Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about Erasmus

Options
  • 31-05-2012 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi, I'm a leaving cert student who had my heart set on teaching Italian and possibly German or Spanish. I wanted to do the course International languages, but I have just been informed by the teaching council that I cannot teach the language without having residency in the country of the language.

My question is if anyone knows whether or not I can split the erasmus and spent it in two different countries? For example Italy and Germany. Half the year in one country and half the year in the other?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I don't think thats possible tbh.

Could you do an Erasmus in one country, and maybe look to do an internship or something in the other country at a seperate time?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 foireannj

I haven't heard of someone doing it before, and I've had a look around and seen no indication on the ucd erasmus options for that. Having said that, I'm a regular arts student, I took last year out to do study abroad, was supposed to come back but got offered an erasmus training place in elsewhere in europe and took a second year out. UCD ermasus office were very helpful in terms of organizing!

I suggest you give Catherine Convery, the erasmus programme officer a call and see what the story is:
    Tel [URL="tel:%2B353%201%20716%208491"] +353 1 716 8491 [/URL]
    Email catherine.m.convery@ucd.ie

Couple of option points:
    I notice from the course description that you can study either german or spanish but not both https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/w_sm_web_inf_viewer_banner.show_major?p_term_code=201100&p_cao_code=DN541&p_major_code=BAU4#bookmarkSG064bookmark I recommend you also ask, particularly in second year up, whether courses specifically qualify you for teaching. I know its not automatic and it would be a shame to come out with the wrong ones!

Lastly, here are specific ucd contacts for different exchanges. http://www.ucd.ie/international/exchanges/outgoing_exchange/destinations/languages_literatures/ and also an opportunity to get excited now about where you might want to go!

Hope that helps (I'm up pressing refresh on the residences booking page, so it kept me distracted!)

Advertisement