Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'I feel like Im never going to get into Medicine' Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

2 people who already have a 2:1 degree?! What are they playing at!

Are you only applying to NUIG then??

Have you sat Bio and Physics yet? Did the leaving cert in 2007 and the nice people in Pearse college assure me it hasnt changed too much....here is hoping..I'm desperately trying to remember by Macbeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Ya and the dean thought she was doing people a favour! In my opinion a 2:1 biomed degree trumps a good leaving cert anyday.

I'll only be applying to Galway, as I'm settled here, getting married end of the year. It has the lowest points anyhow so better chance then Dublin.

I sat the biology yesterday so hoping for a A1 or A2, but not feeling so confident about the physics as i've never studied it before. Im working fulltime so its hard to put in the hours required, but i'll reduce my hours next year as i'll have 6 honours subject, will also have to sit 3 pass subject (french, irish & probably english) as want to put my stronger subjects first. Just aiming for a pass in the ordinary level ones.

I'm also enrolling in the science access course in september. It covers maths, physics, biology & chemistry. It will force me to study all year round as im awful for cramming last minute, and its much cheaper than getting grinds:)

2 people who already have a 2:1 degree?! What are they playing at!

Are you only applying to NUIG then??

Have you sat Bio and Physics yet? Did the leaving cert in 2007 and the nice people in Pearse college assure me it hasnt changed too much....here is hoping..I'm desperately trying to remember by Macbeth.
    The english paper 2 changes every year, different plays, novels, poets etc.

Fair play to you! That sounds good.

Ill prob do Irish, German and Maths as my pass subjects. Then hoping to do well in English,Bio, Chem, Physics and Geography. Also going to do Ag.Science as Im told it is a mix if bio and geog!

I would prefer Dublin as I am from Dublin and you just know Dubs can't handle being outside the county for too long :p but I will be applying for everywhere, hopefully will get in as a mature student, but will have the undergrad route to ''fall back on''.

I've looked up Englsih for next year and Macbeth is on it:D

Good luck with the Physics!!

Im the same way, not sure I could handle living in Dublin, so far away from everyone, it would make the 5yrs very long. Cant remember any Hamlet :-( Ag Science is supposed to be handy points. You do a project during the year worth 20% of the score, only thing is finding a teacher to sign you off on, I'll be doing everything at home, dont think i could handle fulltime school, I'd feel so old at 28yrs :-(. Im tempted to have a go at higher maths with the 25 extra points. Jes you'll have a great start with nursing degree, will you apply as grad entry as well. Only thing its so expensive to go back and do the degree, I'd say you'd end up with student loans of €70k+ ahhhh ........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Bella29

I'm feeling really despondent as the moment as well...the medical prospect for me is so grim! So I didnt get into medicine last year and is currently repeating my leaving cert and feeling that yet again I'm never going to make it in. Is there any point in going to going to college and doing a random course hoping that I will achieve an 2.1 diploma and start medicine again or should repeat another year of Leaving Cert, AGAIN, taking once again a 50/50 chance with the LC? I know what I want in life and I am not ready yet to give up on this seemingly austere dream. However family pressure is so great as my mum said I must go to college this year no matter what as she gave me this year as a last chance to get into medicine. So really I find myself being squeezed into a corner here. Do yous have any advice for a troubled soul like me? I know there are a lot of medical students and potential medical students on here. I'm desperately searching for some advice from people who have made it to the other side and those who are relatively in the same situation as me, taking in account that at the moment, I'm 19 and going to be 20 this July

Could not agree anymore with the sentiment of this post as Jessibelle, my real life buddy will testify to I do spend a lot of time wondering why I am not already the Irish female version of House :rolleyes:

Have a nursing degree, am applying for 2013 entry. Working as a staff nurse and repeating the Leaving cert in the meantime.

Am happy to rant on the subject at anytime if anyone cares to do so :D

I'm a repeat this year as I want to get into medicine again but don't think I'm going to make it. I was thinking of doing a nursing degree and get back in later and this is exactly ur case. Can I ask you what subjects are u repeating this year?

