Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to find a watch for a traithlon

Options
  • 31-05-2012 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone. :)

I've decided to splash out and treat myself to a nice little watch for a triathlon. The main features I would like are for are:

-Water resistant
    -Few different alarms
    -GPS
    -A decent light for night training/early morning training
    -Heart rate monitor would be nice, but not entirely necessary
    -Ability to upload data
    -Stopwatch

This will be my first watch so I'm not entirely sure about what features I should be looking for, so if anyone has any suggestions fire away. :) I basically just want something that will record my distance and time for runs, swims and cycles. It'd be nice if it could calculate my average speed as well.

An issue I have with most watches is that I have tiny wrists. So I would probably have to look for something that is geared towards women like this:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Timex-Womens-T5K026-Ironman-Sleek-Digital-Resin-Strap-Watch-NEW-/280872075707?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item416547c1bb#ht_927wt_1139

The one problem I've noticed with a lot of the Timex Women's watches though is that they have a lot of complaints saying they aren't as water resistant as they say they are.

Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Saw nobody had replied, so here goes...

If you need a gps watch, you're looking at a Garmin, Timex or Polar most likely.
    There are some others such as expensive Suunto, little known Soleus, Magellan, Motorola MotoActv & maybe some more.
    Best place to look is DC Rainmakers site for full detailed reviews on everything the watches can & can't do.

The problem with tiny wrists will limit you to a sub section of watches, but just so you know, the watch you linked is not GPS, in case you thought it was.

Do you have a budget in mind - this will help people guide you towards some recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Hi thanks for the reply! :)

I realised I didn't give much information, hadn't done too much research before I posted this.

Do you have any idea if I could find a watch that would be suited for runs that would also be able to clip onto a bike and measure distance, speed etc on that? I have only been able to find women's that were for running so far.

The most I'd spend on this is €250. It's my post leaving cert treat. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Try reading through this page from dcrainmaker - its his recommendations on GPS watches for various functions.

The Garmin 210 is the one that will prob fit you best.
    I have the Timex Run Trainer - its a bit more bulky, but I'm used to it & love how easily customised it is.

Specifically for Triathlon, you have the Garmin 310 & 910.
    These are obviously more expensive as they cope for multiple sports.

Then there's the little known Magellan Switch & Switch Up - I like the idea of it, but don't know if it's actually on sale anywhere yet.

In your price range, you're probably looking at the 210, 310 or Timex Run Trainer. Have a look at the reviews on DC Rainmaker & see what meets your requirements.

If you can, get to a shop that has the Garmin's & try them on for size to give you a better idea on what will work. I don't think the Timex is available in any bricks & mortar store here though.

All of them can be attached to a bike, though the Tri specific ones have quick release accessories to prevent delays in transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I have a second hand Garmin 310xt with Premium strap (plus ant+ stick, charger etc) for sale. Perfect working condition. Some paint rubbed off the buttons. Price would be within your budget. PM me if interested! Based in Dublin.

tunney wrote: »
    I have a second hand Garmin 310xt with Premium strap (plus ant+ stick, charger etc) for sale. Perfect working condition. Some paint rubbed off the buttons. Price would be within your budget. PM me if interested! Based in Dublin.

good option for you if price is right. great watch for triathlon. wouldn't be concerned about it being 2nd hand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement