What made it even more difficult is that they dont speak any English. And at the time, my German was worse than schiesse. Fun times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

First time I met my now mother-in-law she asked if I had a good sturdy bed to give her daughter a rattle! :eek:
    (or words to that effect)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

I met an ex-boyfriend's father at their house, they were having a BBQ so I brought some food I had prepared, including some spicy chilli. My ex-boyfriend's father looked at the chilli suspiciously and then told me "Now make sure you don't sit beside any black people on the train if you have food like this, sure they're mad for that kind of stuff, hahaha, they'd take it right off you and scoff it, hahaha" and then nudged me as if it was hilarious. :eek:

Turns out he was not only a racist but also a bigot, an alcoholic and an all-around wanker. Lucky escape on my part that he never ended up my father-in-law.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

Not quite the first, but the third encounter with the misses dad.
    First was a hi, how are you. Second was a high how are you...

Third encounter was a.....Do you play golf Mr Angeles?
    "Sure thing" I said, "I used to play it a lot when i was younger. Ahh grand he said sure lets have a game and get to know eachother.

-Follow 5 hours of climbing a mountain swinging and carrying clubs in 30 degree's mid-day sun.

The end results: Several muscles still now inoperable, 1st degree burns on neck, arms, ears and face, mild sun stroke, strong dehydration, several blisters on feet and to top it off... i lost
    I'm still avoiding him..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Maybe the 2nd or 3rd time my now husband met my dad, we were in um... a compromising position. Involving my mouth.
    I was only 15 or 16 - my dad went mental.
    Happened to us all :o:o
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    Always more nerve-wracking meeting the kids than the parents. :D
    Yes I agree 100% :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I went out with a girl before and her ma used to flirt with me.

I so nearly did and looking back, I should have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

stovelid wrote: »

You should have what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Dr.Strange wrote: »

You should have what?

Shagged the old bird.

Dr.Strange wrote: »
    You should have what?

It.

Shagged the old bird.

Oh I see.

I thought he meant flirt back or something.

• Advertisement

Shagged the old bird.

I'm shamed now. I opted for a smart answer but you were kind of enough to do some voluntary remedial work.

I'm shamed now. I opted for a smart answer but you were kind of enough to do some voluntary remedial work.

I didn't see any smart answer?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭cml387

I though that was a film about first world war aeroplanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Susie_Q wrote: »
    I met an ex-boyfriend's father at their house, they were having a BBQ so I brought some food I had prepared, including some spicy chilli. My ex-boyfriend's father looked at the chilli suspiciously and then told me "Now make sure you don't sit beside any black people on the train if you have food like this, sure they're mad for that kind of stuff, hahaha, they'd take it right off you and scoff it, hahaha" and then nudged me as if it was hilarious. :eek:

Turns out he was not only a racist but also a bigot, an alcoholic and an all-around wanker. Lucky escape on my part that he never ended up my father-in-law.

Well done Susie_Q,

You have morals. A good quality.
    John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

The first time I met my ex's family was when a relative of theirs was back from the US for a visit so they had this big family dinner. I wanted to contribute to the conversation but couldn't think of anything to say until he mentioned he was from New York.

So I piped up about a news article I'd read recently about the subway in New York ... and basically ended up explaining to everyone at the dinner table how all the homeless bums were electrocuting themselves by píssing on the third rail.

I just could NOT stop.

Later, I was holding the ex's 18-month-old niece and playing a game where I'd snap my teeth shut and she'd pull her hand away. It was all laughter until the stupid child forgot to pull her hand away and I bit her.

Luckily no-one saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

LittleBook wrote: »
    Later, I was holding the ex's 18-month-old niece and playing a game where I'd snap my teeth shut and she'd pull her hand away. It was all laughter until the stupid child forgot to pull her hand away and I bit her.

Luckily no-one saw.

i just almost choked on a biscuit that was so funny!! have this image of you just chomping on the kid's hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

jest

Meet the parents :cool:

bambera wrote: »

Really? Shít, I feel pretty stupid now :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

first time i met the parents of my wife to be in 2 days i was blind drunk, couldnt speak and kept belching from the drink.
    got the nice stuff out of the way early:)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

Really? Shít, I feel pretty stupid now :o

That was more for shopaholic01's benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

first time i met the parents of my wife to be in 2 days

Maybe it's the beer but congratulations in advance.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Met mine at the "stations." Aunites did all but trot me up and down and check my teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Rebelkell

Met an ex on new years eve and was invited back to her dads pub with a few other of her mates. I was well locked and fell asleep on the counter of the bar. Was woken up by a finger probing my head. When I looked up her rather large father was going Who is this to my ex. This is "rebelkell" dad she say's. To which he replied well rebelkell 'what are you having' while gestering to the beer pumps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

bambera wrote: »

I'm doubly stupid:o

Firstly, didn't see the 'jest' at the bottom of the post, and then named the wrong movie :D.

In my defence I was very tired earlier - I really should have a snooze before posting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement