Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Boiled Eggs

Options
  • 31-05-2012 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭

For the last couple of weeks, I've been eating 2-3 hard boiled eggs a day. I only eat the white and always leave the yolk as I've heard that it's just full of cholesterol.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if this is the right way to go about it. What benefits are gained from eating eggs. I know there's a lot of protein in the white but what else is there?

Also, what would be the optimum number of eggs that I should eat daily and how many calories would be in hard boiled egg if I just eat the white.

Thanks for any helpful answers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I think about half the 80 calories are in the yolk, but you're missing out on a lot of the goodness of the egg, namely choline, vitamin A, E, D, iodine and more!

Most of your cholesterol is synthesised in your liver, what you don't eat, you make. All the latest research on eggs has debunked the notion that they cause heart disease, they are more likely to prevent it.

Generally I say eat as much as you want, you get very tired of eggs before you eat too much, it's called being 'egged-out', it happens to a lot of people on low carb diets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

eggs are a super food - eat loads, eat them whole. But can I ask what it is you are trying to achieve ? is there a reason you are eating so many ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Is there a best time from cold/hot to boil an egg for? for a taste/health point of view?
    or does it depend on preference?
    I usually boil the kettle first and then pop the water (and egg/s) into the hot water and boil, find its quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

RobAMerc wrote: »
    eggs are a super food - eat loads, eat them whole. But can I ask what it is you are trying to achieve ? is there a reason you are eating so many ?

I just basically trying to eat healthier and lose a bit of weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Suas11 wrote: »

Im not sure eating loads of eggs would help in weight loss, I'd consider a balanced diet and count the calories in what you eat and relate that to your levels of activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Merch wrote: »
    Im not sure eating loads of eggs would help in weight loss, I'd consider a balanced diet and count the calories in what you eat and relate that to your levels of activity.

It would if the OP was on a low carb diet but I won't make any assumptions. Since reading the countless threads on here about eggs, I have never thrown away a yolk. Tasty and doesn't deserve the bad rep it has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I only take the yoke out when it comes to making an omelette...

I tend to have a 6 egg omelette most days after the gym or for lunch...1 whole egg and 5 whites, I only take them out because of the calories TBH, my current omelettes tend to be around 400-500cals, with all the yokes, I don't want to know...Yes I do pack my omelettes with a whole lot of stuff:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I eat at least 3 or 4 a day, sometimes as many as 7 though.

A large egg white would have less than 20 calories, most of the calories come from the yolk.
    I don't worry about the cholestrol, I don't think it's a problem so I never seperate the yolks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 robertjack780

Eggs are great for the eyes. An egg a day may prevent macular degeneraton due to the carotenoid content, specifically lutein and zeaxanthin. Both nutrients are more readily available to our bodies from eggs than from other sources.The people who eat eggs every day lower their risk of developing cataracts, also because of the lutein and zeaxanthin in eggs.

You should eat 40 whole eggs per week. 5 to 6 eggs daily at breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Eggs are great for the eyes. An egg a day may prevent macular degeneraton due to the carotenoid content, specifically lutein and zeaxanthin. Both nutrients are more readily available to our bodies from eggs than from other sources.The people who eat eggs every day lower their risk of developing cataracts, also because of the lutein and zeaxanthin in eggs.

Straight from here, errors and all

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-health-benefits-of-eggs.html

http://stronglifts.com/cholesterol-saturated-fat-how-many-eggs-daily/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭tattykitty

:eek:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bang_bang_rosie

You're correct that eggs contain these nutrients, but so do spinach and kale (although higher when cooked than raw). Very little other food sources contain anywhere near the amount we need. So we don't have to eat THAT many eggs (do we?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

i go through at least 50 eggs a week.if i could afford more i would.they are a brilliant source of protein and fats.

also for all you "know it all's" out there........HALF THE PROTEIN IS IN THE YOLK!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Suas11 wrote: »

Nice key to life

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/heston-blumenthal/soft-boiled-eggs-recipe

Some people prefer to eat just the white as it is the original food for the yoke...

Advertisement