Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Perth On 457

Options
  • 31-05-2012 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I've just been offered a job in Perth. I'm a power linesman and electrician. The jobs in Bentley. I was just wondering if anyone had any info on nice places to rent south of the river . I'll be travelling on my own and what kind of money would you call a decent wage. Ive been offered 38 dollars an hour. What would some expect to pay for rent Or a pint or eating out etc... And is life all that good over there at the moment ?
    Thanks in advance . Niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Even if you work a minimum of 38 hours per week at $38 that is around $75k per year. I'd call that a decent enough wage. Victoria Park is nice, lots of life on the strip, close to the city and on the river. Just down the road from Bentley too. Lots of options for unit rentals but you might want to consider sharing a place to start with. Saves you the hassle of organizing furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Thats enough to enjoy yourself in Perth and save some once you dont go mad.
    Rent varies from $150 to infinity.

Pints go from $8 to $16 depending where you are. Carton of Corona is about $50.
    Life is pretty good here, especially if you like outdoor activities like cycling, the beach, surfing or if you want to do something new well its all here.
    There are AFL clubs, tennis clubs, squash, lawn bowls in every suburb.

Its a bit colder here now think 20 to 23 during the day) with rain some days but nothing serious.

When are you thinking of coming out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Scrappylad wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I've just been offered a job in Perth. I'm a power linesman and electrician. The jobs in Bentley. I was just wondering if anyone had any info on nice places to rent south of the river . I'll be travelling on my own and what kind of money would you call a decent wage. Ive been offered 38 dollars an hour. What would some expect to pay for rent Or a pint or eating out etc... And is life all that good over there at the moment ?
    Thanks in advance . Niall
    Is there a reason why you aee going straight onto a 457 visa? Are you too old for a whv? Its just that you would be tied to one company. If the job doesn't work out then you may find yourself on a plane home. It also rules out the possibility of working in the mines where you could make double that.

He's not tied to one company, once he had another employer who will take over his sponsorship he can change company.
    Also if he can come over on sponsorship he should. It would mean if he went home again he could always come back on his first WHV.

Everybody wants to work in the mines and make double but you have to get in. This guy has far more chance of doing that if he comes over and has employment experience from Australia and Australian contacts.

In my opinion your advice is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 joeyeire

Heading over that way myself to the same area probably the same company. I'll be based in Bentley as a cable jointer on about 85k a year
    The linesman job is away from home for 9 days out 0f 12 with $200 lafha per day. your probably gonna be making about 120 to 130 k a year with a few hours a week
    Get your self a room in a house instead of renting a full house if you are going on your own
    You'll save money depending on your social life its very easy to drop $400 to $500 dollars on a good night out in Perth
    There are plenty of things to see and do down the south west especially as an alternative.
    You don't wanna be working down a mine if it can be avoided even if the money is better, going down in the dark and coming back up in the dark. I've been there not nice along with the obvious dangers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

joeyeire wrote: »
    You'll save money depending on your social life its very easy to drop $400 to $500 dollars on a good night out in Perth

They must be seriously high end hookers for someone to spend that much.

if you popped down the rotto pub and got 10 pints of shandy = $180 similar prices for Magners cider which I unfortunately drink (its made locally at home) put a nightclub charge a few more drinks a meal and a taxi on the tab no Hookers needed mate

$18 for a pint of shandy? Must be dreamland your living in mate and not Perth.

check out wa today website for more info on that shandy rip off
    and what about magners?

Stick up a link there I can't find it.

Last time I bought a magners it was $11.

• Advertisement

He got charged that $18 on rottnest island and it was because he got charged for a full price lemonade and beer.

ok my bad

Yeah but no doubt the cost of things in Perth is high and if you don't keep an eye on prices it's easy to spend big

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

If you feel you are being ripped off you just leave. Some places charge crazy money for a pint but it is up to you whether you are willing to pay it or not.

Advertisement