I think you need to look at things in a different light. From my point of view your in a positive position ;) I know it might not seem that way now but believe me when your ten years older you'll know what i mean.

You get only one degree for free, so why waste that on a degree your not interested in, it will cost you a fortune to pay for med school otherwise (€14k a year roughly). It only costs about €300 to resit the leaving cert. Your a great age, and have loads of time. I know it doesn't seem like that now. You might have done better in this years leaving cert than you think. But really it depends on your hpat score. I havent sat it yet but plan on studying for it from july onwards, when really if you think about it, it counts for one third of the points required. Maybe next year you wont have to resit the leaving just improve your hpat if your points are 530+???:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Im in a rather crap position too - being from the North I didnt do the leaving cert - and our equivalent ~ We only do 3 subjects over two years ~ means Ive only done Arts subjects to leaving standard - and didnt do great in them at all. (BCD)

There's no way I could do the Leaving either - not only do I live in the north now but I havnt done anything but English Literature/Drama and Theatre studies/Arts since 2004.

Im hoping to get in as a mature again 2013 , I did sh!t in the HPAT aswell - So im looking at doing 2 Science A Levels in a year instead of taking two years. Maybe that'll give me a better chance.

Bella - Dont let your parents push you - Its your life, and you are old enough to make your own decisions! Dont waste time and money doing a different degree. I did and ended up with a 2:2 - which excludes me from Grad entry (so pretty useless imo) AND leaves me 4 years older - Im 24 now with £12,000 in student debt already.

Borrch - I KNOW. Cant believe NUIG are being so descriminatory! Ageist surely - I didnt think it was allowed - and asking for a Science degree - Now theyre just following some UK schools.

EternalGeek! How I wish I had a useful 1st degree as you! did you get a 2:1? Why dont you go for Grad Med? Even if you go undergrad you'll be able to skip pre med and go straight to the 5yr course!

Ya we're in a crap situation alright, I intend to apply to the hse as a trainee paramedic as well, they're supposed to be recruiting at the end of the year, have to keep all my options open, but would much rather med. If i dont get the points in 2013 i'm not going to resit it again unless i just need to resit the hpat.

Ya i'm not sure what NUIG are getting at. I mean why would i apply there with a 2:1 biomed degree when i can just do a GAMSAT and enter a 4 year degree, at least you'd be competing for alot more places.

• Advertisement

Bella, I personally really regret not just repeating the leaving cert after school. I was not happy during my four years of nursing, and let me tell you it is very very disheartening watching some interns behave like complete and utter morons while bitching about their long hours when you are sitting there as a nurse thinking you would kill to be where they are!!
    I will be repearting and am hoping to do english, irish, maths, german, geography, bio, chem, physics and ag.science.

I technically got a 2:1 but nursing lists it as a 2:2 (They dont tell you that in the prospectus :mad:) so I don't think I can apply for GEP as my official degree says 2:2

Bella, I personally really regret not just repeating the leaving cert after school. I was not happy during my four years of nursing, and let me tell you it is very very disheartening watching some interns behave like complete and utter morons while bitching about their long hours when you are sitting there as a nurse thinking you would kill to be where they are!!
    I will be repearting and am hoping to do english, irish, maths, german, geography, bio, chem, physics and ag.science.

I technically got a 2:1 but nursing lists it as a 2:2 (They dont tell you that in the prospectus :mad:) so I don't think I can apply for GEP as my official degree says 2:2

EternalGeek, you really give me some perspective there, I really thought that life would get easier if you got some sort of a degree but listening to what you said, make me rethink about it all. I guess if our main focus is to become a doctor no matter what then it shouldn't affect me as much about what people might think about me repeating for the second time. Gosh, medicine is such a constant race. I hope we'll get there eventually, soon it'll have to be our turn. There's has to be light at the end of this dark, seemingly endless tunnel

There definitely is! I am 23, I have a degree and in September I am starting a year long repeat leaving certificate course. I know there are people who think I am totally certifiable crazy but to be totally honest I don't give a s**t because I know all I want to do is be a doctor and I am going to keep applying til I wear an admissions office down enough to let me in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

EternalGeek - Where are you doing the LC one year course?

