Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Efficient HDMI Mini Barebones PC build

Options
  • 31-05-2012 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking for a mini barebones PC, for watching movies, youtube streaming and some web games. I have a 30GB SSD so will be using a linux distro, not sure which one, maybe mint.

Anyone got a recommendation.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You're probably best off picking the bones yourself.

What do you need? Case, CPU, RAM, motherboard? DVD drive?

Budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

http://www.dabs.ie/products/msi-dc100-white-amd-e450-2gb-320gb-no-os-7PKV.html?src=3

What about something like this if you are only going to be using it as a htpc .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

what's your budget?

my server would be similar to your requirements.

I'm on my phone but if you go on hardwareversand.de its the

thermaltake elementsQ case
    m itx z68 board (though you can opt for a cheaper H61 version (and still use onboard HD2000)
    Pentium G620 (or better if you can splash)
    low profile RAM.

job done. that'll use almost nothing (about 9W at idle)

Here's the build that Tea Bag was talking about, but I've been scabbier with the motherboard and CPU. You can upgrade these if you want. The CPU with integrated GPU will easily plough through HD videos. Not bad for a celeron as it's actually a dual core and very efficient. You could spend a bit more on the motherboard and get something more feature-filled and long lasting but it's an extra €40 before you can reach the decent ones.

Item|Price
    Thermaltake Element Q, mini-ITX, 200W-Netzteil|€52.83
    ASRock H61M-ITX, Sockel 1155, ITX|€61.24
    Intel Celeron G530 Box, LGA1155|€36.91
    LG GH24NS bare schwarz|€16.54
    4GB-Kit G-Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€21.03
    be quiet! SFX Power BQT SFX 300W|€40.98
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€248.52

Edit: Oh yeah, you could get a low profile cooler that would be quieter than the Intel one but it's hard to get something good that won't go cover slots.

Edit 2: Forgot the PSU. Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Monotype wrote: »
    Here's the build that Tea Bag was talking about, but I've been scabbier with the motherboard and CPU. You can upgrade these if you want. The CPU with integrated GPU will easily plough through HD videos. Not bad for a celeron as it's actually a dual core and very efficient. You could spend a bit more on the motherboard and get something more feature-filled and long lasting but it's an extra €40 before you can reach the decent ones.

Item|Price
    Thermaltake Element Q, mini-ITX, 200W-Netzteil|€52.83
    ASRock H61M-ITX, Sockel 1155, ITX|€61.24
    Intel Celeron G530 Box, LGA1155|€36.91
    LG GH24NS bare schwarz|€16.54
    4GB-Kit G-Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€21.03
    be quiet! SFX Power BQT SFX 300W|€40.98
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€248.52

Edit: Oh yeah, you could get a low profile cooler that would be quieter than the Intel one but it's hard to get something good that won't go cover slots.

Edit 2: Forgot the PSU. Fixed.
    the case has a 220W psu built in.

also, the low profile cooler has to be the height of the stock Intel cooler, or less, cause it touches the top of the psu as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Ok cool! looking good I should have mentioned budget its about 300+/- would a decent spec dual core blow the budget? I would need to play a few 6GB HD movies, would like it to be fairly future proof 4 - 5 years.

That would play HD films no problem. 6GB or not. Probably runs at fairly low usage too. If you really want it to be more useful, get a Z68 or Z77 board. Realistically, most the extra features will go unused in this situation. That would be more in thinking if you were to switch it for desktop use to avail of 6Gbps SATA, overclocking, additional SATA ports.

Advertisement