Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Fly Fishing Clubs in Wicklow?

Options
  • 31-05-2012 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Looking for a fly fishing club in Wicklow to teach me fly fishing, No children, Just Teenagers and adults. Anyone know of a good one? Maybe If possible a cheap one? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Looking for a fly fishing club in Wicklow to teach me fly fishing, No children, Just Teenagers and adults. Anyone know of a good one? Maybe If possible a cheap one? Thanks
    Annamoe trout fishery does lessons - not sure on group prices though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

As someone who is relatively new to fly fishing in Wicklow I think ihave a good idea as to where you are coming from. I picked up a 7/8 weight Abu Garcia kit and went for a lesson.

I started with a lesson in Annamoe, I took up their special offer of €35 for a 2 hour lesson, rent of rod & net, full days fishing. If you have your own gear then Brian will help you to get it setup properly.

A two hour lesson followed by fishing for the rest of the day will get you well on your way and let you know if fly fishing is for you or not.

An expensive but worth it for an occasional treat is Tinnahinch Fishery near Powerscourt. It is a bit pricey at €30 for 3 hours but the fish are big, strong and fight like bejaysus - guaranteed to leave you with a huge grin, just use a 12lb leader!.

Once you get the hang of things then you have a few handy club options:

the Dodder(I know that it isn't in Wicklow but it is too good to miss - membership is only about a tenner for the year for river fishing and Bohernabrenna, you can get sorted in Rory's.

Rathdrum Angling club - The Avonmore river, seems to be a friendly and active club with the added benefit that you dont have to watch the obituary column for 5 years in order to get membership.

The Vartry Angling Club - The Ashtown Reservoir just outside Wicklow town (day tickets from the Wicklow Arms Hotel) and lower reaches of the Vartry river. Very friendly and welcoming, just joined up myself last week.

There are a few other clubs about but it I found that it is virtually impossible to get in contact with them and for others it seems to be a case of dead mans boots and waiting list of several years or clubs with serious internal issues that a beginner really doesn't need to be part of.

Advertisement