I am doing it in Pearse college :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭51533823

Bella29 wrote: »
    I'm feeling really despondent as the moment as well...the medical prospect for me is so grim! So I didnt get into medicine last year and is currently repeating my leaving cert and feeling that yet again I'm never going to make it in. Is there any point in going to going to college and doing a random course hoping that I will achieve an 2.1 diploma and start medicine again or should repeat another year of Leaving Cert, AGAIN, taking once again a 50/50 chance with the LC? I know what I want in life and I am not ready yet to give up on this seemingly austere dream. However family pressure is so great as my mum said I must go to college this year no matter what as she gave me this year as a last chance to get into medicine. So really I find myself being squeezed into a corner here. Do yous have any advice for a troubled soul like me? I know there are a lot of medical students and potential medical students on here. I'm desperately searching for some advice from people who have made it to the other side and those who are relatively in the same situation as me, taking in account that at the moment, I'm 19 and going to be 20 this July

You can repeat the LC until the cows come home but each year spend doing it gives you very little extra outside of a shot at med (which is a bit up in the air with the HPAT and the Health Minister is talking of scrapping it anyway).

At least if you head to uni and start a physiology degree you'll be earning something that is an achievement on its own and can then be used not only to get you into medicine (if you still want to do it) but also to help you through it. If you want to do med then at least you'll enjoy the physiology degree.

I'm not sure what age you are but don't worry too much about time. If you were in the US or Canada you would have to do a degree first and then (graduate entry) medicine. Around the world it is normal to start med aged 24/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

Sorry for this long reply but I just saw this thread and noticed how many people are considering or have already decided on going back to repeat the leaving as mature student to get into medicine.

I'm 23 and I just finished repeating in IOE this year and thought i'd share my experience. I already have a science degree but unfortunately just missed out on the 2.1. It was suggested to me to go back and do the leaving again. Everyone of course said it'll be so easy because you already have a degree but let me tell you know it most definately is not.

I took 9 subjects. English, Irish and French at ordinary level and then I took Biology, Chem, Physics, Agricultural Science and Agricultural Economics all at higher level. I just finished my exams last thursday I am still exhausted. I have to say this year was a lot harder then I thought it was going to be.

Be prepared to give up a lot of time with friends and your social life. I worked extremely hard this year and still feel I didnt get enough points. I let the stress and nerves get to me at the end and under the exam pressure made some stupid mistakes that I really should not have made. And believe me the stress will get to you at some stage of the year. I usually don't get very stressed but the Leaving cert changed that.

I think you should keep in mind that repeating is a good idea when you're older because you are now more mature and realise what you want but you still have to keep in mind that you're covering 9 different nine subjects in 9 months rather than the usual 17/18 year olds that are covering the courses in 2 years. I have to admitted the subject matter is easier to understand now but the volume of information you have to learn is unbelievable. Also you have to keep in mind that knowing the subject matter is fine but to get A1s you need to know the information to perfection.

What also really got on my nerves was the way the leaving cert is actually marked. If you answer a question your explanation may be correct but if its not in the marking schemes then you get a big fat zero for the question even though you may be right :mad:. Also if you're thinking about taking Higher Maths the new Projects Maths is very different to the old course and Maths is changing again this year.

Time is also so important this year. At the beginning you think you have so much time to do everything but that quickly changes. Especially after christmas your study time can really takes a hit. The middle term is the worst. You have project deadlines, orals and hpat to study for and believe me they definately take more time than you think they will. Also if you're thinking about doing Agricultural Science just to warn you my project was about 14,000 words long (longer then my thesis in college) and my project wasnt even the biggest in my class. The teacher can only give so many projects A1s so competition for those marks is high. ( Like everything with the leaving cert I suppose)

I meet a few other people 23/24 years old who went back and repeated and it didnt work out. I thought repeating the leaving was my ticket in but unfortunately I think I'll either have to repeat again or depending on points just take the hpat again.

