Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever caught the same fish?

Options
  • 31-05-2012 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone ever caught the same fish before
    I was fishing The dodder other day and hooked a monster of a fish a lovely golden wild browny fraught him for at least 3 mins nearly had him landed and he took more line and went around a dead tree and snapped the line
    Today went same spot and he chased after the minnow I had on knew it was the same fish by its colour and size looks about 2 half maybe 3 lb
    Anyone ever caught same fish is the question tho

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Happened on cloughter beach to my da before, he kept catching the same poxy dogfish, i think he caught it 3 times in one night. You could tell it was the same one because there was a cut on its mouth where he had taken the hook out and released him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

No doubt it happens a lot without being realised for fish that are returned. Sometimes there might be a distinctive mark on a fin etc that might be recognised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Just wondering if anyone ever caught the same fish before
    I was fishing The dodder other day and hooked a monster of a fish a lovely golden wild browny fraught him for at least 3 mins nearly had him landed and he took more line and went around a dead tree and snapped the line
    Today went same spot and he chased after the minnow I had on knew it was the same fish by its colour and size looks about 2 half maybe 3 lb
    Anyone ever caught same fish is the question tho

You must have better eyes than a heron.
    never did my cousin caught a 70lb carp in France in 1987 she was caught before him and after.
    I doubt many trout escape to fight another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tonytoc11

I was spinning for bass one day and hooked a fish and as I was reeling it in I noticed it get a lot heavier. When I landed it I had the bass I hooked and another bass with a hook in its mouth and a load of gut off of it that got tangled on my line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Yes often and sometimes on consecutive nights and these are wild brown river trout. For this reason I move up and down the river so im targeting different fish each evening. A guy I know has photos of a river brown he caught from the same pool from two different seasons. Was around 4lbs I think and clearly the same fish easily identified by the pattern of spots on its gill cover. It had gained weight and length the next year.
    Last year I hooked a large brown 3 different nights before finally landing it. Straightened the hook first night, broke me the next was delighted when I finally landed it. Went back the next night and it was rising away happily. I left it in peace.
    Few years ago I returned a rainbow with some damage. Rolled a fag, cast out, hooked and landed the greedy bugger again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Well that's why I went to same spot I was fuming bout losing it that I had to get a proper look at it
    Was pure golden with big red spots on it
    And I'd release it back as its like history between us now :)
    Gonna give it two days and go down again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Last year fishing the carpark in monkstown my trace snapped while casting. Rigged up again and cast out. Hooked a dogfish a short while later with both my baited trace and the trace I had lost in his mouth. Got me trace back :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Once caught the same jack pike twice on the one day, about 2 hours apart. It's a nice endorsement to the people who think catch and release doesn't work and that it stresses out fish too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

viper123 wrote: »
    Once caught the same jack pike twice on the one day, about 2 hours apart. It's a nice endorsement to the people who think catch and release doesn't work and that it stresses out fish too much.

Ha, happened me to a the Shannon Erne waterway. Parked the boat up for the night in Ballyconnel and caught a 6lb pike in the evening and in the morning the girlfriends brother in law caught the same pike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I caught the same pike three times in three years on the canal a few years ago. Identifiable by a missing pectoral fin and a noticeable scar on the flank. Was about 11lbs each time. From the same swim more or less.

My dads current PB trout and a friends previous PB trout of just over 4lbs was the same fish. Caught a year apart from two close by swims from a river. Identified by spot patterns in pictures.

Once also got snagged on a reef while playing a pollock and snapped off. Two minutes later my mate landed the same fish with my trace still in its mouth. on the drift in 150 feet of water :)

• Advertisement

I actually remember years ago over the dodder beside firhouse under red bridge an eel lived there and used to always take a worm in a season I'd catch him bout ten times he disappeared bout 5 year ago and these German lads said they caught an eel was kinda gutted that eel had more piercins in his lip than a goth
    Sure it's all memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

It's common enough. I know several Pike anglers who photograph every fish they catch for identification purposes and they record the same fish several times between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

i have caught brown trout that have been caught before and even got one with a fly in its mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

It has happened to me a few times with pike. The quickest recapture was about 20 years ago at a competition on Glaslough lake on the Castle Leslie estate. I was fishing on the shallow sandy shore. I had waded well out and hooked a pike. The angler beside me said he would weigh and witness. We waded back to shore and quickly weighed and returned the pike. The pike was 4.5 lbs and had a big scar and part of its tail missing. It was an old scar. I baited up again and waded out to the same spot. I cast out a roach deadbait and started to reel in when I got another take. When I lifted the pike out of the water I was surprised to see it was the same fish. The angler beside me said no need to weigh it as we knew it was 4.5 lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Caught the same carp a few times. Same with pike.
    Most notably a 19lb pike at the overflow in Blessington one year during the winter, it was very distinguishable by two large scars on its back and flank, caught it a couple of years later near the Kings river (opposite end of the resivior) weighed 21lbs.

Most notably a 19lb pike at the overflow in Blessington one year during the winter, it was very distinguishable by two large scars on its back and flank, caught it a couple of years later near the Kings river (opposite end of the resivior) weighed 21lbs.
    Funny enough I used to alway fish there and years ago I caught a jack pike and another pike grabbed it and let go
    After I unhooked it I released it as it seemed to have good chance of survival
    Wonder if it was same fish this was ages ago now going back over ten years or more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Funny enough I used to alway fish there and years ago I caught a jack pike and another pike grabbed it and let go
    After I unhooked it I released it as it seemed to have good chance of survival
    Wonder if it was same fish this was ages ago now going back over ten years or more

Would have been near enough 10 years ago for me too so doubt it.
    I've had larger pike grab smaller pike a number of times too, makes the heart skip a beat when your not expecting it:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 HenryAt

I have never heard of anyone catching the same pike years apart. The only time something like that happened was a good while ago. It was day out fishing with my brother. He caught a large fish then lost it due to a snag. Ten minutes later I was into the same fish. I know this as I had to remove my brothers lure. LoL!

While

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

i had the same pike twice in 8 days last march, on the same stretch of river.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

A freind of my marks the pike he catches with a permanent marker so he knows if he ever catches the same pike again.I have never caught the same fish again though usually because the end up in my stomach :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Snowc wrote: »
    A freind of my marks the pike he catches with a permanent marker so he knows if he ever catches the same pike again.I have never caught the same fish again though usually because the end up in my stomach :D

would that not wash off? its very easy to recognise pike as their markings are different for every fish. I dont want to sound patronising, but fish should be returned in the same condition they were caught.

I like catching the same pike twice to make sure they live after the first capture, but I never "target" them. it gets a bit like carp fishing then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Snowc wrote: »

I doubt the those markers are that permanent.

Advertisement