Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night before Leaving Cert advise?

Options
  • 31-05-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

To the students who have done the LC.

We've all been advised by teachers etc. to "get a good nights sleep", before each exam.

But for the mocks I ended up staying up late into the night cramming, until I had gone over all of the most relevant information, so I could refresh myself. (With this, I was very happy with mock results.)

I'm afraid if I haven't read it the night before I may not remember some things.

Thus, What are you guys doing the night before sleep or cram or other?

what would you advise ?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

Get a good night's sleep, or you'll burn yourself out.

And you're probably better off posting this in the LC forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Learn the difference between 'advise' and 'advice' before English Paper I.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

El Siglo wrote: »
    Learn the difference between 'advise' and 'advice' before English Paper I.

:confused: I would think advise is fine.

Regarding the OP, I would agree with VALIS on both points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Proper sleep is underrated, going into an exam fresh is much more beneficial imo. You should have everything properly covered by the day before an exam anyway, so those extra few hours are much better spent getting a good sleep in my experience.

If you're worried about keeping things fresh in your mind then get up half an hour early and have a quick read through the important points to remember. Mnemonics etc. to trigger essay points, for example, I find helpful. Have a few A4 sheets with the essentials on it so you can easily scan it while having breakfast, on the bus/car on the way in or something.

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    :confused: I would think advise is fine.

Regarding the OP, I would agree with VALIS on both points.

In the thread title in should be 'advice', 'advise' in the OP is fine. The title doesn't make sense with a verb at the end.

Pedantism ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

EDmon wrote: »
    To the students who have done the LC.

We've all been advised by teachers etc. to "get a good nights sleep", before each exam.

But for the mocks I ended up staying up late into the night cramming, until I had gone over all of the most relevant information, so I could refresh myself. (With this, I was very happy with mock results.)

I'm afraid if I haven't read it the night before I may not remember some things.

Thus, What are you guys doing the night before sleep or cram or other?

what would you advise ?

Thank you.

What I tend to do is go to sleep early and get up early. Just grabbing a bite to eat before rushing out for a seriously important exam is a bit of a nightmare. :eek:

Bed at 10pm, up at 5am - that's a solid seven hours' sleep, but leaving you with four hours (possibly 3 hours' revision) before a 9am exam! :cool: Even if little more sticks, it's more likely to get you into the 'zone'... provided you don't do any mad panic revision (omg omg omg I think I'll study a different comparative text with two hours to go till English paper 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

After a leaving cert and college exams, for me personally, its better to get some sleep.

The staying up to 1am system works until the night after when your wrecked early in the evening. So don't plan on it, if you know what I mean. If you have a sleep pattern stick to it.

And unless your an already heavy caffeine based product user, I would avoid stuff like Red Bull etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

WeeBushy wrote: »
    In the thread title in should be 'advice', 'advise' in the OP is fine. The title doesn't make sense with a verb at the end.

Pedantism ftw.

Surely this is a cunning ruse. Otherwise :eek:

LUPE wrote: »
    Surely this is a cunning ruse. Otherwise :eek:

Pedantism - n. the act of a pedant.

Maybe I'm setting myself up, but I don't see anything wrong with that...

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

WeeBushy wrote: »

Pedantism ftw.

Yeah, I was just looking at the post itself. Confusion cleared up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Get a good night sleep and relax. If you need to stay up till 1 - 2am to cram you're not going to do yourself any favours, you'll wake up tired and stressed. Instead go to bed around 10 and accept the position you're in, you'll perform better as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

There's a big difference between cramming 3 months of work in one night opposed to 2 years of work in one night. Just go and sleep and get up early to revise.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

There's a big difference between cramming 3 months of work in one night opposed to 2 years of work in one night. Just go and sleep and get up early to revise.

This.

Leave the risk taking until a time when the consequences aren't as steep, it is easier to recover from a botched Uni exam than an LC exam. Cramming is a contingency that's not ideal as it does hamper your performance (I find), but not as risky a proposition for us as LC students when we have the option of repeating if worst does come to worst!

Advertisement