I know all the above sounds pretty bad but tbh I dont regret the year. It was extremely stressfull but I'm still glad I did it and just have my fingers crossed that I did better in my exams than I think I did.

If you would like anymore advice, about orals, projects, hpat etc just pm me and best of luck to all of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Fiddles44 wrote: »
    Sorry for this long reply but I just saw this thread and noticed how many people are considering or have already decided on going back to repeat the leaving as mature student to get into medicine.

I'm 23 and I just finished repeating in IOE this year and thought i'd share my experience. I already have a science degree but unfortunately just missed out on the 2.1. It was suggested to me to go back and do the leaving again. Everyone of course said it'll be so easy because you already have a degree but let me tell you know it most definately is not.

I took 9 subjects. English, Irish and French at ordinary level and then I took Biology, Chem, Physics, Agricultural Science and Agricultural Economics all at higher level. I just finished my exams last thursday I am still exhausted. I have to say this year was a lot harder then I thought it was going to be.

Be prepared to give up a lot of time with friends and your social life. I worked extremely hard this year and still feel I didnt get enough points. I let the stress and nerves get to me at the end and under the exam pressure made some stupid mistakes that I really should not have made. And believe me the stress will get to you at some stage of the year. I usually don't get very stressed but the Leaving cert changed that.

I think you should keep in mind that repeating is a good idea when you're older because you are now more mature and realise what you want but you still have to keep in mind that you're covering 9 different nine subjects in 9 months rather than the usual 17/18 year olds that are covering the courses in 2 years. I have to admitted the subject matter is easier to understand now but the volume of information you have to learn is unbelievable. Also you have to keep in mind that knowing the subject matter is fine but to get A1s you need to know the information to perfection.

What also really got on my nerves was the way the leaving cert is actually marked. If you answer a question your explanation may be correct but if its not in the marking schemes then you get a big fat zero for the question even though you may be right :mad:. Also if you're thinking about taking Higher Maths the new Projects Maths is very different to the old course and Maths is changing again this year.

Time is also so important this year. At the beginning you think you have so much time to do everything but that quickly changes. Especially after christmas your study time can really takes a hit. The middle term is the worst. You have project deadlines, orals and hpat to study for and believe me they definately take more time than you think they will. Also if you're thinking about doing Agricultural Science just to warn you my project was about 14,000 words long (longer then my thesis in college) and my project wasnt even the biggest in my class. The teacher can only give so many projects A1s so competition for those marks is high. ( Like everything with the leaving cert I suppose)

I meet a few other people 23/24 years old who went back and repeated and it didnt work out. I thought repeating the leaving was my ticket in but unfortunately I think I'll either have to repeat again or depending on points just take the hpat again.

I know all the above sounds pretty bad but tbh I dont regret the year. It was extremely stressfull but I'm still glad I did it and just have my fingers crossed that I did better in my exams than I think I did.

If you would like anymore advice, about orals, projects, hpat etc just pm me and best of luck to all of you

Hey, just how did you go about paying for the year? I know the IOE charge about 7k, but this in combination with living costs and the fact that you weren't working, seems quite unaffordable, even though it's something I really need to consider.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

TC80 wrote: »
    Can I just offer one or two observations, based on nearly a decade as a doctor.

To the OP and all prospective medical students. Don't make getting in to medicine your everest, your four-minute-mile. Whether you get it or not, the sun will still come up tomorrow morning and there will be a whole new set of joys and challenges. In medicine, and other areas in life, every hurdle you jump puts you on the bottom rung of a new ladder. And those of you who follow the medical press will realise the number of ladders is being increased all the time.

Always, always, always be as defined by what you do outside medicine as what you do inside it. This applies as much to the first year student as to the senior consultant. This involves making sacrifices and compromises. The most dedicated, committed, saintly doctors are sadly often those who are the most psychologically burdened. Dig deeper ad you'll find a lot of pain in their personal lives, believe me. And a large part of tlit is because they lost that balance and the ability to draw boundaries.

The reason I am online at 2 am is because of something that happened at work today. After busting a gut working for a very sick patient all week I was on the receiving end of a volley of abuse today from 6 of his family members. The criticism was deeply personal and unjustified. I will have worked 94 hours by the end of this week, as well as having written two papers for submission to journals. To do all that and be accused of not making an effort hurts. And the kicker is that in the current climate you can't really argue back and defend yourself, unless you fancy a trip to the medical council and being a front page star of deeply distorted headlines on every paper in Ireland. You can only sit there meekly and apologise for things you never did. I feel like an idiot for hyping myself up so much back 14 years ago to get into med school. I can't sleep for thinking about it. Do I
    regret studying medicine? No. What I do regret is losing balance in my life. I regret allowing myself to be defined by my work. I deeply regret staying in this country.

I hope all of you get into med school and make a better fist of a life in medicine than I have but please never lose sight of the fact that as a human being you are worth a whole lot more than life as a junior doctor will allow you to believe you are. Good luck in your exams.

Wow.
    One of the best post i've read on Boards.
    And one of the most honest i've read from another doctor.
    This is great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Leinsterview

Wow.
    One of the best post i've read on Boards.
    And one of the most honest i've read from another doctor.
    This is great advice.
    Speaking as another doc, I'll second that.

• Advertisement

Speaking as another doc, I'll second that.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79487768

Are you thinking of repeating Medicine. :confused::p

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79488142

Or going back to do Biomedical Science. :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79487768

Are you thinking of repeating Medicine. :confused::p

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79488142

Or going back to do Biomedical Science. :)

No. Just doing some recce on behalf of a daughter who is thinking of following in Daddy's footsteps.

No. Just doing some recce on behalf of a daughter who is thinking of following in Daddy's footsteps.

Oh OK. :)
    Very good.
    You haven't managed to change her mind then? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

@ bella29- I really really think that you shouldn't let your mother push you into going to college. If medicine is the only thing you want then realistically the most straightforward and cheapest way for you to achieve it is to repeat the LC and HPAT again.

@people wondering about NUIG- they only offer 2 places per year as someone mentioned, and have done so for the past number of years. Its for people in other healthcare professions- in my year they chose a pharmacist and a biomed graduate who was working in a lab. I haven't heard any other talk of offering places for graduate entry.

Oh OK. :)
    Very good.
    You haven't managed to change her mind then? :p

Like most people in these situations I have mixed feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭PeadarGalway

Bella, don't feel despondent; it is a great thing that you know exactly what you want to do with your life, and you have the drive to get it. You want to be a doctor, but the system (LC + HPAT) is getting in your way, as it does with many other potentially great doctors.

Personally I would go to college, do a degree in a related area (something in science, I'm sure some of the others will be able to guide you more on this) and then go sit the GAMSAT. In fact that is what I have done! I didn't realise that I wanted to be a doctor in school, so I did arts. This year I studied for the GAMSAT and thankfully got a good mark. It is doable, it just takes work, and with a science related degree you will have a great advantage.

Quite frankly, I'm happy I didn't go straight into medicine! I've had four years of college where I've had the chance to live, learn how to study (school does NOT prepare you for college), travel and party hard. In short I've matured! At 23 years of age, I feel way more equipped to deal with a medical career right now.

If you're worried about how long it'll take do the math: 3 years of degree, plus 4 years of gradmed VS 6 years of medicine.... It's just an extra year!

The decision of course is totally up to you. Just don't forget that there is a way around everything. Sometimes it is hard to look outside the box when you're so driven to accomplish something.

Best of luck whatever you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭foreverandever

I would recommending repeating the LC one last time, what points are you on at the moment? Think of the money you would save by going in as an undergrad. You're looking at fees (registration fees) of about 3000-5000e plus expenses(living,food etc) vs 12000-15000e plus expenses as a postgrad course. If you can't get into medicine I would recommend pharmacy as it would really help you with your medical degree rather than just science or arts.

Hey, just how did you go about paying for the year? I know the IOE charge about 7k, but this in combination with living costs and the fact that you weren't working, seems quite unaffordable, even though it's something I really need to consider.

