Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice please

Options
  • 31-05-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi

I have a home network setup around an Edimax 3G-6200N router (not the best I suppose but I initially bought it for the 3G capabilities - never even thought of networking back then) ......

Anyways I have a Vostro 1500 connected to the router by a network cable and I stream tv media wirelessly to a Vostro 3550 . For the last few months this has worked fine but in the last week or so I have a lot of interruptions waiting for the stream . Have witnessed this even when sitting with the 3550 in the same room as the router.

I've also noticed the wireless connection between the 3550 and the router drops intermittently for a few seconds and reconnects again . Has been doing so on another laptop in the house also .

I've changed the channels and checked neighbours wifi signals and nothing seems to be clashing ....

Wondering what to do next - Thanks in advance Gav

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Change channel on the router, it's most likely interference. Get inssider on your laptop and see what channels are in use nearby (some devices like video senders won't show up), pick a channel well away from those in use

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

Hi thanks for the reply - as I have mentioned above I have already tried what you have suggested ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sorry, didn't spot that. Did you (or neighbour) introduce anything new to your house lately, video sender, wireless camera, baby monitor etc?

us nothing - but one of our neighbours had a baby in dec - the problem only started in the last week or so tho .... the other neighbour attached to us I'm not sure about as we don't see her at all really .......

so if it is interference - i can get my hands on an old eircom netopia router - could i link this one to the edimax i have and boost the signal that way ?

• Advertisement

asked the neighbours and they said they have been using the baby monitor for months now - the problem only started a few weeks back - and they only use it in the evenings and we have the problem throughout the day - been looking into adding another router but i've read that this will not be a good setup for streaming about the house . So I am wondering will this be my next best option http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338422804&sr=8-1

cheers Gav

Advertisement