Thanks.

It does cost a fair bit alright. I was lucky that I had been working so had money saved and also had help from my family. I also worked during the christmas holidays and when I had any long breaks. I know of a few others that were able to get loans from banks. Unfortunately if this is your only option it's going to be expensive :(

Abby19 wrote: »
    FairytaleGirl - a few quick questions and pointers about applications. You may have all of these covered, but I have heard of a few who hadn't, so just in case ...

Just wondering did you meet all the matriculation requirements for entry? It looks as though you are from Derry?
    For TCD the Advanced GCE (A-Level) requirements are Grade B + Grade C In two of physics, chemistry or biology. If you do not have a qualification in physics you must present GCSE mathematics at grade B or better. This could vary in other colleges.

If you are going in as an undergraduate or mature you still need to meet the matriculation requirements, e.g. certain grades in Chemistry and Biology, etc. I know some people who applied and didn't have two sciences in the LC, but assumed that as they had a science degree, that would suffice. It doesn't. It is a bit like the 2:1 requirement for Grad Med, regardless of higher degrees, e.g. Masters and PhDs.
    I know quite a few people with degrees who have sat or are sitting LC Chemistry and/or Biology to meet the requirements. I also know of someone with a degree who went back and repeated the entire leaving cert and got in with LC and HPAT as undergraduate.

Also you can tailor your applications for each of the colleges a bit. At least that is what I was told when I applied.
    TCD only accept their supplemental application form. You need to apply through the CAO, but they don't look at your application, so you can focus on UCD/UCC/RCSI who do. Though RCSI also asks for a separate submission. TCD at the time did not accept references, and I was told that even if I attached my references to my application they would not be copied or provided to the interviewers.

Lastly in the mature part of the CAO form I found it very difficult to try and paint myself in any positive light with the formatting limitations of an online form. So the first couple of sections on academic record and qualifications, etc., I filled out online, but for the CV part, I prepared various documents in Word and put something like. 'Please see separate document sent by post.' into the application form. That way my work experience and stuff like that I could format properly and make my application a bit more professional looking.
    I did the same for the TCD form as well. Filled the first few pages by hand (they do like to see some handwriting apparently) and for the latter bits I attached typed up sections. It also meant I could include more info on a typed page than an handwritten one.

I helped out at some of the mature student evenings and these were some of the common questions that came up. And I know this approach has worked for others applying for mature medicine.

As for age - there is currently an intern in their late 50s/early 60s in Tallaght hospital. Most of the North Americans who come over to study Medicine have undergraduate degrees, so you would be at the younger end of their age range. Medicine is 4-6 years, then intern year, then SHO training (2-3 years), SPR training (3-5 years), so it is a long slog if it is not what you really want. GP is 4 years after intern year assuming you get on a training scheme.

Many people are not successful on their first application - it is heartbreaking, but really, really common.

If you have any further questions feel free to PM me. If you want you could send me on your application and I'll give you feedback.

Hey Abbey19, I just wondering what kind of experience did you have before applying for mature entry?

I've been working in a nursing home since I was 16 and then once I went to college I worked there every summer full time, so in total I have about 6/7 years experience working there. I was a youth volunteer when I was 17 and helped bring a group of sick and elder people to Lourdes and during my transition year I volunteered in a local psychiatric rehabilation center. The only recent experience I would have though would be working in the nursing home as a care assistant. I'm currently looking into volunteering in my local hospital but the only volunteering available is visiting around the wards and talking to the patients and running earns for them. It's better than nothing i suppose but not exactly what I'm looking for.
    I'm finding it quite difficult to get any experience with actually doctors and patients because of the strict confidentiality.

I have a science degree but went back and repeated the leaving cert this year but unfortunately I don't think I got the points. I'm prepared to repeat again if needs be but I'm afraid it might not look the best if I'm doing it for a third time but then again they might look at is as commitment to getting in, I hope.

Just looking for some advice really

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what the hpat cut off scores were for mature entry last year?

Advertisement